Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 03:35:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: prevost H60  (Read 2527 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 07:05:27 AM »

The couple I saw and rode on had the 8v92 engine I couldn't picture a 8v71 in that monster

Life is short drink the good wine first
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, 08:36:26 AM »

It would be very hard to repower an H-60, however David Beagle who was in charge of buses, special projects, etc. at Holland America Gray Line told me he delved into the engineering required to put the M11/ISM into them.  This was during the time that they were doing some repowers of the 102's with Series 50's.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 09:16:21 AM »

I thought someone posted awhile back that they actually DID repower one or more of those H5's with CUMMINS M-11's. There are "artics" that have the engines in the trailer section but that underfloor design sounds like it can brink normal mechanics to tears just to check fluids. I too would doubt they had the 8V-71. I recall the brochure listing the 8V-92 as the sole engine. They sound alike so perhaps that's were the idea of the 8V71 came from. I rode on one once in '06 after my first and only cruise. I forgot exactyl where but it was about a 2 hour ride to Anchorage. Nice bus but the engine being in the front section was a bit of a turn off. No offense to the CROWN people
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 09:20:40 AM »

The Neoplan version of the H60 is the Jumbocruiser, which has always been my fantasy if-money-were-no-object bus. They built them for years in various versions (engine in the front, engine in the trailer), but eventually replaced it with the quad-axle Megaliner which had the same passenger capacity but fewer of the problems. Although you'd think that an articulated bus would be more maneuverable than a 50-foot long rigid vehicle, it's actually the other way around - with steering on all four axles the Megaliner has an amazingly small turning circle, and there's some entertaining videos on Youtube of them going around tight hairpin corners on narrow mountain roads in Italy etc.

In the bus (rather than coach) world, there was a phase around 10 years ago when swathes of new articulated buses swept away long-established fleets of double-deckers - again the passenger capacity of the 'bendies' wasn't any greater, but they did have the advantage of having many more entrance doors which greatly increased the speed at which passengers could get on and off, and therefore made them more profitable to run. But they didn't last long due to the backlash from the public and the city authorities due to the extra congestion and inconvenience they caused everyone else (plus twice the accident rate of the double-deckers etc - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1185613/Bag-bendy-bargain-Boris-Johnson-sells-hated-buses-80-000-o-n-o.html

But I'd still have a Jumbocruiser a heartbeat.

Jeremy

PS - Rolls Royce (aeroengines) and Rolls Royce (cars) is a perfect example of the same name being used by entirely different companies

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 09:27:37 AM »

In my pre internet days, I used to send away about once a year to NEOPLAN USA for brochures. They really had a wide range of impressive buses. Those JUMBO LINERS where beautiful monsters as were the double deck types. They had a bus for just about anything except skoolies. Too bad they went defunct back int he mid '00's sometime. More or less self inflicted with quality issues.
wdtjawshwdt

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2014, 04:49:56 PM »

Speaking of Neoplans...   I love these things.   http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/4468649351.html   I want somebody to finish this project.   

Josh
1981 MC9 6v92DD 5 speed fuller
RIP 1996 Amtran dt444e

Farmington MN
dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »

Speaking of Neoplans...   I love these things.   http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/4468649351.html   I want somebody to finish this project.   

Seen that for sale a number of times.  Its interior is in rougher shape than another project I know of around here...  The double-decker thing is awesome, though.  No driveline?  It'll take someone a whole lot of bucks to ever see the road in that thing.

Cheers, John
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2014, 09:49:20 PM »

Would need another bus to finish that one. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2014, 10:25:59 PM »

Seen that for sale a number of times.  Its interior is in rougher shape than another project I know of around here...  The double-decker thing is awesome, though.  No driveline?  It'll take someone a whole lot of bucks to ever see the road in that thing.

Cheers, John

Yes, it's at Premier Motorcoach in Santa Ana, just off the 55 freeway:  http://premiermotorcoach.com/   Their website is much better looking than their actual place  -  I wasn't hugely impressed when I looked around there.   That Neoplan is very wasteful of interior space, plus it has a funky add-on at the back that looks like an aluminum outhouse has been grafted on to it.   It's really only worth scrap value.   Too bad.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: