Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 05:16:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: prevost H60  (Read 2431 times)
lvmci

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2014, 04:31:17 PM »

Hi All, especially DukeGrad, prevost H60 for sale, 1989, accordian back, craigslist san Francisco & LV 21,500, lvmci..ps, cant seem to load the pic..
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:37:13 AM by lvmci » Logged

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/rvs/4468230174.html
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 08:50:17 PM »

Thanks eagle, lvmci...

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 09:08:02 PM »

That looks like one of the old Holland Lines buses not many left Randy had 3 of those monsters I don't know what he did with his 3 H-5's

Life is short drink the good wine first
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 10:40:13 AM »

I don't think that's an ex Holland America, Clifford.  I thing it's ex Orleans out of eastern Canada, then ex Colonial.  It's been kicked around for a long time on the net.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 12:04:35 PM »

We rode in one of the Hollands in Alaska I can say I was not the least bit impressed with the H-5

Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 08:08:38 PM »

I followed one on the Alcan north of Whitehorse once and the trailer bobbing and weaving was enough to make you seasick.  A little college girl behind the wheel, really scary the way they turned kids loose like that with so many passengers behind them.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
georgemci102a2

1988 MCI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 09:05:45 PM »

Wiggle wagon Smiley...George.

1988 mci 102a2/6v92ta/Grovetown,Ga.
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 10:04:52 AM »

Can you walk from the front bus to the trailer in that?   
Looks like a mother-in-law apartment idea to me.
 Grin

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 11:25:04 AM »

Hi Dave, you can walk thru and the engine is in the middle of the bus, theres a staircase where the engine would be in the trailer, lvmci...

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »

Ha, thanks for the post, but I've pretty well learned my lesson about starting from scratch!  I don't think a conversion is in the cards for me...  It'd have to be almost free before I'd jump in. 

Cheers, John
billy6941

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 03:27:16 PM »

I drove the Holland H-60 Prevo's for 2 years. They were not very fast from a dead stop, but ran pretty well after you got it moving. They were severely underpowered and going down any grades the tranny retarder  made tranny temps very high. When Princess was put in charge of Holland, one of the first things they did was to get rid of these coaches...........Bill
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 09:22:38 PM »

That said, the Anchorage shop did an admirable job of maintaining the H60's over the years, including their in house fix for the turntables.  I have a vintage H5-60 factory technical brochure in my collection, they were quite the engineering marvel at the time, the platform that evolved into todays H coach.  IMHO the H coach is the best motorcoach built today.  Sorry you Setra lovers.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 03:56:01 AM »

I as a great believer in the KISS principle, and I gotta say "WHAT a complex piece of machinery!"  I'd hate to be fighting all those systems all the time.  (Not to mention number of tires, etc ..)

Bruce H   NC   USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 08:11:39 AM »

That said, the Anchorage shop did an admirable job of maintaining the H60's over the years, including their in house fix for the turntables.  I have a vintage H5-60 factory technical brochure in my collection, they were quite the engineering marvel at the time, the platform that evolved into todays H coach.  IMHO the H coach is the best motorcoach built today.  Sorry you Setra lovers.

Hey no problem Boomer I knew you were a smart guy! This just proves it.
Because next to Setra I'd have to say the Prevost is the only other coach in the same class! Smiley
Grin  BK  Grin
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 08:55:56 AM »

I knew that would twist ya BK.  Heck, Setra couldn't stay viable in the USA so they had to merge with MCI, lol.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 10:04:25 AM »

I just read the sales report for MCI/Setra and Prevost they are killing Prevost even with the Prevost creative financing

B_K

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 06:43:24 PM »

I knew that would twist ya BK.  Heck, Setra couldn't stay viable in the USA so they had to merge with MCI, lol.

Come on Mark yer smarter than that! Everybody knows Diamler has a habit of taking over companies that are in trouble by loaning them $ until they get a controlling share,
Then they just swoop it up and take over. (Chrysler, Western Star, Freightliner, Detroit Diesel.... need I say more)

So back when MCI was failing and about to crumble and Diamler/Setra could have put the nail in the coffin by not allowing MCI to use DD or MB engines, Prevost had exclusive rights to Volvo (whoopie who wants a Volvo engine), Van Hool had Cummins, and CAT was pulling out of the over the road market. Everybody could have left MCI with no power plant AND NO $!

But Diamler saw an opportunity to set the hook by offering MCI $ to bail them out. And in return MCI would handle all SETRA US operations. (parts, sales, repairs, and tech support)   

Let me tell you it was a really rough start and after many calls and emails to Dialer Corporate HQ things finally got somewhat smoother. (still not perfect but an email to Diamler gets action quick!)

It's only a matter of time before MCI is another Diamler company!

Then they'll set their sights on Prevost! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 07:21:43 PM »

Looks like they are reeling in VanHool I saw a new TX45 with the DD13 and a big chrome strip like a Setra only lower, a good looking bus for sure has a American drive train 

CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 03:40:59 AM »

It would appear that VAN-HOOL had less than grand products in terms of quality here back in the 90's thru the early '00's but their latest offerings are much improved. Yes the new TX and CX are sharp lookers and VAN-HOOL also dropped the 3035RE so I guess they don't see much in the market for 35' over the road buses. But then again TEMSA has that 35' model and I have heard they are gaining popularity and now they have a 45' model. That MCI/SETRA deal is indeed a spaghetti plate so it will be interesting to see if any models on both sides of the brands will be dropped .BCI tried to make a dent but there quality was horrible at best and they offered MAXFORCE engines and now it apprears that NAVISTAR is showing signs of getting out of the engine business. As some of you know, I own CUMMINS stock but that VOLVO engine is a good one(gobs of torque) and PREVOST did the right thing from a cost standpoint by just concentrating on one engine though it would be nice if they offered a CUMMINS..oh well.
digesterman

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 07:08:34 AM »

Since Ford owns both Prevost and Volvo I doubt they are likely to offer any other power unit in the near future.

Lee
Le Mirage XL 45E
Detroit Series 60
470HP
94,000 original miles (7-2014)
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 07:45:23 AM »

Ford has nothing to do with the Volvo that owns Prevost.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 07:46:05 AM »

Since Ford owns both Prevost and Volvo I doubt they are likely to offer any other power unit in the near future.

Ford dumped its ownership of Volvo Cars back in 2010 -- like most of its acquisitions, it was a money-loser.  I don't think Ford ever owned any interested in Volvo Trucks, Volvo Bus, Penta, etc.  

Volvo Bus Corporation has owned Prevost since 1995, but I think Prevost only started installing Volvo engines a couple of years ago.  Mostly Detroit Diesels before that.

Cheers, John
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 08:09:29 AM »

Volvo has never been one smart enough to build their own products but have been smart enough to buy manufactures with a good product, their construction equipment sucks big time,it is cheap enough compared to Cat but no where in the same class The Volvo buses rule Mexico I don't what engine they have but here in AZ you sure see a lot on the side of the road with their skirt pulled up and Mexicans looking  Roll Eyes  

I believe since Scinia has open their engine plant here in the US and their engines are EPA compliance they are going to make a moves on the big guys with their trucks and buses just a matter of time  
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:20:14 AM by luvrbus » Logged

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 08:20:52 AM »

Had a VanHool in the shop with a recent DD13 and all the DEF stuff. Talk about cramming in a lot of equipment! Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
digesterman

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 06:07:06 AM »

Ford dumped its ownership of Volvo Cars back in 2010 -- like most of its acquisitions, it was a money-loser.  I don't think Ford ever owned any interested in Volvo Trucks, Volvo Bus, Penta, etc.  

Volvo Bus Corporation has owned Prevost since 1995, but I think Prevost only started installing Volvo engines a couple of years ago.  Mostly Detroit Diesels before that.

Cheers, John

Thanks Jon and John, I hate misinformation on the net, it never happens does it  Grin. I really don't remember how that bit of misinformation got into my head and why it stuck there. You are of course right. Thanks for the correction, makes much more sense. Lee

Lee
Le Mirage XL 45E
Detroit Series 60
470HP
94,000 original miles (7-2014)
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 06:22:15 AM »

Don't feel bad about it. At one time VOLVO probably was one company. Then they sold off parts of it and made agreements that the new owners could keep the name for marketing purposes. TV and radio is often like that too with their respective networks and stations. Here in Milwaukee WISN TV CHANNEL 12 the almost forever ABC affiliate is not associated with WISN AM 1130 radio. But at one time many years ago they were owned by the same company. This causes some confusion thinking they are part of the same group.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 06:45:11 AM »

One never knows who owns what Volvo for years has kept Scania out of the US market with their 21% stake in Scania now with the merger and takeover by VW and Man over night Scania has become the 2nd largest producer in the world of trucks and buses they are coming  Roll Eyes

rydrman

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 06:50:22 AM »

I was in Seattle at Northwest Bus Sales and they had three of these, ex Grey Line Buses. I never knew they only came with the 8v71, I can't imagine trying to throttle one of those up a hill while full or bodies.

dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 07:04:13 AM »

Don't sweat the who-owns-what stuff.  Like someone said, it can be very hard to follow, and these things change hands a lot more often than you'd think!  I just follow Ford a bit because a bigwig buddy of mine is on the board up there, and I've always had fantasies about an Aston Martin in the garage (which, by the way, has also been mostly divested -- I think Ford still holds about 15% or so). 

I never knew they only came with the 8v71, I can't imagine trying to throttle one of those up a hill while full or bodies.

Is that right?  I feel like I've seen one with an 8V92, but I could sure be wrong.  And I'm positive that I have seen a transit version of the bendy-bus with a Series 50, but I couldn't swear what model it was.  S50 seemed like it would be okay for around town, but might struggle down the interstate in something that big.

Cheers, John
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 07:05:27 AM »

The couple I saw and rode on had the 8v92 engine I couldn't picture a 8v71 in that monster

Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, 08:36:26 AM »

It would be very hard to repower an H-60, however David Beagle who was in charge of buses, special projects, etc. at Holland America Gray Line told me he delved into the engineering required to put the M11/ISM into them.  This was during the time that they were doing some repowers of the 102's with Series 50's.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 09:16:21 AM »

I thought someone posted awhile back that they actually DID repower one or more of those H5's with CUMMINS M-11's. There are "artics" that have the engines in the trailer section but that underfloor design sounds like it can brink normal mechanics to tears just to check fluids. I too would doubt they had the 8V-71. I recall the brochure listing the 8V-92 as the sole engine. They sound alike so perhaps that's were the idea of the 8V71 came from. I rode on one once in '06 after my first and only cruise. I forgot exactyl where but it was about a 2 hour ride to Anchorage. Nice bus but the engine being in the front section was a bit of a turn off. No offense to the CROWN people
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 09:20:40 AM »

The Neoplan version of the H60 is the Jumbocruiser, which has always been my fantasy if-money-were-no-object bus. They built them for years in various versions (engine in the front, engine in the trailer), but eventually replaced it with the quad-axle Megaliner which had the same passenger capacity but fewer of the problems. Although you'd think that an articulated bus would be more maneuverable than a 50-foot long rigid vehicle, it's actually the other way around - with steering on all four axles the Megaliner has an amazingly small turning circle, and there's some entertaining videos on Youtube of them going around tight hairpin corners on narrow mountain roads in Italy etc.

In the bus (rather than coach) world, there was a phase around 10 years ago when swathes of new articulated buses swept away long-established fleets of double-deckers - again the passenger capacity of the 'bendies' wasn't any greater, but they did have the advantage of having many more entrance doors which greatly increased the speed at which passengers could get on and off, and therefore made them more profitable to run. But they didn't last long due to the backlash from the public and the city authorities due to the extra congestion and inconvenience they caused everyone else (plus twice the accident rate of the double-deckers etc - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1185613/Bag-bendy-bargain-Boris-Johnson-sells-hated-buses-80-000-o-n-o.html

But I'd still have a Jumbocruiser a heartbeat.

Jeremy

PS - Rolls Royce (aeroengines) and Rolls Royce (cars) is a perfect example of the same name being used by entirely different companies

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 09:27:37 AM »

In my pre internet days, I used to send away about once a year to NEOPLAN USA for brochures. They really had a wide range of impressive buses. Those JUMBO LINERS where beautiful monsters as were the double deck types. They had a bus for just about anything except skoolies. Too bad they went defunct back int he mid '00's sometime. More or less self inflicted with quality issues.
wdtjawshwdt

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2014, 04:49:56 PM »

Speaking of Neoplans...   I love these things.   http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/4468649351.html   I want somebody to finish this project.   

Josh
1981 MC9 6v92DD 5 speed fuller
RIP 1996 Amtran dt444e

Farmington MN
dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »

Speaking of Neoplans...   I love these things.   http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/4468649351.html   I want somebody to finish this project.   

Seen that for sale a number of times.  Its interior is in rougher shape than another project I know of around here...  The double-decker thing is awesome, though.  No driveline?  It'll take someone a whole lot of bucks to ever see the road in that thing.

Cheers, John
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2014, 09:49:20 PM »

Would need another bus to finish that one. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2014, 10:25:59 PM »

Seen that for sale a number of times.  Its interior is in rougher shape than another project I know of around here...  The double-decker thing is awesome, though.  No driveline?  It'll take someone a whole lot of bucks to ever see the road in that thing.

Cheers, John

Yes, it's at Premier Motorcoach in Santa Ana, just off the 55 freeway:  http://premiermotorcoach.com/   Their website is much better looking than their actual place  -  I wasn't hugely impressed when I looked around there.   That Neoplan is very wasteful of interior space, plus it has a funky add-on at the back that looks like an aluminum outhouse has been grafted on to it.   It's really only worth scrap value.   Too bad.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: