Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 10:44:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bridgestone study: What consumes fuel?  (Read 601 times)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2014, 09:06:33 PM »

If you have money to burn don't worry about it, but for the rest of us, and those who haven't read this Bridgestone study: What consumes fuel?

Don't skip the bottom of the study on engine and tire wear.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:12:31 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 09:03:30 AM »

This is why I'm always standing on a soap box saying tires are much more then big round rubber things that hold air. Most older buses like we drive do not have enough power to take advantage of traction tires. Running all position tires-sometimes called steer tires, is the best fuel mileage you can run. Then if you have the same tires all around, you can rotate them. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »

Roll Eyes I saw Bridgestone doing part of that test with recaps on the front of Pete truck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 04:24:47 AM »

I put traction tires on the back of our 5A.  They have probably saved us from getting towed out of at least 2 places. The first place was in a friends yard on grass after it started raining. With my auto tranny i was able to slowly ease my way out and was surprised that i did not even tear up the grass.  Right now we are in an rv park near Savannah Ga. and it has been raining a lot for 2 days now. The space we are in was just added and has only been used a time or two so the ground is not packed down like the other spaces and is just grass. We have pools of standing water all around us. We are leaving tomorrow and i am hoping it will quit raining later today and start drying out some. Rather than going forward 100+ ft to get out, i am going to back out of here even though it is a slight uphill grade. I am hoping that the tires and tranny will get us out ok once again. Now with all of that said, the next time that i get tires i will probably go with all position tires.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: