Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 02:33:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pressure Pro sensors  (Read 584 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2014, 05:51:16 PM »

In talking with a tech guy at Pressure Pro a while back, he told me that the little nut they put on the valve stem is only to try to prevent theft, that the sensors would not fall off without them.  Well that turns out to be only partially true.  I lost two off my Jeep on this last trip.  My guess is that although the sensors would not fall off on regular paved roads, they do loosen up on the washboard dirt roads we were driving the Jeep on. I am a little annoyed at myself for not realizing this beforehand as also with the tech guy for not qualifying his statement.  Anyway, I thought that I would pass this warning along.

The best price I have seen for replacements is around $40/each.  Does anyone know a better price than that? 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:38:43 PM »

Call Pressure Pro directly.  They may give you a deal on new ones.  I called them about getting the new style seals and mentioned I needed a new sensor as I broke one and expected to pay full price.  They gave me a discounted price on the replacement sensor.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 09:17:38 PM »

This is why I like the sensors that mount inside the tires. Check this out- http://www.valortpms.com/ Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »

I have had the pressure pro for seven years and never lost one and don't have any lock nuts . Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »

I spoke to Dwain at Pressure Pro.  He is the man I spoke to a couple of years ago and said that they do not fall off.  He is a wealth of anecdotal information about the system since he seems to mentally catalogue all the feedback he gets.  We have driven thousands of miles on highways without these loosening, but my belief is that driving 40-50 mph on the dirt roads was what did the trick.  He said that there is the possibility that rubber valve stems would contribute to the risk in those conditions.  I will consider using metal stems for the Jeep next tire time.  For now, I will use the locknuts if going off road.

Tom- An internal sensor would help for this as well as the risk of theft, but this is what we have for now.

Brian- They gave me their discounted price of $39, a whole dollar cheaper than some internet seller.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 03:54:15 PM »

The last time I bought a sensor the cheapest I could find was $46 and they were out of stock.  I see Vulcan Tire has them for $40 now.  I had the stems on my trailer changed over to metal valve stems for $10 each.  I had read too many horror stories of rubber valve stems breaking due to the weight.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: