Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 11:27:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jake Brakes on an 8V92  (Read 2221 times)
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 02:31:37 PM »

My experience with Jakes is with mid 70's early 80's 71 series motors in heavy 12 yard end dumps. and I can see the need on rock hauls and D1 type heavy gravel loads....as in overloaded.
My Eagle doesn't have them and frankly I see no need.
Every grade in the Sierras, Arizona and NM, Idaho, from Las Vegas to Tucson and all of the Alaska Hwy. thru The Canadian Rocky's and dog knows where else and I had no loss of lunch or gone in to extreme pucker seizure Grin Grin Grin.

Would they be nice...maybe, but that are not necessary.
Do I have some, yes. But in 10 years, I have not come off a grade and said I won't do that again without installing my Jakes. And that includes Tioga Pass up and down into Lee Vining, CA.
Mine are in a milk crate wrapped in oil absorbents, plenty well preserved....I should raffle them off... Grin
Like Clifford says, just my way.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 03:17:59 PM »

Don't know about the cost but I wouldn't do without mine on my 91. Have 2 different setting with a toggle switch on dash.  Don't use the brakes much if you drive looking ahead. It will shut it down fairly well. PS, the sound is great also.

glen s.
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »

Gee, 40+ yrs ago when i drove the 318 & 13 speed, never had the Jake brakes, wanted them, but the company was not about to install them on the trucks, so you learned mountains with out them, never an issue, but going down some mountains was a slow trip.
Today I enjoy the Allison retarder that provides 2,000 ft lb restriction to driveshaft, depending on the gear, it can be an eye opener as everything comes forward.  Much better than the Jake setup, along with the disk brakes, it stops almost like a car, impressibe.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 07:19:46 PM »

Jake brakes are so accepted by the trucking industry, that the new Detroit DD13, DD15, DD16 (OM471, OM472, OM473 Mercedes-Benz versions) have Jake brakes built in as standard equipment. Cummins ISX12 is an option. ISX15 it is also built in.

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »

Jake brakes are so accepted by the trucking industry, that the new Detroit DD13, DD15, DD16 (OM471, OM472, OM473 Mercedes-Benz versions) have Jake brakes built in as standard equipment. Cummins ISX12 is an option. ISX15 it is also built in.

That's great they are all 4 strokes.....if I had a bundle of cash I'd have a retarder. That would do for a 2 stroke what Jakes do for a 4.
back in the day they used Spicers and 5&4 speed for a reason.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 04:37:55 AM »

The integrated engines brakes on the new engines are nothing like a old Jake you set those for the speed like a cruise control one wants to go down a grade and forget it like 40 mph that is where it will stay without ever touching a switch if it starts to speed up the computer will change to a lower gear or a different stage some of those have the Variable Valve Actuation for smog control along with rocker stop and easy start those are high tech not just a off and on switch the driver flips

I went back and did my home work the Jakes came out in 1961 for Cummins only, the first year for a Jakes on a 2 stroke was 1967 on the 12v71 fwiw lol I wonder how Greyhound and Trailways ever ran coast to coast without Jakes in the 60's and 70's    

Jake does not support the older Jakes for the 2 stroke all parts now are made by PacBrake that is where the DD dealers buy theirs and that is where I buy mine also to stay away from the DD dealer high prices like the jumper tube o-ring for $3.85 they charge  

good luck    
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:51:27 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 09:52:43 AM »

Let's see; going down a long mountain grade, one of those oil seals start leaking all over the brake shoes on one side of 2 axle conversion coach....suddenly....there is a major obstruction blocking both lanes around the curve.....grease packed bearings Smiley and or jake brakes for piece of mind.
   Seriously though, I desire jakes on the two stroke engine coaches, even though careful and attentive driving got me down all the mountain grades on our 4104. If I hadn't move to the 4905 (with jakes), I would've added them to former ride.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 10:46:17 AM »

Jakes are not all that popular to day on buses 90% will have a retarder with the 4 stroke engines 

wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 11:26:16 AM »

Clifford,

Do you have a source for reasonably priced jumper tube seal rings? That's the last item I need to complete my set.

Thanks,

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 11:26:49 AM »

It is not a matter of a mere loyalty to Jakes.  The issue is having some sort of decent auxiliary braking.  Jakes just happen to be common and a relatively cheap and easy retrofit.  One can do without extra braking just as one can do without an automatic transmission.  However, they both provide a huge enhancement to the experience.  Plus Jakes increase safety significantly also.

Anyway, you can start a fire with a match or by rubbing some sticks together. It's just personal preference.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 12:13:42 PM »

Bob I get mine from TecBrake or call Pacbrake and they will give you a name of a distributor in your area,just drop me a address and I will drop you 4 in a envelope I have plenty and owe you one anyway do you need any jumper tube ?, lol I need to get off this Jake brake post I am seeing feathers starting to ruffle 

good luck 

Mike in GA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 12:48:46 PM »

I have a mechanical 8v92 TA with a five speed. Bought used Jakes on eBay at a great price. Apparently they came out of an Oregon log truck. When my mechanic looked at them he said they all needed to be rebuilt, and so I had to buy a kit that was more than the 'great deal' I had gotten on eBay. Then I had to find a buffer switch and high valve covers. Then it took my mechanic a couple of days (or perhaps less I don't recall) to do the installation.
     It was pricey, but in the end I have to say I love them. Real piece of mind coming down Fancy Gap or some of those western passes.
     YMMV.
Mike in GA

Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for more than 14 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 01:07:56 PM »

One needs to know what he is buying when it comes to Jakes, Red Ryder bought a set that was so wore out in the control valve port there was no rebuilding to his he had to purchase another set he could have paid the $2,034.00 for a new set after he was through

wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »

Clifford,

Thanks for the generous offer and the info. I sent you an email with my address.

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: