Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 08:56:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matte Paint Finish?  (Read 1394 times)
gus

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2014, 04:31:28 PM »

I just read in MH magazine that a new Winnebago has a matte paint finish which is "unique" and doesn't show ripples like a gloss finish?? It even goes onto the glass. Winnebago is very excited about this!

Unless it is different than my understanding of matte it is indeed a weird thing.

It only costs $8-10,000 more!

Anyone know anything about this?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 04:59:22 PM »

Gloss paint will certainly show surface imperfections much more readily than matt paint - nothing new in that, but if I were buying an expensive new motorhome I think I'd be asking why the bodywork wasn't straight to start with, rather than considering paying extra for paint that would help hide the ripples.

The ability of the paint to stick to glass isn't a function of it's glossiness or mattness I don't think - paint for use on glass and ceramic tile is typically gloss in my experience.

Jeremy

PS - For my own curiosity I Googled whether 'matte' was a correct variation of 'matt' - turns out that 'matte' and 'mat' are the French masculine and feminine versions of the word (like 'naive' and 'naif', or 'blonde' and 'blond')

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 07:00:47 PM »

Isn't this also known as primer? Grin

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 08:44:50 PM »

Its like the cars people are painting with that weird black paint. It looks like a matte finish and it is finish paint not primer. Almost has a shin but not quite. Looks to me like they forgot to finish it.

Dave5Cs

Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:07:37 PM »

Its like the cars people are painting with that weird black paint. It looks like a matte finish and it is finish paint not primer. Almost has a shin but not quite. Looks to me like they forgot to finish it.

Dave5Cs

Those cars are actually probably vinyl wrapped rather than painted - having a matt black wrap is very fashionable at the moment amongst those with more money than taste.

'Satin' finishes sit between matt and gloss by the way ("almost a shine but not quite"). True matt finishes tend to mark very easily, just as a matt black blackboard does

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 10:38:59 PM »

Any vehicle painted this way will get hotter in direct sunlight than one with a glossy finish, and thus will take more energy to keep cool inside.   Let's hope the roof is white.

Ah, what price vanity?

John   

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 08:30:39 AM »

I like shiny!

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 10:23:04 AM »

Well, if flat finishes became standard, I would be able to brush paint the bus and not have to deal with shinning expectations.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 11:44:17 AM »

Those cars are actually probably vinyl wrapped rather than painted - having a matt black wrap is very fashionable at the moment amongst those with more money than taste.

'Satin' finishes sit between matt and gloss by the way ("almost a shine but not quite"). True matt finishes tend to mark very easily, just as a matt black blackboard does

Jeremy

Jeremy,

You are right, the new cars with this matte or satin finish is a 3M wrap. I was looking into this as we were going to use some black in our color scheme for the coach. One concern I had was the gloss showing the ripples, but I think with the colors we are going to use, it won't be as bad as painting the bus all gloss black....with the exception of the roof, which will be white.

Cheers
Mike

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"
gus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 02:34:06 PM »

Back in the '50s it was cool for rodders and customizers to use black primer as the top coat, only problem was it would allow rust!

This paint is not primer, it is a top coat. Interior house paint has had this finish for years but I can't think of even one advantage for exterior matte. I thought maybe it was some kind of deep finish that took on different looks from different angles? I haven't seen any of the new BMWs or Mercedes so I don't know what they look like.

It for sure is one way for SS mfg to push something new and make huge $$$ in the process. The nutty dark swirly paint jobs today make absolutely no sense except they mask the really ugly flat boxes with wheels.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 09:19:53 PM »

If you want kool-paint your bus Mystic. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 05:56:12 AM »

You could have a lot of fun with a flat black bus.  " Urban Assault Vehicle" ,   NSA mobile listening unit,  Seal Team bus, shh.,   Girls gone wild bus,   I say go for it!!!! Have fun.
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 01:48:51 PM »

You could have a lot of fun with a flat black bus.  " Urban Assault Vehicle" ,   NSA mobile listening unit,  Seal Team bus, shh.,   Girls gone wild bus,   I say go for it!!!! Have fun.

Girls gone wild.....LOL

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"
gus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 04:21:36 PM »

What the heck is Mystic??

Since it was $8-10,000 extra for that paint I can only imagine what a complete repaint would cost!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 05:16:43 PM »

Hi All, I always thought a hi gloss finish was to create a smoother surface, creating a lower drag coefficient, glide thru the air with less resistance or drag, why would anyone want to cause more drag, get less power from drag, create a bigger surface area, each bump creates more surface up and down the bump, not much more until you add up every bump, I wonder if the airlines would paint a matte or matt, jet?, lvmci...

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: