Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 10:58:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4107, Sell or Scrap -- looking for suggestions  (Read 1919 times)
Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 05:34:19 PM »

Not that I want to scrap mine but am just curious, what is a bus worth for scrap? I would think that by the time you separated all the different materials it would be better to sell it whole.

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 07:29:49 PM »

I think you touched on something people don't realize. When they say scrap value, are they going by separated aluminum price or mixed much lesser price but a hell of a lot less labor.  I don't know if it could be worth the time to cut up and separate a bus.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 05:40:16 AM »

A 4104 will bring about 3 grand I have a friend in Ft Mohave that just drove his to the scrap yard and that is what he got for it in 100 dollar bills fwiw

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 06:55:24 AM »

Clifford, that's good information, thanks.  It's actually a bit higher than I thought, prices must be up.

As Michael mentioned, I'm trying to find someone who can benefit from the coach.  With the current low market for conversions, I didn't think there would really be anyone, which is why I asked for ideas.  JLV did call me with one good idea, if she ended up going to the scrapper.  So, I'm surprised that a couple of people are interested.  My original post wasn't intended to market the bus, so it's a quite pleasant surprise that there is a viable option to scrapping.

Quick story on the eyes.  I had slight double vision after getting new eyeglasses, prescribed by an optometrist.  Slight double vision, had the glasses remade a couple of times.  Due to the problem persisting, I decided to go to an opthalmologist.  He looked, and said "Oh my", and called his assistant over to look.  Kind of like when you hear the dentist say "oops."  He'd found a rare condition where the strands that hold the lenses (both eyes) in place had stretched, so lenses were/are off center.  Think a bicycle wheel's hub held in place by spokes from the rim -- unequal tension would make the hub off center.  He wanted me to go to Cincinnati or Salt Lake for the operation -- but there's a professor at the local medical school in Dallas that's fully qualified and experienced.  One 2.5 hour operation later, one eye done -- when that's fully healed, we'll schedule the other eye.  As the skydiver said ten feet above the ground -- so far, so good.   

The reason I'm posting the story is to encourage anyone with vision issues, or aging, to see add a real opthalmologist to the doctor rotation.   I've learned the amazing things that can be done now to preserve eyesight.  A friend in his 70's recently did this, on recommendation by his personal physician just because of his age -- and glaucoma was discovered -- early enough to save his sight. 

Now, as I think of an earlier response, I'm eating my shredded wheat.  I hope that doesn't make me a cereal killer. 

Arthur 

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 07:16:44 AM »

Metal prices must be kind of goofy right now.  I'm building a new entrance gate for one of my properties, and my local welder / manufacturer told me it would be about 20% cheaper in materials for him to build it (in the same size) from aluminum rather than steel.  I'm not sure I can ever remember steel costing more than aluminum, per equal unit.  Like runcutter, a scrapyard isn't where I want to end up.

Cheers, John
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »

Matt- answer to a ? on the Hawaii thread;  HELLO MATT!!! the 4107 GM, We are 2nd in line, the 1st in line is going to look her over this week and then we should know something. Christi and I talked about BOTN's Frenchy Bus, if it where closer we might have went for it. We just love that bus. Arthur, the 4107 owner also said that there is and older Prevost in TX that we could check if the GM doesn't work our way. We sure miss our Bus friends
M&C Grin

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 01:29:41 PM »

Aurthur,

Praying for the eye(s) to heal completely!

Steve Toomey

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: