Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 03:07:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DDEC  (Read 1593 times)
Cary and Don

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2014, 09:06:02 AM »

If memory serves,  somebody on here knew somebody that could check out a DDEC ECM or reprogram it, or repair it.  We think ours is toast, but not sure.  If we can't get it repaired, we will need a replacement and have it programed for 8V92 turbo.

Don

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:25:08 AM »

Ken, does ECM's on the board here as "hardheadedken" or something like that a sharp guy on the DDEC what generation is yours not much you can do with the DDEC 1 fwiw the  DDEC 11 forward had a clock that would go bad
 Be sure to check the SRS/TRS sensor behind the large cam pulley sometimes they build up with grease and dirt try not to remove it or you will need a timing tool a feeler gauge is tough to get into that area 

Do you have a 92 DDEC manual ? DD put a bunch of the crap in the 92 manual and not the DDEC manual why no one knows Roll Eyes

Life is short drink the good wine first
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:24:30 AM »

Don, like Clifford says first thing, which generation DDEC do you have?

This is a DDEC II
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modulator-assembly-Detroit-diesel-R7570050-ECM-DDEC-II-/301013869408?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4615d32360&vxp=mtr

This is DDEC IV
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECM-DETROIT-60-SERIES-12-7-L-DDEC-IV-4-/271349889916?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item3f2db6bb7c&vxp=mtr

Ken

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 05:25:07 PM »

It's a DDECll 8V92 turbo Allison 748 with retarder in the Neoplan.  The one Cary toasted with the battery mistake.  We worked our way through the trouble shooting in the manual. All checked out.  It cranks but the injectors are not getting power. So, if we can't find one, maybe it can be repaired.  BK said he would have to check next week sometime to see if the one he has is actually still there. We want to get that engine started before it's too late.

Don

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Hard Headed Ken

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 07:11:06 PM »

If you have 12 volts to the ECM on both legs and good grounds then the switching transistors (injector drivers) inside the ECM are probably fried. I don't do internal repairs but there are companies that do type of work. You maybe better off converting to DDEC IV. If you decide to do that it would probably be simpler to have the dealer program an ECM for you. I only have a limited number of DDEC III / IV programs for an 8V92. I could probably build a III / IV program from a DDEC II but it would take many hours. If you want to stay with DDEC II it maybe possible to copy your old program into another DDEC II ECM.

Ken

Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 08:23:53 AM »

Ken,  So if we find another DDECll, you could copy the program from our old unit into the new one?  This engine will probably be transferred into our Eagle.  If we were to make any changes to it, that would be the time to do it.  In the mean time, we just want to be able to start it and keep it running.

Don

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Hard Headed Ken

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 10:09:40 AM »

Since your ECM has some electrical damage there's a small chance that I can't pull the program. Even if that is the case I have my old DDEC II 8V92 program that we could use. It may require a few minor changes.  I don't think that will be a problem.

Ken
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:16:45 AM by Hard Headed Ken » Logged

rdbishop

'68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 08:08:47 PM »

Don,  Just saw your post and didn't see if you got it fixed or what. I have one and will ship it to you if you still need it .Let me know....

Richard
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 08:20:55 AM »

Richard,

BK sent us one to check out.  Hopefully, it will be good.  If not,  I will surely get back to you.  Thanks,

Don

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 04:09:59 PM »

OK the suspense is killing us! Any luck?
Grin  BK  Grin
rdbishop

'68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 08:00:14 PM »

BK  Did you get a chance to look at the 96-A dash for me? Give me a PM

Thanks,

Richard
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 06:00:14 PM »

BK  Did you get a chance to look at the 96-A dash for me? Give me a PM

Thanks,

Richard

Richard I forgot!
Been on the road a lot lately an just got home about an hr ago. I'll check in the AM!
I did notice the 102A3 was one with 2 big holes when I went up and snatched the DDEC off the Setra parts for Don.
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 04:09:41 PM »

Finally!  Worked like a charm.  Started on the first crank after six months of sitting.  Thank You BK.

I am thinking that it isn't suppose to take two days to get it in there.  However, there was an engineering genius on that Neoplan.  The instructions for removing the ECM.  Remove curb side exhaust.  Remove coolant cross over hose.  Remove fuel lines to cooling plate.  Remove fuel filter brackets. Then you get to remove the ECM. After spending a day trying to figure a way to get the exhaust off without removing the exhaust manifold we chucked their directions.  Well, there is a plan B.  Slowly getting all those screws off the cooling plate 1/4 turn at a time. Working the mounting screws out. Remove the oil filler hose and bracket. Work that puppy out over the mounting plate, under the exhaust pipe, and past the air intake. Just  barely fit. Only took two hours.

Opened up the old ECM.  A little spot on the corner of the board was toasted.

There weren't any error codes on the DDEC. That's good.  The generator isn't charging, but we were pretty sure that got toasted from the beginning.  At least the engine seems to run right on BK's ECM. 

Don and Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »

They don't get any better than BK.  just don't let him know he might get the big head.

A good place for a rally just do not let him know we are coming.

ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »

Don took 5 mins or less to remove from the Setra! (of course you already knew the METH Monkey's had cut all the wires but didn't take the DDEC or the wires - go figure Angry )
Grin  BK  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: