Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 06:27:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturn Vue  (Read 649 times)
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2014, 06:31:35 PM »

Looking for a 2007 Saturn Vue to pull as a dinghy behind the Eagle 10.  I've pulled my Nissan truck about 40K miles ok, but we can never ride with friends when out on a trip.  A Vue would be much better and seems to get good marks on the RV forums.  It's even lighter than my Nissan.  I've searched Auto Trader and Craigslist and prices are about $6~7k from a dealer to low $5k from a private seller.  Some have really high mileage (150k and up).  Seems a bit high for a car whose company is out of business.  I prefer a 4cyl over a V6.  Automatic is ok and shows it can be pulled 4 down in neutral. 

There are lots of salvage titles out there, Hurricane Sandy perhaps??   Kind of hard to trust any of those side street lots ($299 down, $299/month).  Even on Craigslist I've found some with salvage titles.  It's a risky world out there.  Any advice??

David
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 04:23:44 AM »

David,
   No advice here just kudos on the Vue. We got one last year partially because it was time for a change in personal vehicles. Got the Vue obviously for towing capabilities too. If a deal comes along you can't pass on but it has a V6 then you gotta do what ya gotta do. That's what happened for us. That V6 is a whole lot of motor for that thing. Don't know the fuel mileage on the 4 but our 6 gets 20-22. I always drive 9 over on the open road. I can't remember the tow bar I have ( bus is at Eric Brown's having some work done) but the tow mounts are not too terrible to install. I bought the towbar on EBay new. If there's an installer who will do the install including the wiring for a couple hundred don't think twice just have it done. Here's a bonus for consideration. There's a golf cart called "The Cricket". It can be folded up for the lack of proper description here & will actually fit in the Vue or one of the storage bays on the bus. Since everyone just has to have a golf cart these days. Good luck in your search & you won't be disappointed.

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 02:18:59 PM »

Our 2007 has the 2.2 4 cylinder and gets around 27 MPG.  Be aware that there are different tow bars for different drive trains.  The 4 is FWD and GM,  The V6 is AWD and is Honda. Changed platform between 2007 and 2008.

It has been trouble free for a lot of miles.  It transfers more road noise than anything I have ever seen. Great if you don't want to talk to the wife. Runs more quiet with heavy tread snows. 

Ours has no dip stick for tranny.  You have to elevate the thing level and pull a plug out.  Take off several engine components to gain access to the fill plug and pour in fluid while it is running until it comes out the hole.  Great design.

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 02:47:53 PM »

If you are set on a Saturn Vue, then this post is irrelevant.  However, several people tow Jeep Cherokees, which are easily available, cheap,and highly dependable.  The V6's commonly do much better than 200k miles.  Mine has 196k and is still strong.  It doesn't even use a quart of oil between changes.  For towing, we just put the transmission in Park and the transfer case in Neutral, and we're ready to roll.

They stopped producing the Cherokee for a while and replaced it with a different name.  I do not know for sure but would not be surprised if they were equally towable.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 02:55:44 PM »

And the straight 6 will go for 3-400,000 miles.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 04:22:50 PM »

I don't know about a Jeep being any tougher than a Saturn my friend Doyle (TexasBorderDude) has one that has been abused terrible and still ticking hasn't gave him any problems except front tires seems like they prefer the steering unlocked before towing  Grin I had to say that Doyle  
 FWIW Ed my Jeep straight six 4.0 did not go 300,000 mile the best it did was 293,000 miles now I am pissed at Jeep,the Peugeot transmission suck in a Jeep when you need repairs I can tell you $$$$
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:32:02 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 04:29:30 AM »

"293,000 miles",  so it was still under warranty wasn't it?    Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »

If you are set on a Saturn Vue, then this post is irrelevant.  However, several people tow Jeep Cherokees, which are easily available, cheap,and highly dependable.  The V6's commonly do much better than 200k miles.  Mine has 196k and is still strong.  It doesn't even use a quart of oil between changes.  For towing, we just put the transmission in Park and the transfer case in Neutral, and we're ready to roll.

They stopped producing the Cherokee for a while and replaced it with a different name.  I do not know for sure but would not be surprised if they were equally towable.

I'm not opposed to looking at a jeep.  I just figured since Saturn was out of business, the vehicle would be really cheap.  What year model jeep would your recommend and what should I expect in pricing?

David
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 04:36:57 PM »

Hey Lin,

How about this one?

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4417072114.html

Hmm,  looks like a 2wd is not towable 4 wheels down.  Has to be a 4x4.

Here is another one:

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4419549538.html
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:26:07 PM by David Anderson » Logged
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 05:15:29 PM »

David don't over look the GMC Envoy 4x4 they are nice tow vehicles easy to hook up I like the idea you can lock the steering wheel,doors and remove the keys and put those in your pocket. All the later gas engines since 1999 will run 200 to 300,000 miles my 2001 Chevy pickup here has 295,000 miles and it is a V8  

good luck
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:22:27 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 05:27:30 PM »

David don't over look the GMC Envoy 4x4 they are nice tow vehicles easy to hook up I like the idea you can lock the steering wheel,doors and remove the keys and put those in your pocket. All the later gas engines since 1999 will run 200 to 300,000 miles my 2001 Chevy pickup here has 295,000 miles and it is a V8  

good luck

Thanks, Clifford.  I'll look at some of those, too.  It is really inconvenient that we cannot carry any friends with us in the pickup when we want to go somewhere.  A small SUV would really be nice.

Found one:

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4408623072.html

Yikes it weighs a 1000lbs more than my Nissan Shocked

Ick!  the jeep weighs about 800lbs more.  My underpowered 6v92 won't like that too much.

The Vue weighs about 200lbs less than the Nissan. Wink
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:36:16 PM by David Anderson » Logged
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 06:55:58 PM »

Dave-- I am not a Jeep expert, I only know what I have.  With that in mind, I would say the mid 90's to 2001 (I think) when they were using the 4.0 straight 6.  The listings you posted were not Cherokees but rather Grand Cherokees, which are a more luxury incarnation of the vehicle.  I think that they used the same straight 6 in many of those with possibly a V8 option.  I just don't know about how they compare, but they will be a bit heavier.

After 2001, Jeep put out a similar vehicle called the Liberty.  Maybe some others here will know more about them.  Check Kelly's and Edmonds as far as price goes.  Edmonds always gives lower values, which may help in bargaining. I paid $2500. for my '99 about 4 years ago.  It was not perfect but was in reasonable shape and has held up well.  I had to replace the computer this year, which was $50. used.  We used it off road many times, but I have become nervous about going off on such trips alone since a friend of mine broke down doing that and was stranded in the desert for several days before being rescued. One thing about the price on these is that it sometimes is not merely about the year and mileage since some people put in lots of upgrades.  However, stock is just fine for a toad/daily driver as mine is.  The main downsides to the Cherokee are the hard ride and poor fuel mileage (about 18mpg).

I wouldn't overlook anything that might work but am familiar with this.  It can go anywhere a wrangler can, has less of an "I-am-a-he man" attitude, and due to the idiosyncrasies of people's desires, sell for less.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: