Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 05:21:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stove hood  (Read 2410 times)
Flight102C3

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2014, 10:36:31 AM »

Hi everybody, got a question about what brand of vent hood you are using? I'm sure I would like to vent to out side. Won't be able to reach flapper on the out side. Wondering about the louvered vents? Thanks for now!!!
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 12:49:32 PM »

Where is your stove? I have mine on an island in the middle of the bus to make room for a microwave with a range vent. I added a duct from the microwave to a ceiling powered vent. I have to run the ceiling vent when I run the stove vent but one less hole in the roof.
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »

I put a regular hood vent for a RV on mine. I use a stick to move the locks on it. You may be maybe different than me but I canít stand the flopping noise while driving down the road. I sure the louvered kind would be worse.

My Way John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 04:30:01 PM »

Ours came with the hood vented out the side with no way of closing it, so we fit something to block it on the inside and hold it on with Velcro.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 05:31:40 PM »

I designed my kitchen with a 2 burner gas top and a microwave/convection oven above the burners (no stove).  The micro/convection oven has its own exhaust vent that picks up the burner fumes so I made a plenum that directs the exhaust out the back of the micro/convection, down a passage to the floor where it exhausts over the fuel tank bay.  I used standard size aluminum flex vent hose for a house kitchen vent. 

No hole in the roof or side of the bus.  I just put a vent screen on the discharge to the bay to keep the critters out.

I don't know anyone else that has done it this way, and the vent pulls 100% of the heat and smell out of the bus when using both burners or the microwave/convection oven.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 10:43:07 PM »

I use a non vented hood above my stove. With the fan on, it just blows the hot air straight into the room. Then directly above the hood is a Fantastic vent. It works so well, I've repeated the same thing on my bus. I did not want any type of vent on the side wall. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 05:50:45 AM »

oh my   Grin.
my setup is the same as Tom's. it does work really well.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 11:33:41 AM »

1" aluminum heat shield ( black ) under the rg upper with 3  led puck lights in it . Fantastic fan as close to cook top right in front of upper cabinet works great   

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 12:41:44 PM »

My set up is the same as Toms' too! The fantastic vent works really well Wink

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 06:02:31 PM »

Non vented hood with fantastic fan.  Fantastic fan is awesome.

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Flight102C3

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 07:35:22 PM »

Sorry! I posted than had to leave. I will read all of them will respond. Thanks to all
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 05:25:04 AM »

Our coach is side isle configuration with a full bathroom, 4 burner 24" Italian made stove with oven and broiler, over stove microwave with direct vent above to outside with vent facing rear so as to not act like an air scoop. We like to cook so that is why we went this way.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 06:25:13 AM »

We just open the window behind the stove top and have a small WM fan we turn on below the cabinet above the stove/oven combo. We have a fantastic in the bath that we also turn. Works great.

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
Flight102C3

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 08:10:41 AM »

Sorry, I'm back! Thanks for the info I'm going ventless with a fan above. I think this will work for me. Thanks again!
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 04:40:09 PM »

I am sure someone out there has had to clean the screens on a stove hood or microwave oven, and has seen how much grease gets sucked into those filters.  Well, if you are depending on a Fantastic fan or other to suck the stove/burners greasy air out the bus you better not cook too much or your ceiling will will absorb that grease.  I have an Ozite ceiling and can't wipe it clean.  Better to to take the extra time and blow the cooking exhaust out through a hose-- I went with a floor exhaust into the fuel tank bay so no problems with greasy fumes.

--Geoff

P.S.  Did I forget to mention the smell inside the bus without proper cooking ventilation?  It sticks to the ceiling and walls and makes your bus stink after a while.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:53:28 PM by Geoff » Logged

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Flight102C3

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 08:28:49 PM »

Point well taken !!!  I might need to rethink this. I can still vent through wall. Thanks
Taibob

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 05:39:26 PM »

To vent or not to vent seems to be the question.

No vent: Fan takes all the smoke and grease you wanted to get rid of, and blows in back in your face and eyes. A real tear jerker affair, and stinks up your coach for a few days. Bacon is not too bad, but sausage or fish..yuckk

Vented: Gets rid of the crap and sends it straight out.

I installed a Cyclone Brand [24 in. 360 cfm hood fan,]. Unit has no grease grabbing screens. Uses centrifical action fan and drip catcher tray. Much easier to clean. It vents straight out the side wall behind the fan unit. I do not hear it flapping when in motion.
My setup works for me, and I'm still happy with it.

Bob

84  mci 9   8v71n N70 Jakes 740 auto   Oliver, BC
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 12:00:11 AM »

We have a rule of thumb-any stinky or greasy cooking foods is done outside. I have both a propane and electric hot plate. Cooking bacon outdoors in the cool morning is just prime. Stinky fish is BBQ'd outdoors also. My stove fan just blows out into the isle then is sucked up into the Fantastic Fan vent in the roof right above the stove. I clean the fan maybe every other year. Good Luck, TomC

Dave5Cs

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 08:46:02 PM »

We open the window behind the stove and turn on the small 7 inch fan pointed out that sits on the counter top behind the stove and out the grease and smells go. Coach smells fine and not greasy!... Turn the fantastic on above and out goes the heat if any or steam from the oysters etc. Grin

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 08:48:17 PM »

This is amazing!  Do you guys really eat food that stinks?

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 09:30:21 AM »

Cooking fish can be stinky. Any greasy meat-like bacon, sausage, beef will splatter and will smell up the bus. Good Luck, TomC

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 10:21:48 AM »

Bacon makes a terrible mess from the grease and, yes, it smells too.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »

Who doesn't like bacon  Huh You just hang a bunch of these around in the coach and your good to go......

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Dave5Cs

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »

Ah but not if you cook Turkey Bacon. It taste just like Bacon without all the fat and grease. Always liked the smell of cooking Bacon anyway. Grin

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 09:59:41 PM »

Cook a pan full of bacon and brew a pot of cowboy coffee outside-now that's a way to start the day.

Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 09:17:00 AM »

If you cook food that smells good you won't have a problem.  My wifes meals smell delicious and leave me digging for leftovers in the morning.

I think venting or not if you are cooking a full meal in the coach its gonna linger for a little.

And I love the smell of bacon.  I have no problem coming into the coach at the end of the day and smelling bacon.  It not only makes everything taste better but makes everything smell better too!

One last thing to think about...if we do cook fried in oil meals...we have portable induction cooktops that we use and we will go outside when we can and fry out there.

Grin

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 11:19:46 AM »

If you cook food that smells good you won't have a problem.  My wifes meals smell delicious and leave me digging for leftovers in the morning.

I think venting or not if you are cooking a full meal in the coach its gonna linger for a
And I love the smell of bacon.  I have no problem coming into the coach at the end of the day and smelling bacon.  It not only makes everything taste little.
better but makes everything smell better too!

One last thing to think about...if we do cook fried in oil meals...we have portable induction cooktops that we use and we will go outside when we can and fry out there.

Grin

-Sean

Sean, if you cook in the bus, you'll have little droplets (OK, I'm not sure how you could have big droplets, but anyway) of water, oil, grease, etc. in "aerosol" in the air.  This stuff will settle on *everything* in a bus and give it a few hours and after that it will get smelling REALLY bad quickly and the bad smell will last for a long time.  An exhaust fan will blow this stuff out and reduce this stuff inside significantly; not a perfect fix but it helps a lot.  No matter what, if you cook in the bus, you'll have to do a grease-removal cleaning on hard surfaces and fabrics but an exhaust fan will reduce the smells and make it a lot long between "big-cleans".

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 11:54:29 AM »

If you are having any problem with odor build up, you could use an ozone generator to get rid of it.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 08:25:34 AM »

Very effective for cleaning surfaces is just using good old Windex. Most all finishes are polyurethane-which is plastic. My ceiling is painted white, so all interior (except for a bit of industrial wall carpeting) surfaces wipe down easily. Doing the entire inside only takes a couple of hours. Then I'm set for the next big adventure. Good Luck, TomC

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: