Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 12:35:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a new steering wheel  (Read 1314 times)
Bryan

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2014, 07:12:29 AM »

You guys may remember a month or 2 ago I showed a bunch of parts that I had received with the bus. I'm excited to announce we had everything necessary to install power steering except for the hydraulic lines. So in 2-3 weeks we are taking it to the shop to have this done. I'm so excited. I will probably want to purchase a smaller steering wheel so that I will have even less play in the steering. What do you guys suggest for size, where to purchase, and how to know it will fit? Thanks!

Bryan Edmonds
PD4107-756
Toccoa, GA
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:11:08 AM »

Google,, VIP steering wheels. They are the largest custom manufacturer of what you need, they do have a wheel that will adapt to your bus in several diameters.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 11:47:21 AM »

I never cared for the small steering wheel that somebody had put in my bus. Just personal preference i guess. I managed to find an original one from the same year bus and when i put it in i wondered how much more play there would be.......haven't noticed any difference at all.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 02:00:45 PM »

Small steering wheels are for owners with big bellies I have been told  Roll Eyes I always have heard going from a 16 inch wheel for every 1 in increase in diameter you add a 1/4 to 1/2 in free play on the wheel checking on the DOT standards for play in the steering wheel that seems about right 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:21:56 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 02:58:37 AM »

Another source besides VIP is Ron The Busnut. He also has the tele/tilt columns.

http://www.ronthebusnut.com/

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
rip

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 05:34:26 AM »

When I ordered mine from VIP several years ago I called them and got a better price then on line.
    Don
Bryan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 06:16:16 AM »

Thanks guys! I will check all of this out! I believe I do want a smaller one [even though I'm skinny] 😃

Bryan Edmonds
PD4107-756
Toccoa, GA
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 06:29:55 AM »

I seem to remember a discussion of this some years ago, that made a point that the leverage from a larger steering wheel could be needed in a PS failure.  I do know that when I was driving 4903's & 05's in service (all with power steering), they all had the same large steering wheel that our non-PS buses had. 

However, even though part of my job was bringing in partially dead buses (e.g., lost clutch, frozen leveling valves), I never experienced a PS failure.

I wonder if the large steering wheel would be an advantage in a PS failure, providing enough leverage to get the coach to the side of the road, out of danger.  I don't remember free play ever being an issue, even with our old transits -- but then the buses (and I) were much younger then.

So, for the folks who know more than I do (Clifford, Russ) -- could this be an issue worth considering? 

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 07:07:47 AM »

As far as going smaller, what is the od of your present wheel? I have 2 4905's, and one has a 2 inch larger diameter than the other one. Both appear to be factory installed. One is ivory, and the other one was black. I think they are 19 and 21 inch. Our previous 4104 had a 17 inch VIP which I thought was smaller than desired. I swapped the 19 inch over to our current conversion from the 21 inch and think it is just right. BTW, if you get one with anymore than three spokes, at least one of your gauges will be blocked by a spoke, no matter how the wheel is set.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 08:58:55 AM »

Going smaller is all well and good on paper. Until you loose power while rolling and still have to steer a dead power steering box. Keep the same steering wheel and just turn it close in to the center on the spokes. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 09:56:07 AM »

Its been my experience that as long as the vehicle is ROLLING its not a problem, when still,   its a bitch with or without power.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 11:16:50 AM »

When I bought my Prevost and drove it from Nevada to Connecticut we lost the power steering pump just before Rock Springs Wyoming. Tried to get it fixed at DD dealer but wants us to wait three days. We said no and drove back to Connecticut over 2400 miles with no power steering. It was ok on I80 all across but stopping for fuel or over night sleep was a bear trying to steer. A smaller steering wheel would have made it harder.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Bryan

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 09:08:15 PM »

My steering wheel is 22 inches on the outside diameter.

Bryan Edmonds
PD4107-756
Toccoa, GA
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 06:09:32 PM »

My 5C came with an after market smaller steering wheel. I didn't like it. I replaced it with an original 22". Much nicer. No noticeable difference in free play. Also, it doesn't hide my gauges like the smaller one did.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 05:15:07 AM »

MCI's will not have the play the GM axle mount power steering will have it is a totally different animal FWIW

Life is short drink the good wine first
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 10:42:54 AM »

I  just went out to the shop and measured. The one I removed was 22 inches, and replaced with a 20 inch one. The 22er seemed like a monster, more like used on a boat. If I later go with a VIP one, I will probably go to a 19 inch. I would NOT go any smaller. Your coach will have next to no play if all the joints and other items are serviced as needed; u-joints, angle gears, slip joints, bearings, tie rod ends, and kingpins. I assume you have Sheppard full power steering and not the power assist, which has the hydraulic cylinder in the steering link. The power assist type will always have some play due to its design. Even so, all those other components still need attended to as needed to keep any play to a minimum. You also need to be sure the caster is set to positive specs. to reduce wandering on the straightaways. I'm sure someone on here may have access to a GM 20 incher from a parts coach or a takeoff.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 10:58:51 AM »

I don't remember how big the wheel was when I got the bus, but I switched it out for a VIP 18".  It seems just right to me, but no doubt would be harder to use if the power assist cylinder failed.  In that case, it would be the same as having standard manual steering.  I suspect that it might be a little worse for an integral power steering system that failed. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: