Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 05:47:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: powering roof top ac from bus engine  (Read 1870 times)
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 06:51:44 AM »

Hi Nick, just the front for going down the road, I have a MCI 5A, I have also been considering a split system, but dont think  its enough, I have the over the road air bay open, I was also thinking of putting a 24volt motor to run the compressor and simultaneously fan for condenser and just build one from scratch. Use the defroster vents for the main vents, a lot of pre-existing stuff to use in place, lvmci...

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 08:54:08 AM »

I have three 13,500 roof tops. When A/C is needed, I just run the generator going down the road. Normally, 2 are enough, but when the temp gets over 100, then I kick on all three. It keeps the inside at a comfortable 75 degrees. My front A/C is near the front where I can aim the vent right at the driver's seat. With the help of a dash fan, it is very comfortable when driving-even into the sun. I generally loose about 1mpg when running the gen-course it is running all day whether stopped or driving. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Larry B

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 06:20:31 PM »

Good evening everyone--- Good to hear there is a back up possibility if this fails. Thanks Nick. I also have three ac units on the roof and the front one is as far forward as I could get it without cutting into fibercast roof cap (within 4 feet). I have already installed the roof ac units so I have to finish the plan and see if it will work. I think my front and center units are 15,000. Glad to here Tom's units do a satifacfory job of cooling. Living in Canada, we don't see temps much over 90, that is hot enough. To add anything or find a usable pulley in my engine compartment would be tough.  As a point of interest did other know that by trying to resurrect a battery with a 30 amp charge will set off a carbon monoxide detector before setting off gas detector ? I spent half a day yesterday looking for a flue gas leak that I did not have. Burial writes to battery today. Have a good day everyone.
            Larry B   

1977 MCI-5B---
8V71- 4speed man
zimmysurprise
"Flight Risk" Don and Charlie Zimmerman 1978 GM PD-4108 Chardon,Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 03:01:31 PM »

Good evening everyone--- Good to hear there is a back up possibility if this fails. Thanks Nick. I also have three ac units on the roof and the front one is as far forward as I could get it without cutting into fibercast roof cap (within 4 feet). I have already installed the roof ac units so I have to finish the plan and see if it will work. I think my front and center units are 15,000. Glad to here Tom's units do a satifacfory job of cooling. Living in Canada, we don't see temps much over 90, that is hot enough. To add anything or find a usable pulley in my engine compartment would be tough.  As a point of interest did other know that by trying to resurrect a battery with a 30 amp charge will set off a carbon monoxide detector before setting off gas detector ? I spent half a day yesterday looking for a flue gas leak that I did not have. Burial writes to battery today. Have a good day everyone.
            Larry B   

Most carbon monoxide detectors can't tell the difference between CO and Sulfur Dioxide from batteries being charged. A common cause of false CO alarms in homes with battery backup sump pumps that run dry and overcharge.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: