Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:26:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cabinet Doors  (Read 1091 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:46:22 AM »

I just ordered 28 cabinet doors of custom size from Barker Doors in Tualiton, Or. You can order any custom size in 1/16" increments. I ordered Shaker doors in red oak, not finished, but sanded ready to finish with no hardware. The 28 doors with shipping came out to be just under $1,000. I couldn't make them that cheap (including my time and the equipment I'd have to buy). Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:25:46 AM »

Are the shaker door flat or beaded ? doors sell by the square ft around 10 bucks a sq ft for flat shakers fwiw

I found a buy in Temple Tx a few years back for a 1 buck a door they were so cheap I gave Dreamscape enough to do his bus lol doors are expensive sounds like Tom didn't too bad for CA prices 

Life is short drink the good wine first
Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 01:43:14 PM »

Tom, who did you use for the cab boxes?   Thx for the door reference.  I'll be checking them out.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 03:12:16 PM »

I made my cabinets myself since I wanted pass through cabinets without particians to use every inch available-can't do that with bought kitchen cabinets. I used 3/4" Birch covered furniture grade plywood with 1x2 red oak strips. Birch and red oak have favorable coloring to match. I don't like oak covered plywood-it is too brittle. Walls are screwed and glued, cabinets are put together by brackets only to allow for flex. If needed, you can then take the cabinet apart in a short period and put it back together easily. With the oak strips, it is very strong.  Good Luck, TomC

Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 03:28:39 PM »

Excellent!  Thx. 
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 03:31:02 PM »

I made my cabinets myself ...  

Same here.  But I'm not a very experienced woodworker and I don't have all the patience in the world (a very bad combo), so I had a cabinet maker build me a "face" - the outer panel of the cabinets, with the door and drawer tracks already hung.  Nobody but me will ever see my "not 100% neat" construction inside the cabinets but the cost of just the visible panels was *much* lower than having entire cabinets made.  
    That worked for me.    BH   NC   USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »

I made my cabinets myself since I wanted pass through cabinets without particians to use every inch available-can't do that with bought kitchen cabinets. I used 3/4" Birch covered furniture grade plywood with 1x2 red oak strips. Birch and red oak have favorable coloring to match. I don't like oak covered plywood-it is too brittle. Walls are screwed and glued, cabinets are put together by brackets only to allow for flex. If needed, you can then take the cabinet apart in a short period and put it back together easily. With the oak strips, it is very strong.  Good Luck, TomC

hey tom,

This flex sounds like an interesting concept. Could you post pics of the cabinets?

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 01:43:47 PM »

What were your doors made from Tom?
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 02:35:06 PM »

He said red oak Eric I would like to know the square footage of the 28 doors shaker doors are that hard to build IMO you don't need all the computerized stuff like you have  Roll Eyes but it would be nice
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:27:17 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 09:26:37 AM »

The cabinet doors were delivered Friday in 5 custom made boxes tightly wrapped. I looked at one of the doors and the workmanship is flawless and top notch. On the inside of the door is a label with the measurements of that doors making installation no question as to where it goes (some of my doors varied by 1/16" because of the curvature of the ceiling). And at $35.46ea (still have to finish and add hardware) I couldn't make them myself at that price. Highly recommend Barker Doors. Good Luck, TomC

Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »

Sounds great Tom, Pics when you can Please Grin
M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
Pages: [1]   Go Up