Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 05:25:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding Steps at the Front Door  (Read 356 times)
DKO

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2014, 12:46:41 PM »

My bus was ordered by the original owner with a mid door. In fact he ordered the empty shell from Prevost exactly like he wanted it and then he shopped the conversion among several converters. He left much of the correspondence inside and it was still there after a second owner and a long stay on a dealer's lot.

It has a working front door too with storage space behind it. The paperwork seems to indicate that the area inside the front door should be set aside for storage and that nothing be placed in the way so that steps could be added later if desired. He may have been trying to help the resale potential, I don't know.

From the first day we saw it we thought we would probably add steps in the front and put drawers in the risers to make up for the lost storage. The cruise airs are gone so the area behind is wide open so space for drawers is not a problem. That area is only accessible now by folding down the front bumper.

I have a friend in this area who has offered to help me do it. I will only be in this area for about 10 more days and the weather may not cooperate with us but I need to lay out a plan just in case. And even if we do not get to do it now it is something I would like to work on in the future.

What material is usually used to build the front steps? My friend and I are both comfortable working with wood. I am not overweight on the front axle but I know I need to be mindful of that. I did not weigh the bus before I removed the two cruise air units but I know I gained some capacity there.

Anybody have drawers in your steps? Any guidance on hardware for the drawers or construction ideas?

What material would you suggest to cover the steps? We have engineered hardwood throughout the bus including the mid door steps so that is an option. Tile is not an option but I am open to other suggestions. We have seen a rubber like material in some buses and even though it does not look great my wife would like to investigate options like that.

I am open to any comments and advice you have. Thanks in advance for your help.

Davy

Home is where you go when there's no place else to go!
1995/96 Prevost XL Vantare
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:38:31 PM »

I have a transit that came with both side doors. We use the front door mostly. The rear side door-I built the bathroom inside that door so if you're outside, or at the beach, you can enter directly into the bathroom without going through the bus. It makes for not bringing sand in when at the beach. Both doors have 3/4" plywood hinged trap doors that are powered with the old air cylinders that were used for the by fold doors typical on a transit. I now have RV style doors.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: