Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 12:51:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LED Lights for the Awning  (Read 1280 times)
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:06:04 PM »

This one was a no brainer. We needed some light under the awning so I went with LED.  The roll cost 27.00 (hitlights on amazon) The wire cost 3$ and the silicone adhesive was 2.99.  Its very bright and I am going to add a dimmer to it.  The only downside at this point is that I don't have a way to roll up the power wire (its run through the awning arm) for the lights when I roll up the awning so I have to plug/unplug the wire each time we roll up the awning.  I'm sure there is some kind of contraption that would let me leave the lights plugged in (like some kind of electrical wheel)  but I just haven't found that yet.

Working on interior LEDs this weekend-

-Sean

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 02:56:25 AM »

Hi Sean,

I did my awning a couple years ago. Amazingly bright!!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 06:13:27 AM »

Nick - your awning looks awesome.  What brand/type of awning is that?  Also - do your lights roll up in the awning? If so - do you have to plug/unplug them?

-Sean

1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org

'Cause you know we,
BRUISER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 10:53:56 AM »

look great

I did LED under my awning also.. mine are multi colored but also have white.. and come with a remote to dim them or change the colors

here it is in blue

iMPAKS.com
Raleigh, NC
1983 MCI MC-9
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 04:26:39 PM »

How do you handle the bugs these things draw??>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 05:02:25 PM »

I did the cargo lights from a Chevy pickup for my awning lighting

Life is short drink the good wine first
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 06:07:14 PM »

How do you handle the bugs these things draw??>>>Dan

I've read a number of times that LEDs won't attract bugs like regular lights because the light spectrum is different.  I have not personally tested this myself.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 06:21:18 PM »

The guy with blue LED lights will have bugs only color bugs do not see is red I have been told true or not I don't know but my LED white lite lantern will attract bugs for sure the June bugs love it

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 08:35:41 AM »

Nick - your awning looks awesome.  What brand/type of awning is that?  Also - do your lights roll up in the awning? If so - do you have to plug/unplug them? 

Yeah, your lights look great, Sean, as do Nick's.  But what this thread has shown me is that there are two ways to do this -- have the lights mounted on the bus itself or on the awning.  One of the "what's best for the individual bus converter" things, I guess. 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
BRUISER

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »

The guy with blue LED lights will have bugs only color bugs do not see is red I have been told true or not I don't know but my LED white lite lantern will attract bugs for sure the June bugs love it

good luck

I usually leave the lights on blue or red. But if we are sitting outside under awning then we use white and we have not had any issues with bugs

iMPAKS.com
Raleigh, NC
1983 MCI MC-9
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 10:10:56 AM »

Yeah, your lights look great, Sean, as do Nick's.  But what this thread has shown me is that there are two ways to do this -- have the lights mounted on the bus itself or on the awning.  One of the "what's best for the individual bus converter" things, I guess. 

Bruce - I contemplated this as well as my lights can't be used unless the awning is all the way open.

A good thing is that my lights can be at different angles as the ebd of the awning rolls out.  Either down at the ground lighting some of the area outside the awning or angled up when I roll up the awning a bit. 

My decision was based on - if I had the awning rolled up then I probably wouldn't be outside as the weather is the only reason it would be rolled up.  I didn't really think about having to plug/unplug them until after I installed them.  That's kind of a pain and it would be nice to just turn them on or off.

Eventually Ill probably put some kind of spot or a type of low profile light for direct light to use for purposes of needing light at night on the outside of the bus.

-Sean

1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org

'Cause you know we,
BRUISER

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 10:11:24 AM »

I put mine on the bus side so it was easier to wire and not have to worry about the strips when rolling up the awning. Mine stays wired all the time and I just use remote to turn them on and off from inside or outside the bus. Mine also run on 12 volt or 110 when plugged in.

iMPAKS.com
Raleigh, NC
1983 MCI MC-9
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 11:51:37 AM »

I put mine on the bus side so it was easier to wire and not have to worry about the strips when rolling up the awning. Mine stays wired all the time and I just use remote to turn them on and off from inside or outside the bus. Mine also run on 12 volt or 110 when plugged in. 

Sounds good, simple and the electrics are easy.  I can see how someone might want more light out near the outer edge of the canopy for outdoor cooking, sitting, visiting with friends, reading, etc., but I think this is how I'll do it.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: