Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 05:15:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pulling a 20 or 24 foot trailer  (Read 3555 times)
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:53:18 PM »

As some of you know, I have a GM 4104 that has been lengthened to 37 foot and has a 6v92 with a turbo and a 5 speed auto trans. I am wanting to travel and live fulltime in it this spring. I want to take either my car(a small BMW Z3) or a Mazda b-3000 pickup, and my Harley with me. I am thinking either a 20 or 24 foot enclosed trailer. This will make my total length either 57 or 61 feet. Good thing I have a train whistle   Grin  My question is has anyone ever done something like this, and if so what were the pros and cons?  I am planing on having the bus  frame checked out for this ( the bus has been lengthened 2 feet so the frame for the engine has been changed), so hopefully it can handle the tongue weight?  Im wondering about the difficulty of driving the bus with the trailer. 

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 03:30:39 AM »

Scott,
Two items,  my brother has a 45' coach, tows either a Ford F250 or a Fancy Aluminum 26' trailer.
Point, is, the state police do not seem to have any knowledge, nor care nor pay attention to such.
I asked once about a 24' Boat on trailer behind my MC7, after many folks who should know the law, the bright one was an old woman in Richmond Va, saying I could tow a 53' trailer, but if it was a boat, I could not be longer than 55', leaving about a 10' boat.
SO I say , go figure, no one seems to know or care.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 04:50:18 AM »

First would be wether your bus has the power and the proper hitch to be able to tow safely. As for length all states have a legal max length. Most are 75 ft max some are 85 ft but are limited only to major interstates. FMCA magazine has and issue every year showing limits in all the states and what type of license is required etc. Also checking with your state dot should tell you what is legal to. The police don't usually bother you unless it is something that just doesn't look safe or right, then expect to get stopped. 

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 06:09:03 AM »

The length applies to state the vehicle is registered in we have friends that tow a 32 ft trailer weighing 33,000 lbs behind a 45ft Newell he is at every Nascar race selling his goods and never had any type problem with DOT     

Life is short drink the good wine first
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 06:34:37 AM »

I think you might not find as many places to stay....and you will be more limited to the places that you will be able to re-fuel.
and there IS going to be that one time that you are going to be boxed in and can't easily back out of it...
PS I pull a 14 ft. trailer. It definitely slows me down pulling west into Albuquerque and elsewhere....or Chino Valley up to Williams...or Jerome into Sedona...or Lee Vining in to Yosemite ...or and or....
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:12:37 AM »

Be VARY careful with tongue weight with your 04,  most hitch assemblies are suspended from the same verticle members that carry the engine. The engine and accessories are also carried by the rear roof area, so, often bend the roof line downward behind the last window.
 Your rear body has already been extended and a heavier engine installed making the problem even worse.>>>Dan Sad
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:43:54 PM by Utahclaimjumper » Logged

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
opus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 10:45:28 AM »

I'd also be concerned about the transmission limits.

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 02:44:54 PM »

As long as you have the proper cooling for your 6V-92TA and HT754CR, engine and transmission wise you're good to 80,000lbs. The big problem is not weather the bus will with stand pulling the load, it's stopping that really puts the strain on the frame. Make sure you either have well adjusted and working electric or air powered brakes on the trailer, or well adjusted surge brakes with disc brakes-surge brakes can drag all the way down a hill and burn up drum brakes rather quickly. Wheras disc brakes will take the heat. Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 02:48:49 PM »

Once you determine your bus is up to the task, I would skip the 20 and go straight to the 24.  The M3 alone will be quite snug in a 20 footer, to say nothing of the bike.  Lots more resale value with a 24 footer as well.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »

Cliford

What size trailer is our good friend Doyle pulling behind his Eagle.

He has the whole world inside it along with his car.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 08:56:12 PM »

Scott -

Put the bike in the back of the pickup and flat-tow the Mazda behind the bus - least expensive solution and lowest stress on the coach chassis.

As Dan pointed out, it's not the trailer that's the problem, it's the DYNAMIC tongue loads induced into the hitch that's the GMC chassis killer.

However, there is an answer to that challenge:

www.trailertoad.com

Selling either the Z3 or the Mazda will help pay for the TT and the enclosed trailer.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 01:17:56 AM »

I saved this pic to my computer years ago out of respect for whoever this bus and trailer belongs to (the image filename is 'Cecil McClure Rig', whoever Cecil McClure is)

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 07:28:03 AM »

I saved this pic to my computer years ago out of respect for whoever this bus and trailer belongs to (the image filename is 'Cecil McClure Rig', whoever Cecil McClure is)

Jeremy

I love this -- as I would since my philosophy in life is "Anything worth doing is worth OVER-doing!"

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 07:42:02 AM »

That guy is from Bonneville MS as I recall some serious hp in that Eagle

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 12:47:02 PM »

That's a guy that suffers from separation anxiety LOL I'll bet he has fun when he gets where he's going.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: