Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 06:52:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheel balancing powder?  (Read 982 times)
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 02:23:46 PM »

Test were run on wheels balanced with weights by marking the tire and wheel with a grease pencil. After one hard stop the line drawn by the grease pencil showed the tire had rotated on the wheel negating the effect of balancing.

This was on a set of tires just mounted after balancing.

I have used Equal or it's equivalent for 22 years, and at no time did I ever have an issue. The key is to insure the Schrader valve cores have the screen mesh filter. I always check pressures with the stems near the bottom if possible so the inlet to the valve is pointing down. I also check pressures using a gauge mounted on my tire fill chuck and just before I read pressures I give it a quick shot of air just in case there is any balancing media in the stem.

But if you don't like Equal use Centrimatics or Balance Masters. They work on the same concept, but the balancing media is in the outer rim of the balancer and not in the tire.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
digesterman

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »

I had the powder or whatever it is put into the front tires on a boom truck and they would both slowly leak out. Was constantly putting air into them. Finally got tired of that and called out a tire company to tube them. When they took the tires off they showed me the original tire company, Les Schwab, hadn't put the correct valve stems in, after the right ones were installed never had a problem again.

If you go with the powder make sure they change the valves too.  P.S. on a boom truck semi we run fairly large front tires due to the axle weight and the powder did the job, never had an issue with balancing, worked well.

Lee
Le Mirage XL 45E
Detroit Series 60
470HP
97,250 original miles (10-2014)
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 01:11:18 PM »

Some have used a pint of antifreeze per tire with good results.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 03:04:48 PM »

Brings back many memories, like the Bear Alignment system years ago and their balancer system, remove front wheel with hub & brake drum as an assembly, using cones on each side mount on a heavy shaft, lift up place on bearings, first do the static balance, then start the spinning / dynamic balance, you could balance the assy to a very smooth condition.
That was about 1965 when I spent a week at the Bear factory school at Rock Island, Il. for truck / heavy front end work. That was in a former life I think.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: