Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 03:45:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goin' on a road trip  (Read 1981 times)
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 12:27:12 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys, sounds like you guys have convinced me to take I 90 or I 94.  Anyone know which interstate has less truck traffic?

Gumpy, how would dropping down I 39 to I 80 be?

Saddleup, Is I 94 a better road than I 90  and how is getting through Minneapolis?

Scott , If our time frame permits we would definitely like to stop by. How far from Kazoo are you ?

now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 01:19:38 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys, sounds like you guys have convinced me to take I 90 or I 94.  Anyone know which interstate has less truck traffic?

Gumpy, how would dropping down I 39 to I 80 be?

Saddleup, Is I 94 a better road than I 90  and how is getting through Minneapolis?

Scott , If our time frame permits we would definitely like to stop by. How far from Kazoo are you ?

I-39 from Rockford to I-80 is what I was talking about to get around Chicago. Been a few years, but last time I was on it, it was good road.
I think there's one toll booth there, and one or two on I-80 (though I haven't actually been on that stretch of I-80 for many years, so it may have changed).

Personally, I think 94 is smoother than 90. I've done 90 in the bus quite a bit, and it's always rough. Expansion joints are always offset and just the right distance
for the wheel base to be a pain in the bus. It's been awhile since I had the bus on 94 in ND, but I was across it on the bike last summer, and it was a fine road
all the way.  It's good in MN, too. Won't be much construction this time of year. That'll start about the first of May.

Getting through Minneapolis is not a problem, depending on the time of day. Avoid 6:00 am to about 9:30 am and then again from
about 3:00 pm to about 6:30 pm. Varies with weather conditions. If it's not snowing or raining, it's not bad even during rush times for the way you will
be going. 94 and 694 are all good road and mostly at least 3 lanes, though I think there may be 2 lanes for a little ways after you get to the east side
and make the curve south back to 94 and WI. Haven't been over that way for awhile. Belfert could tell you more about that side.

We're a couple miles south of 94 at Albertville exit, about 15 miles west of the outer ring. You're welcome to stop in for a beer and show and tell if you
need to kill some time to avoid the rush hour traffic. The neighborhood streets are bus friendly. Easy access and plenty of street side parking in front of
the house for bus and trailer. If you need a place to stay, there's a Cabela's in Rogers with great parking and waste dump, just 7 miles away.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:25:49 PM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 02:47:04 PM »

Gerry, i have not been farther east on 94 then FARGO,ND but it all good freeway to there, you just going to have to watch the weather, last year i spent a week snowed in ,in Sturges sd on i90,,in mid april,and that storm put no snow down in ND..
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:52:24 PM by saddleup » Logged

Battle Mountain,NV  Molson,Wa  Yuma,Az

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 04:04:46 PM »

I just spent a week just east of Fargo.  It was 80 degrees most of the week.

Fargo GA. that is   big town one jottem down store and gas station

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 04:14:07 PM »

Man I love this board, Thanks guys, I think I will take I 90 to I 94 and then down to Minneapolis and on down to I 80 . I will keep you guys posted on my progress.Craig, if it works out, I will message you when I'm close and see if we can get together for a beer.

Cheers Gerry

Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 08:44:15 AM »

I know a little about Kalamazoo, I was born and raised there..............course that was 1941...............>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
poppi

mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 10:00:14 AM »

Any way you go I hope you have a safe trip.
That being said there are 3 passes in Montana on I 90
 1. Lookout pass on the Id. Mt. border
 2. Pipestone just east of Butte
 3. Bozeman Pass just east of Bozeman.

All three are better going down the east sides (west to east travel).
 I like http://roadreport.mdt.mt.gov/travinfomobile/ for travel info in this state but
 I am partial because our unit built this app. Before I retired that is Smiley.

later
Skip

Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »

I apoligize for some misinfomation. I talked about 12 MPG going into the wind across Wyoming and 25 on the way back. That was in my car. My point was how much wind can be there and it's effect on MPG.
Don & Sheila
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 04:25:07 PM »

Man I love this board, Thanks guys, I think I will take I 90 to I 94 and then down to Minneapolis and on down to I 80 . I will keep you guys posted on my progress.Craig, if it works out, I will message you when I'm close and see if we can get together for a beer.

Cheers Gerry
Gerry, when are you making this trip? 

I need to send some coffee mugs to my daughter who's going to school in Chicago. She's going to Japan this summer on an internship. I made
a bunch of coffee cups for her to sell for fundraising and she's been selling them to her friends in school. Shipping is nearly as much as the mugs,
we we're looking for someone going that way who would be willing to take a small box. She could meet you in Rockford to pick them up.

If it's soon, though, it may not work, as I still have to get some more finished. But let me know what you itinerary is, and if you'd be willing to take a
small box from here to Rockford.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 06:18:24 PM »

Craig, we are leaving Vancouver BC Monday March 31st. Hopefully reaching Kazoo on the following Sunday weather permitting. If you have them ready we would love to meet her in Rockford.  E mail me at big-ger@shaw.ca  Cheers Gerry

hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 06:51:15 AM »

Sorry for the late update, no rv places open in Michigan at this time of year. Staying at the inlaws  in  Vicksburg. 

The trip out was  good until midway through Montana, them all hell broke loose. I guess there was a big low pressure system coming up from the south and it chased us all the way to Chicago. At one point couldn't see out the windshield due to ice buildup on the wipers. That was scary. Bus handled it well but I'll tell you those truckers don't slow down too much!

Stopped for a short time to meet and chat with Gumpy in Minneapolis, nice folks, Craig does very nice pottery and wine :-). Didn't stay long which was a disappointment due to snow, they were due to get up to 8 inches that night so Craig suggested I try and beat it be driving a couple of hours out of Minneapolis. Good advice, thanks Craig.

Just about loaded up and going to head back on Wed/Thurs . Going I 90 and do a little sightseeing  on the way back. 
 Sorry Scott I didn't get to meet you guys . By the time we came around the bottom of Lake Michigan it was late and threating to snow.

Cheers Gerry

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2014, 05:29:16 AM »

Really enjoyed having you guys stop. Wish the weather had been better so you could have stayed longer.

I really liked the layout of your interior. If I keep thinking about it enough, maybe I can get myself motivated to start
working on mine again.  Smiley 

Drive careful.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 06:08:55 AM »

Gumpy, we had a little going away party for the kids last night. Brought out some of your wine, everyone loved it,  especially the apricot wine. :-)  Cheers Gerry

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2014, 08:12:51 AM »

Gumpy, we had a little going away party for the kids last night. Brought out some of your wine, everyone loved it,  especially the apricot wine. :-)  Cheers Gerry

Glad it was well received.

Have a safe trip.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: