Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 17, 2014, 05:25:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New project  (Read 4188 times)
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 12:55:16 PM »

Bryce were looking at the weekend of March 1 which is a Sunday and planning to be there on Saturday because I'm bringing a Harley with me that I'm selling to a guy in Illinois, that going to meet at your place as well to take delivery!
Gonna be a busy and nerve racking week for me!
I just hope it all goes smoothly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 01:02:02 PM »

Ace- Looks really very nice.  I do like the idea of truck conversions.  About 6 months ago, there was a guy selling a 40 footer on Craigslist not to far from here.  It was built on a cabover like Tom C's, but it did not have the walk through from the driver's area, was manual transmission, and did not have the garage.  I thought about it, but considering how minimal our usage is and how dangerous I am with my tiny 35 footer, we decided to stand pat.

Looks like you have made a good move.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »

Looking back from unfinished sleeper

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 02:34:12 PM »

Lin this truck is about as big as our present coach and might even be 2' longer according to seller. I won't know until I measure it myself.
I think it's a diamond in the rough so to speak. It's a project truck needing all plumbing lines, tanks an a/c unit and the sleeper area finished not to mention the exterior cosmetics! Yes it needs a lot of attention but Susan and I are willing to invest our time and money into finishing it and to be able to use it more ways than we use our bus! Some people will call me names for giving up my bus for a truck that needs so much more but it's our decision, not theirs! It's for our needs, again not theirs!
Like I said, the basic foundation for a very nice conversion is already layed out. I'm sure Tom or Robert would agree that it makes no difference if it's a bus or a truck, as long as your enjoying it! I know there are class C campers that are owned by some here and they use them and they aren't buses but the main thing is, they are enjoying the use of them! That's what we intend to do!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
travlinman

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »

Ace

Very cool thanks for sharing the photos!

A couple of questions - Two drive axels or a tag?

- What type of driveline? - Engine, trans etc..

Enjoy

TM

Steve & Kristen Full time nomads since '06 - PD4106-674  8V71/V730
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 03:37:06 PM »

Thanks!
The truck has two drive axles, no tag but you only use one drive axle locked while driving! The other is used if you get stuck!
It has a DD series 60 with a 10 speed eaton

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 04:10:02 PM »

On a tandem drive all 4 sets of wheels are equally powering. When one looses grip, it spins. Then you engage the lockout. But if one tire on the right and the other on the other axle on the left is spinning, your stuck. Some axles also have traction control that locks up all 4 sets of wheels-but makes it hard to turn-like a bull dozer. Now with ABS braking, also have electronic traction control that will apply the brakes to the spinning wheel to get the power to the other wheels. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 04:14:44 PM »

Yea what Tom said was a better explanation!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »

I have seen logging trucks with lockers on tandem axles put one chain on one wheel to get out of a slippery spot, because they can be all locked together.

Ace, it doesn't look like anybody here or BNO is bothered by you turning from buses to trucks. I myself would love to get a truck too. I have no experience with them at all, but I am a closet trucker... As much as I love buses, being a bus nut since I started driving them at 20 years old, I can see how a truck would be more practical in a lot of ways. For example for all these trips I made with the bus and trailer up dusty or muddy dirt roads to dirt bike races. Or towing my wife's horses to horse shows. But for me, it probably will have to wait until my next life: can't do it all the first go around... And I still love my bus.

Enjoy your truck.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 05:04:38 PM »

JC it doesn't matter if anyone here or there cares. It matters to me and Susan. It's still a conversion whether a truck, bus, van or car!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 06:45:12 PM »

Even though this is primarily a bus bulletin board and a lot of the expertise will be specific, I really look at it primarily as a conversion site with much of the info being generic to different platforms.  However, aside from the help that you can pick up here, using some truck or truck conversion sites (toterhomes?) might be very useful too.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
AndyG

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 07:06:01 PM »

Dad was telling me about your truck.  Like him, I'm a big fan a busses but there are certain things which they can't do.  Dad's big hobby is playing with bus conversions.  I like antique farm equipment and I've been in the steam traction engine game for about 5 years.  If I could figure out how to pull the steamer with an MCI I would probably do it.  I found a 1989 FLD120 with a 12' living quarters and it works great for hauling my old junk.  The only thing that it lacks is the turning capability of a bus.  I would have to back up to get around turn 3 at Daytona.  There is a forum for truck conversions  http://www.truckconversion.net/forums/  but it does not have nearly as much traffic as this board so I come here a lot for info about my truck.
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 05:47:30 AM »

Ace - Nice! Thanks for the pictures!  I think you just ran out of stuff to do on the bus and needed something a bit more challenging!  I hope we get to see this beast at Arcadia next year!

-Sean

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 06:38:02 AM »

Andy yea I've been to that site but not a lot going on!
I get more info from escapees.
Sean not really bored. More like hurt that nobody would pay any fair price for what I think is a decent home conversion! Nobody including banks are willing to spend or loan on a 92 home conversion without a name other than mine and we all know what kind of name I have.
The timing is just right to move into something different and a little newer that will hopefully serve our needs in more ways than one.
As for Arcadia? That's still up for vote!
Now that I think about it, that's a bus rally! Trucks might be frowned upon just like these bus sites! Smiley

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »

I think you may be making a very wise move. I've seen your bus, and have no doubt you can do wonders with this truck, too. You've put enough thought into it to
know what will work for your lifestyle, and I think you are probably correct. Sometimes I wish I had looked at the truck conversion option before starting out on
my MCI. But that was years ago...

Good for you. I hope it's all that it appears to be and more.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: