Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 02:43:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 78 MCI 8 Fuel guage?  (Read 588 times)
cross express

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »

Does any one know how much a fuel guage and sending unit would cost for a MCI 8  1978? Huh Huh

MCI 8  1978
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 07:44:00 AM »

You can buy just the Telefex or VDO sender for 20 bucks with the gauge they are around 50 bucks

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
cross express

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 06:22:17 AM »

Part's website? An how difficult to install myself. Thanks.

MCI 8  1978
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 08:06:54 AM »

As far as sources go, you could start by just searching those brands.  Make sure you inquire about ones with the right voltage.  There are sending units with floats as well as electronic ones that have no moving parts.  To assess the difficulty, you should get a good look at your tank and see where you want to mount the unit. Is there an available port on the top or side?

For example, I have not installed a fuel gauge on my MC5a yet.  I keep thinking I will but haven't gotten to it.  My tank has a usable port on the side but the tank surface there is at a 45 degree angle.  Therefore, I would look for one that is made to mount into the tank at that angle.  Now, this may not be a standard off the shelf item, but there are companies that will make them custom at a reasonable price.  I was saving the name of just such a company but can't find it now.  Maybe someone else will know of one.

The next parts of the installation are the wiring and mounting the gauge.  These also are things that you can study beforehand to see how you will do it.  I do not know your skillset, but these tasks are not considered particularly difficult.  If you have not done things like it before, now is a good time to start to learn. It's just part of owning an old bus.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
cross express

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »

Thanks Lin, I will do some investigating.

MCI 8  1978
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »

I used this for my 8

http://www.egauges.com/240-33-Ohms-Fuel-Sender-p/atm-3262.htm

http://www.egauges.com/1-1-240-33-Ohms-Fuel-Level-2-1-16-p/301-903.htm

BUT I had to modify the sender to get to work properly. I remember I cut it and brazed it back to get it to about the center of the tank. Then the float would not work properly so I had to shorten the float arm a little at a time til it worked. Now for the short coming. It stays on full for a spell and then works it's way down and it shows half full when it is half full but the full and empty took some getting used to so I know when to get fuel.

I took pictures as I did it and I'm sure I could find them if they would help you.

HTH

YMMV

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
cross express

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 04:50:14 PM »

That would be great if it's not to much trouble. Thanks

MCI 8  1978
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 05:03:41 PM »

Here's a link to the place I was thinking of.  They can make them to mount in any direction.

http://www.centroidproducts.com/

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »

Here are four pictures

What I started with

What I cut

How I reassembled it

The finished job

Like I said I had to cut the float arm down from the final picture so it would work properly

I did have to use 12 volts to make it work as well

HTH

Melbo
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 05:31:56 PM by Melbo » Logged

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
cross express

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 07:05:47 PM »

Thanks Lin and Melbo,   
   For the  pics and info, Luke from US Coach also emailed me with some info. Grin

MCI 8  1978
Larry B

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 07:41:04 PM »

Hello AJ--- I had to do the same thing as Melbo. Cut and reweld so that the steel arm hangs straight down in the tank. You would be wise to buy guage and sender at same time so that supplier gives you two pieces that have same resistance (ohmns). If they are different they often do not work together very well. The mount flange on the float arm has five holes, but they are not equally spaced , so it will only bolt in the tank one way.  (at least that is the way mine was). Make sure you have hole pattern sortted out before welding at what might be wrong angle. Good Luck.
      Larry B

1977 MCI-5B---
8V71- 4speed man
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: