Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
May 21, 2018, 12:18:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dip Stick  (Read 3670 times)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 12:27:17 PM »

Always remember that oil expands when it's hot, and after I calculated the amount that it expands I was pretty surprised.  My pan holds 8 gallons.  If I started it right now, at 32 degrees f or 0 celsius, and warmed it up to operating temperature, 185 degrees f or 85 C, the oil would expand in volume by 6%.  That's right at about 2 quarts, more or less, or half the dip stick mark.  What I do, and no one else has to do it this way, is measure the oil level dead cold.  If it's below half but above low, I call it good to go.  On the drive I measure it hot after waiting 20 minutes or so.  If it is near or above half full I call it good.  If I add, I add a half gallon at a time.  If I want an accurate measurement it's first thing in the morning on my home parking pad, which is dead level.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 02:52:36 PM »

Well, here's the scoop.... My bus sat still since the first of the year (Arcadia).  I checked the dip stick and it was on 'L'.  I added 1/2 gallon before starting this morning.  After about 200 miles I noticed oil on the back of my bus again, so I checked the dip stick.  I'm now about 3/8" above full.

I wish I had left it alone.

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 03:45:45 PM »

Mine did that.  It was the dreaded fuel in oil syndrome.  Hence my recent fixation with dipsticks and measuring oil levels.  It's hard to deal with an engine that's making oil, hope your's is just an anomaly.

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: