Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 05:30:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Before you haul that stuff to the dump...  (Read 1012 times)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2014, 07:09:59 PM »

Dear Friends,

I have had a series of setbacks and also been keeping busy in other things.

This week we decided to push forward a little bit, but alas: I was not able to find a place where I could sweep up some money into large black plastic bags. Anyway, my slow brain cells got to working. I called my carpenter friend Beto who has done all my interior. We went over to the bus and loaded up all the old aluminum panels that used to line the interior walls, aluminum inside luggage racks, a whole bunch of steel that was removed from various places, especially the over-the-road A/C unit ducts, and the two old truck batteries that had been in the bus and committed susyslide.

Anyway, we made two trips with Beto's pickup to the local recycling joint.

--170.5 Kilos (375.9 pounds) of aluminum
--196.8 Kilos (433.86 pounds) of steel (stainless and galvanized, they pay the same)
--2 Batteries (weigh more than an ex-mother-in-law)

I think I made out like a bandit! $3,346 pesos ($258.58 dollars U. S. at today's exchange rate.)

Anyway, some of you may be thinking of hauling the guts you took out of that bus to the dump. Think again! Oh, and we have yet to take all the copper from the A/C condensers etc. They pay 6.7 times more for that then for aluminum.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:20:26 AM by Mex-Busnut » Logged

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 07:32:07 PM »

Hi Dr Steve, good work! I got rid of the over the road heater and airconditioning system lost almost 800lbs and gained a 4X3 sp ace in the bay, a 3X2 space on the side and no compressor in the engine bay, came home with $$$s, lvmci...

Mci 102C3 8V92, Allison 4 speed 740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 08:45:26 AM »

I had never been to a scrap yard before I took a bunch of stuff from my bus to one.  I had a pretty good trailer load and was expecting maybe $100.  I ended up with $500 or $600!  One thing I did that helped get me more money was I removed the copper/aluminum coils from the assemblies.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 09:23:36 AM »

Lol I cannot take stuff to the scrap yard every time I start loading up the guy behind me says somebody will need that  Roll Eyes I did sell a lot of batteries when they were bringing 50 bucks each that was the easiest 1500 bucks I ever made in 2 hrs
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:27:00 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 09:32:54 AM »

Ive got a metal scrap bucket on my bus and tell the kids to pick up any metal they find as we are walking amd traveling around.   Its like finding dollar bills. Copper alone is worth quite a bit.  We are saving up the scrap metal for a night out at the movies Smiley

-Sean

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: