Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 09:13:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching from Manual to Automatic?  (Read 2215 times)
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 06:38:27 AM »

It would probably be cheaper to buy a bus with an automatic. Unless you are looking for a project and enjoy the wrenching...

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 06:43:13 AM »

I can understand him wanting to rid himself of the oil clutch  Undecided

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 07:42:10 AM »

Big rig trucks are the last vehicles that are still using manual transmissions. Most of the very large companies (like J.B.Hunt, Werner, U.S.Xpess [since 2002], Swift, Schnider, etc) have switched to automated manuals. The new Mercedes-Benz based DT12 for Freightliners, is the most civilized automated transmission I've driven. It has Ecoast which the transmission pushes in the clutch and you coast until you touch anything-like the brake, accelerator, Jake, cruise control. When Allison finally brings out their TC10, twin countershaft 10spd with a torque converter, I think it will blow every other transmission out of the water-but it will be more expensive then other automated transmissions-but not as expensive as the regurlar Allison automatic. For our use, I'd just stick with the regular Allison transmissions. Virtually all buses, trash trucks, military vehicles, off road equipment are now using Allison type transmissions. On road trucks are really the last bastion of vehicles to switch. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Gwaltnak

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 08:59:18 AM »

It really comes down to the fact that I want to clean things up and make it easier to drive for both myself and my wife. I love my 4107, and want to keep it, but I also want to make it work for me. Not worried about spending a little more to make it what I want, at least while I still can.
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 09:08:01 AM »

Indeed, there are fewer and fewer vehicles that offer manual transmissions. Maybe a few sporty and small car still offer it or smaller suv's and pickups. But if you want a full size American pickup truck, you had better want an automatic because that's all you can have.I think RAM may offer it in the heavy duty with the diesel but FORD and GM is auto only across the board. That's fine with me since I'm an automatic diehard and being a delivery driver for going on 29 years I would hate the idea of stick. Fire trucks have been almost completely automatic for over 40 years and the manual option went away in the 1980's though few actually specified it after 1973 anyway.
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 11:27:15 AM »

It is interesting to note that the US and Canada are the only countries in the world where vehicles are mostly automatic transmissions. The rest of the planet still happily drives manual cars, buses and trucks. I think it is a culture thing: North Americans have for a long time wanted the easy and convenient. The rest of the world enjoys the more simple aspects of life, where people are more hands on and willing to shift gears for themselves, be more engaged with their daily tasks.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
olebusman

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 11:28:10 AM »

Uncle Ned  Huggybear would love a Bill Teal o-drive and so would you. 4106 and I don't shift into o-drive till 65 mph top speed is Huh speedo only goes to 85. Mileage is 8+ mpg with a 6V92 and 9A90 injectors. Try it you'll like it   olebusman
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 12:41:02 PM »

Good point Lostagain. But then again if the rest of the world is so wonderful, why did so many come here rather than reverse?
Another reason is that many European automatics were not as good in quality as ALLISON at least the one's they sold here. ZF,VOITH, and RENK had limited sales. VOITH still is offered in some transits but ZF seems to have moved away from fully automatics for buses.
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 01:23:07 PM »

I am ready   just how will I get one here on the east coast.

Have heard plenty about them but never seen one.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
olebusman

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »

Uncle Ned you just build it. It takes some VS2-6 and VS-8 parts and a little work. Bill Gerrie has one also. I'm in Fl. if you want to see one or the build plans. Nothing that will disable the 730 ,only a few holes in the inside of the case and 3 holes through the bellhousing.  olebusman    sorry for the hijack
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 02:58:05 PM »

When Bill Teal got out of the trans business he sent me ALL the remaining parts he had at that time,(for the cost of shipping) I had enough VS2-8 parts to overhaul or build at least 4 transmissions. When I sold my 4106 5 years ago it all went to the new owner plus a complete set of new brake shoes, S cams, shocks, and misc. parts. I would bet dinner that he still hasn't sorted thru all the "stuff" he has in those large boxes.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Gwaltnak

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 02:31:58 PM »

Anybody know of someone trustworthy on the west coast that can completely go through a VR731RH and make it "like new"? Maybe even bulk it up a little?
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 04:13:29 PM »

You have a right handed engine in the 4107 I thought the V731RH was a electronic transmission used with right engines in buses like the RTS ?

Life is short drink the good wine first
Gwaltnak

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 04:20:03 PM »

Working on a deal with a right handed engine... All depends on the circumstances... But if it does happen, I want to make sure the tranny is dialed in properly.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 07:17:16 PM »

Anybody know of someone trustworthy on the west coast that can completely go through a VR731RH and make it "like new"?

Where on the West Coast?

Huh

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: