Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 06:34:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Towing full size pickup  (Read 373 times)
TEAKNE

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »

I have a PD4106 with 4speed spicer and would like to tow my 98 Dodge Ram 1500 full size pickup. I'm looking for input on the pros and cons of towing such a heavy vehicle with a 4106.  I will be towing the pickup 4 wheels down.
Thanks.
Todd
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »

When you tow a heavy vehicle with an 06 (even 4 down) that load is transferred to the bulkhead via the engine frame with only two bolts total at the bulkhead, the bulkhead is a known weak area with the sidewinder GMs and many have had to be repaired and reinforced over the years. (Even without previous towing) If stock, the 06 will be maxed at about 300 (OR LESS)horses and little torque, considering its a 568 CID engine. The 4 speed is also tall thru the gears so that kills the torque to the ground even more.  They do well with a light towed around 2k or lighter, as the weight go'es up performance really suffers and mileage quickly go'es to hell.
 I towed a Jeep Liberty (at 4415 dry) several times but had an "A" timed engine and automatic trans with lower overall gearing than yours,, it did well, but that Liberty will NEVER RUST IN ITS LIFETIME!.>>>Dan
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:46:26 AM by Utahclaimjumper » Logged

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: