Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 06:52:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: intercooler vs aftercooler choices  (Read 395 times)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:49:07 AM »

After reading and pondering all of the advice from my earlier CAC thread, I am now considering going with an aftercooler as an option.  Reasoning is mostly packaging - it's going to be hard to get an appropriately sized intercooler installed in the MC-5C spaces, just not a lot of room.  So the question becomes what is the parts list needed for an aftercooler, and how is it plumbed?  Clifford, you mentioned that you had a air diffuser that I might well need to ask for, I see aftercoolers for sale but with really high prices or a big core charge, can they be found used?  I have an 8V-71 block that has the hole in front that is for the front aftercooler pipe.

I am kind of thinking I would just need to pull the blower off, install the aftercooler bits, plumb it in and reinstall the blower, which is achievable.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 05:32:18 AM »

Here's a start - they are very proud of the aftercooler :

http://www.powerlinecomponents.com/catalog/img/PCI/pgid/316/V71_aftercooler_pg121.jpg

http://www.powerlinecomponents.com/catalog/page.html?showpage=121&section=2

- Steve

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 08:23:37 AM »

First you're going to have to have a block that accepts the plumbing for the aftercooler. On a 8V-71, the highest horsepower Detroit offered with 80 injectors was 400hp with 1200lb/ft torque. A Cummins 8.9 liter ISL that weighs 600lbs less will put out that power and probably get 2-3mpg better. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 10:39:12 AM »

My block has the water outlet port in front of the blower (it was used for the spark ignition pre-heating device on the NATO engine) so I am going to presume that the block will fit the aftercooler for now.  Reading my manual it seems I need the aftercooler itself, the water outlet tube, the water inlet adaptor, a gasket set, some special bolts with locking patches, and that's about it.  I would also need to figure out where to connect the water outlet tube to, since my engine has a coolant cross pipe between the two thermostat housings where the manual shows the coolant outlet pipe connected to.  I suppose I could fabricate a tee-section into that cross-pipe, I can fabricate a coolant outlet housing out of aluminium to fit over the coolant outlet pipe of the aftercooler, and I could fabricate the water inlet adaptor too if it came to that, but I would prefer to find the pieces.  No where is the air diffuser for under the aftercooler mentioned in the manual.

So - anyone got some spare parts sitting in their shop?   Grin

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »

No room for a good inter cooler.  An after cooler may or may not work that well, plus an after cooler may just transfer the heat burden back to the radiator(s).  A properly designed and constructed inter cooler may or may not greatly affect the existing radiators capacity to remove heat.  A rock and a hard place fur sure.  HB of CJ (old coot) Sad
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 08:46:35 AM »

Brian,I have a couple at the shop they are the same as a 8v92 when I get home I'll see what we can come up with but I won't be back home till the end of the month I have to wait till salmon season closes in Idaho   Roll Eyes those things are fun to catch and good to eat 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 09:07:17 AM »

Thanks, Clifford - I was hoping you would come in one this!  I'll wait till you get back.  I live on one of the better Salmon rivers in Nova Scotia, I have about 100 feet of river bank on one side of my property, the "holes" are apparently up and down stream about a quarter mile.  They do catch and release only on the Salmon here, but you can keep as much trout as you can get.

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: