Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 05:09:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire Advice?  (Read 1065 times)
DKO

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2014, 04:50:49 AM »

In September of 2008 I put two Hancook AH12 Premium tire on my tag axle. They now have 80,000 miles on them and are needing to be replaced. All the other tires are MIchelins and are three years old. I would like to put two new Michelins on the front and move the front tires to the tag. I contacted Rick Stewart with Action Tire Co. in March while I was in Georgia but Michelins were back ordered at the time.

I traveled about 90 miles Saturday and noticed that one of the Hancooks has developed a crack in the sidewall near the rim that concerns me. The Michelins I replaced three years ago were aging out and had stress cracks all over the sidewalls but nothing that looked this big.

I am in Salem, Kentucky just a little east of Paducah and I plan to leave here Thursday and drive to Gainesville, Texas by Saturday evening. I would like to find a place that honors the PC Michelin discount program and replace these on my way out Thursday. I plan to skirt around the west side of Memphis then go through Little Rock and Texarkana then across north Texas to Gainesville.

I would like to replace these tires sooner rather than later because this new crack scares me. Any ideas on dealers in Paducah or along my route?

Thanks in advance.

Davy

Home is where you go when there's no place else to go!
1995/96 Prevost XL Vantare
Low Class

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:38:16 AM »

I know nothing about this store.  Just found it on the net.

It is south of you. 

Rudolph Truck Tire

Murray, Ky.

phone  866 989 7201

Jim Keefauver/1985 Wanderlodge PT36/6V92TA/MT654CR/East Tn.
Gary W

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 08:20:42 AM »

Just check Michelins  Advantage web site it will give you the dealers that honor the program in the state you are in.

Gary
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »

Nothing wrong with Hankook tires-replace with same.

Freightliner has dropped Continental tires and now is offering Hankook tires at a considerate less charge. My tire guy is so particular, he likes Hankook tires, but refuses to carry Goodyear-just to give you an idea.  Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
DKO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »

I have been pleased with the Hancooks on the tag but my plan is to put new Michelins on the front and move the 3 year old tires to the tag. With the Michelin discount through Prevost Community the Michelins are very competitive in price to the others.

As of this afternoon we are now dealing with a health crisis in my daughter that travels with us so that complicates the process a little bit.

Thanks for the help.

Davy

uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 01:35:10 PM »

Removed 6 year old cracked Michliens.  replaced with Hancooks 1 year ago.

love them.  on rj's advice went with the tallest tire they made.  made HUGGY very happy.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 06:17:41 AM »

I bet Huggy Bear is a hot rod with the 6V-92 in it!

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 10:19:54 AM »

Tom   HUGGY has a lot of Don Fairchild and hard headed Ken in her.
and people like RJ and the rest of the old timers on the board.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
oltrunt

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 06:20:51 PM »

I'm a retired road doggy and I'm here to tell you that the tire in your pic is just waiting to kill you or someone else!  I have no beef with the brand--but that one is DONE!  I worked far too many tire failure related accidents with their associated mayhem not to put in my two cents worth.  Even if you have to buy a good used tire to give you time to work a deal on new tires it is worth it!  Stay safe
DKO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 04:50:23 AM »

Good news is I made it home to Ohio. I set the tire pressure at 108lbs and drove 45 mph or less for 340 miles. It took me 9 hours including Cincinnati rush hour traffic. I have a tire here that I can put on before I leave again IF I can not locate two new Michelins to put on the front and then move the front to the tag. I stopped often to check the progress, kept my eye on the TPMS and prayed fervently. The crack did grow some but thankfully the tire held.

I really do appreciate the advice and warnings. That is what i am here for. I did not want to risk driving on that tire but my daughters health crisis seemed to demand it. There is no reason to write it all here on this forum but my daughter woke up basically blind in her left eye Sunday morning. We have been lost in a seemingly impossible maze of health care mess that is totally unfamiliar to us. We were supposed to be in Texas by Sunday morning but we have cancelled that meeting to return to Ohio where my daughter's very limited health insurance is supposedly valid.

If you are of a mind to read a few more details you can do that http://www.boggsblogs.com/2014/04/odie-needs-god-to-help-her.html?m=1

We are very weak people that trust a strong God and we are praying for a large miracle and looking for any small miracle we can find along the way. If you believe, would you pray for her as well?

Thank you and thanks for help on the tire as well.

Davy

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 05:19:01 AM »

Do you use any type of tire covers on your coach when not in use? Looks like uv sun damage. Usually cracks will be more prevalent on side that gets majority of sun. Covers and some kind of tire protectant with uv inhibitors can help.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 07:17:33 AM »

Good news is I made it home to Ohio.   ...
 my daughters health crisis seemed to demand it.
Davy 

Sometimes you gotta do what you don't want to do, but it's good it worked out.  Best wishes for full and quick healing for Odie; and hoping you have time to get tires to get back on your schedule as soon as practical. 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
treeplanter

the grey ghost,1971 GMC 5305A

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 07:19:56 AM »

A proud father of an 23 year old daughter myself i will pray for her recovery.
DKO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 08:18:45 PM »

Thanks for the prayers, friends.

Davy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: