Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 05:30:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toekick fire hazard  (Read 1210 times)
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2006, 10:05:34 PM »

One of my Myson toekick heaters has been acting up, so I contacted the factory rep to honor their 3 year warranty.
No problem there, and the original vendor had me a new one in about a week. It arrived yesterday, but since it hasn't been too cold, I waited until tonight to change it out.
I've always been vigilant about keeping the floor area near the kitchen toekick clean, but having an indoor only cat adds to my total dust levels.
I thought there may be some small dust bunnies in the toekick access, but was not prepared for what I saw. In a space the size of four loaves of bread side by side, there was two loaves worth of dust balled up back there. WOW! So much for my good house cleaning.
If I recall correctly, Richard of DML fame lost a coach to a toekick fire. If this had been December 2007 instead of '06, it may have happened to me.
I have added cleaning the rear of the toekick access to my bi-yearly deep cleaning list.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 05:08:01 AM »

One of my Myson toekick heaters has been acting up, so I contacted the factory rep to honor their 3 year warranty.
No problem there, and the original vendor had me a new one in about a week. It arrived yesterday, but since it hasn't been too cold, I waited until tonight to change it out.
I've always been vigilant about keeping the floor area near the kitchen toekick clean, but having an indoor only cat adds to my total dust levels.
I thought there may be some small dust bunnies in the toekick access, but was not prepared for what I saw. In a space the size of four loaves of bread side by side, there was two loaves worth of dust balled up back there. WOW! So much for my good house cleaning.
If I recall correctly, Richard of DML fame lost a coach to a toekick fire. If this had been December 2007 instead of '06, it may have happened to me.
I have added cleaning the rear of the toekick access to my bi-yearly deep cleaning list.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

Jay, you are absolutely correct and that is why I am busless now.

The one that caught on fire in DML was near the head of the bed and to the best of my knowledge had never been cleaned. I know I never ever really thought about getting down there, lying on the floor, in a very narrow aisle,  to try and get to it.

The fire occurred the night after my daughter her husband and two children returned from a trip to Iowa. If they would have been out one day longer, the fire would probably have occurred while they were in the bus sleeping.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 05:35:42 AM »

After Dallas told me about Richards fire, I checked our small space heaters.  They were loaded with dust.  Since we are full timers I now clean all our heaters and fans at least every 2 weeks.  It is amazing how much dust accumulates in them.  I even open them up and blow out the dust and wipe down around the motors.  While it is apart, I oil them also.  Not only does this keep them safer, but it also helps give them a longer life span.  Cat

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
JerryH

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 02:23:09 PM »

Although I am still an "all electric" fan ... yes, gotta keep them clean.
We were sleeping one night when I awoke and smelled something.
One of the original electric fans seized, but kept heating -- wasn't a pleasant thing.
So if you buy someone else's coach ... before you go out and trust them ... clean them and check them out.
If they're the ones you installed ... keep 'em clean.

Jerry H.
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 04:11:24 PM »

Well, my bus saved our house two Christmas' ago.  My wife called me at work three days before Christmas.  She rather calmly informed me that we'd had a fire, but it was out now.  The motor in our washing machine caught on fire and quickly climbed up the wall.  My wife happened to be there and smelled the smoke.  She grabbed the fire extinguisher on the wall in the kitchen, but it didn't quite get the fire out.  Instead of panicing (which I probably would've done), she remembered that I had three fire extinguishers on the bus which was parked in the driveway because I had been working on it.  She ran outside, grabbed up two fire extinguishers and quickly put the fire out.  Saved our house, and our Christmas! 

Moral to that story is, you just can't have too many fire extinguishers around.  I can't believe I had more fire extinguishers on the bus than I did in the house.  Fires happen so fast.  It's easier to prevent than to put them out.

Whatever you decide, but I think a couple of fire extinguishers would make a great gift...

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: