Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 09:15:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6V92 Exhaust through the roof.  (Read 353 times)
Danr

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2014, 09:53:27 AM »

I all I bought a 1975 Mci Mc8 that has a repower from 8v71 to 6V92T When he done this he but the exhaust up through the roof along with the air intake to the turbo. now since I tore out his conversion to do mine own I find that he had a fire in the bedroom from the exhaust (see Pictures). Now I want to move it out of there so need some ideas of where to move it to. in the pictures the first one is of the intake the exhaust is behind it you can see it in #2 picture.

Thanks
Danr
Frank @ TX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 12:19:25 PM »

Hi Danr,
One option would be to return the exhaust to the way it was originally from MCI.
You should watch out that the air intake does draw in water when on the road and it's RAINING.
Look at other MC8's to see how the air and exhaust piping goes.
Really guard against drawing water into the engine.
Frank

Danr

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:11:41 AM »

Here are more pictures after I took the wall out and cleaned it up. Does anybody have any pictures of the way the exhaust was in a 1975 mci mc8 I can not see where it went. Would be very thankful for some.
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 12:52:43 PM »

That was a hairbrained idea with predictable results.  Guy must have been a trucker.  Anyway, you need to get your hands on the parts manual for a MC-9 that had the 6V92 info and it will show the parts diagrams for the exhaust installation.  From the turbo it went down to the muffler (inlet/outlet on same end) which is mounted under the air cleaner at the left rear of the bus; hopefully he did not install something in this area. The air intake box is above the muffler area.  Sam Caylor at Caylor Supply in KS will probably have all the parts used to put it back to stock.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 06:46:23 AM »

The muffler on an MC-8 was under the floor of the driver's side of the engine bay, in and out on the same end.  You can use a Donaldson muffler number M120131, which is a low restriction 5" in/out muffler with the in and out on the same end.  The exhaust is routed down the left side of the engine as you look at it from the rear, and through the floor to the inlet of the muffler.  I have a different turbo setup than you do, but you can see the exhaust piping going down through the floor in this picture.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 09:32:27 AM »

Both my air intake and exhaust are up. But-the bus was built that was with dedicated alcoves to keep the exhaust heat away from the interior. Muffler is down, just the tail pipe is up. Like it since I can see the exhaust from the driver's seat. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 11:04:31 AM »

Lots of MCI-9 info here:
http://www.busconversion101.com/mc9_maint_manual.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: