Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 06:32:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uh oh! Engine knocking?  (Read 3058 times)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 08:32:01 PM »

Check the unused pulley at the end of the cam on the left side (Fan).

This thing takes a lot of torque and likes to work loose and is noisy. Watch it with the engine running to see if it wobbles. Been there!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »

Listen to which side of the engine the noise is coming from, then remove that valve cover. Start the engine and when it makes the noise and see which Jake brake is firing off-can tell by it push down onto the exhaust valve. All others-quite guessing what the noise it. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 04:39:16 AM »

Does he have Jake ?

Life is short drink the good wine first
opus

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 08:40:24 AM »

Does he have Jake ?

Awww....you're going to ruin all our good advice by asking a common sense question!  LOL!!

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 11:11:35 AM »

Since he has tall valve covers, I assume so.

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 06:14:30 AM »

seems to me he posted the problem has gone away....
but my2 cents..IMHO... FWIW.. it's the main bus nut working loose.

expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 10:05:11 AM »

Speaking of nuts, I for one can't wait to get this new technology where all our vehicles talk with each other. Maybe then we won't have so many wing nuts cutting us off and then throwing out the anchor or loosing the accelerator pedal. This will be the first safety innovation that will actually tighten up the loose nut behind the steering wheel. Yeah, bring it on.

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2014, 11:39:10 AM »

Speaking of nuts, I for one can't wait to get this new technology where all our vehicles talk with each other. Maybe then we won't have so many wing nuts cutting us off and then throwing out the anchor or loosing the accelerator pedal. This will be the first safety innovation that will actually tighten up the loose nut behind the steering wheel. Yeah, bring it on.

The technology is already there - it's the change in legislation to allow it that we're waiting for. I'm looking forward to it too - not so much because of the safety benefits but because I have better things to do with my time - driving a car, like riding a horse, should be something you do occasionally for fun, not something you have to do because the machine hasn't really evolved since the 19th Century

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2014, 04:19:32 PM »

And just like any vehicle if you don't keep up the maintenance on the system it will at one point not work anymore and I don't want to be next to that vehicle. Just another system they can charge for and make the outrageous cost of vehicles even higher.

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
challenger440

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2014, 08:10:44 PM »

And of course your older vehicle will be unsafe and the gov. will MAKE YOU replace it.  At lunch today I sat and watched people parallel park their cars .  It was embarrassing to even watch.  Maybe we should spend more on driver training and worry less about a new gadget that will only make drivers worse. 

Did the OP decide on and engine?  JM

John M.
Helena, Mt
MC7  "under construction"
Bryan

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 09:00:34 PM »

seems to me he posted the problem has gone away....
but my2 cents..IMHO... FWIW.. it's the main bus nut working loose.

Yes, it hasn't made that sound since that day. I don't know what it was other than laying hands on it and praying (seriously!) Once we got the bus to moving forward and backwards a few feet a few times, it quit. We have drove it a couple times since. Prior to that it hadn't been drove in a few months. Thank everyone for their help.  Grin

Bryan Edmonds
PD4107-756
Toccoa, GA
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: