Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 06:58:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a new steering wheel  (Read 1236 times)
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 10:42:54 AM »

I  just went out to the shop and measured. The one I removed was 22 inches, and replaced with a 20 inch one. The 22er seemed like a monster, more like used on a boat. If I later go with a VIP one, I will probably go to a 19 inch. I would NOT go any smaller. Your coach will have next to no play if all the joints and other items are serviced as needed; u-joints, angle gears, slip joints, bearings, tie rod ends, and kingpins. I assume you have Sheppard full power steering and not the power assist, which has the hydraulic cylinder in the steering link. The power assist type will always have some play due to its design. Even so, all those other components still need attended to as needed to keep any play to a minimum. You also need to be sure the caster is set to positive specs. to reduce wandering on the straightaways. I'm sure someone on here may have access to a GM 20 incher from a parts coach or a takeoff.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 10:58:51 AM »

I don't remember how big the wheel was when I got the bus, but I switched it out for a VIP 18".  It seems just right to me, but no doubt would be harder to use if the power assist cylinder failed.  In that case, it would be the same as having standard manual steering.  I suspect that it might be a little worse for an integral power steering system that failed. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: