Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 05:46:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW BATTERIES  (Read 663 times)
pete36330

my mc9 ,,gonna finish it one day ,,

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2014, 08:08:28 AM »

I've noticed lots of the stores that sell batteries have them on the shelf a lot longer than a yr. or more, How much does a flooded battery degrade over a period of time before it is considered no go for use anyone ..I've gotten different answer from different people ,,could someone explain, thanks
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 10:07:39 AM »

I've noticed lots of the stores that sell batteries have them on the shelf a lot longer than a yr. or more, How much does a flooded battery degrade over a period of time before it is considered no go for use anyone ..I've gotten different answer from different people ,,could someone explain, thanks   

I'm not an expert on these but I've looked at that same question.  I think that the best answer (as in most things complicated) is "It Depends ..."

Basically, if the retailer is careful (a full charge and a good check with a load tester when he receives the battery or -- if the battery was delivered "dry", when he adds acid), then a complete re-charge and short float at intervals while it's on his shelf), then a battery will come off his shelf in good condition, even after a few months.
     There are two issues with this -- the first is that most retailers aren't that careful.  The second is that even if a battery is kept charged on the shelf, it's life is partly taken up by those months on the shelf. 

You might think of battery life like this -- there are three conditions:
1)  Perfect battery maintenance -- When the battery is new, it's given a careful, correct acid fill and is given the best "break-in" conditioning charge.  Then it is immediately put into a vehicle and the vehicle owner gives the battery good maintenance (keeping it charged, keeping water levels correct, doing an equalize cycle when needed, protecting it from temperature extremes when not in use, etc.)  Let's say that under these "perfect" conditions, a battery will last for 8 years.
2)  Perfect battery maintenance, with some shelf time -- this would be like #1 but with storage (under excellently-maintained conditions) of a year on a shelf.  Under these conditions, you could still expect a long service life but the battery would probably only last 7 years in the vehicle.
3)  Not very good maintenance in storage -- this would be for a battery that's not well set up when it is put in storage and is allowed to sit there partially discharged and unmaintained for a while.  It may "look good" - good sitting battery voltage, apparently taking and holding a charge well, etc. -- but if "sitting damage" or sulfation has taken place, the battery may only last 3-4-5 years in service, even if the owner maintains it well once it is in the vehicle.

So, to be sure of the absolutely best battery service, you want a battery that is well setup when new and doesn't sit on a shelf.  Some owners will only accept a battery that is setup and serviced at the time of sale (i.e. no shelf time).  Others will accept a short time 2-3 months, if the know that the battery was correctly set up at the time that it was put on the shelf.

There's no exact answer, but I think that you can see that the time and effort (which translates into money that the retailer will have to put into the battery) of conditioning the battery when new, and the time that it spends on the shelf both make a difference.  Be sure that you know how knowledgeable and thorough your retailer is, then make your decision on how much shelf life you will accept.

(Mostly here I'm thinking of wet-cell batteries - similar but different factors may apply to different types of batteries.  There's a lot of judgment needed for individual circumstances.)

HTH,  BH  NC   USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 10:46:04 AM »

All batteries have a date, coded like A13, Jan 2013 for example, never buy a battery over 60 days old, they do deteriate / discharge on the shelf, dig thru the stock of the Group # your after, fibd the fresh one if there are any.
A battery over 60 days old will never give the service that a fresh battery will.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 12:21:35 PM »

All batteries have a date, coded like A13, Jan 2013 for example, never buy a battery over 60 days old, they do deteriate / discharge on the shelf, dig thru the stock of the Group # your after, fibd the fresh one if there are any.
A battery over 60 days old will never give the service that a fresh battery will.
Dave M   

My note above is the theory.  This is the practical advice that I follow, too!

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 01:46:29 PM »

Almost any reliable source will tell you never to buy a batt more than three months old unless you get a huge discount and the original warranty.

I've never seen an old batt at WM so I assume they send them back.

One could not expect a dealer to tell you his old batts are no good!! It is also fantasy to expect that a dealer keeps his batts charged, it is just another stock item to them and instructions recommend that all new batts be charged before use!

Being the skeptic I am I also suspect the batts are not dated until just before they are shipped!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 01:58:19 PM »

The table below shows the normal storage time or shelf life at various ambient temperatures.

Temperature Shelf Life
0°  C (  32° F) to 20° C (  68° F)  12 months
21° C (  70° F) to 30° C (  86° F)   9 months
31° C (  88° F) to 40° C ( 104° F)   5 months
41° C (106° F) to 50° C ( 122° F)   2.5 months
and...
Since any battery loses capacity through self-discharge, it is recommended that a “top-charging” be applied to any battery which has been stored for a long period of time, prior to putting the battery into service.  Excepting conditions in which storage temperatures have been abnormally high, top charging is recommended within the following parameters:

Battery Age Top Charging Recommendations for "shelf purchased"

Within 6 months after manufacture:     
  4 to 6 hours at constant current of 0.1CA, or 15 to 20 hours at constant voltage of 2.40 volts per cell.

Within 12 months after manufacture:
  8 to 10 hours at constant current of 0.1CA, or 20 to 24 hours at constant voltage of 2.40 volts per cell. 

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
pete36330

my mc9 ,,gonna finish it one day ,,

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 02:53:46 PM »

Thanks for all the advice ,,I went to my local motorcycle shop to buy a new battery for my bike ..He took one off the shelf that he had almost 18months ,,I told him no thanks ,,He said why? I told him its too old ,,,He said I don't know what I'm talking about ,,,it's still a new battery..Anyway  I didn't buy it, When I buy the batteries for my bus house bank ,,I'll be sure that they  are all the same date and not over 60 days old,,,
I'm old but I learn something everyday,,
thanks for all the responses  Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: