Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 17, 2014, 11:10:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diesel fuel smell in the coach  (Read 3171 times)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 06:46:21 AM »

What I can not imagine is a bus nut that does not love the smell of diesel! LOL
Richard

Tell that to my WIFE Richard.....lol

Nick-

Yep, I figured as much. Wives are like that!
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 11:21:20 AM »

Why not try "Febreze".  "It doesn't just mask the odors, it actually cleans the air!"

Or so I'm told.

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 11:39:51 AM »

Why not try "Febreze". "It doesn't just mask the odors, it actually cleans the air!"

Or so I'm told.

Jimmy

Huh, I coulda swore I suggested somethin like taht! LOL! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 11:43:07 AM »

What I can not imagine is a bus nut that does not love the smell of diesel! LOL
Richard

Ok problem solved just oak the area with gasoline! It'll clean up the diesel smell and remind her of the smell at the gas station when she's putting gas in the SUV! LOL! (Besides gas fume evaporate quicker! LOL!) BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 01:00:06 PM »

Funny Guy's,

Ok, The smell is gone....

This is what worked,      Everything.....  I started out degreesing the compartments, then, flushing them out with deoderizer and water.

Inside, my wife cleaned the entire coach, then she used Febreze on the fabrics, then placed renewzit oder absorbers near the vents.

I also put coffee grounds around the fuel tank itself....Wala...Can't smell it anymore..   Boy, I can go for a cup of coffee!

Thanks for everybody's help.

Nick & Michelle

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
JerryH

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 02:20:58 PM »

Nick:

The skunk would have been easier -- put him in, slam the door shut and hit the air horn.  WaLa ... no diesel smell.
By the way ... was that DeCaf??

Jerry H.
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 02:52:03 PM »

Hey Busted:

I'm glad he took "OUR" advice about the Febreeze!  I'm having a problem with my ADHD tonight.  I can read the posts, but after the first sentence, they just sorta blur out on me...

I'm having the same problem with hearing tonight.  Everytime somebody says something to me, I hear the first few words and then, "Wah, wah..wah...wah", you know, like that teacher on Charlie Brown cartoons.  I think I'm gonna...

Hey, what was I talking about again? Grin

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
akbusguy2000

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2006, 12:57:36 AM »

To get rid of skunks, throw some lutefisk into the area. Now all you have to do is figure out how to get rid of the Norwegians that show up.

Seriously, I was watching the program "myth busters" the other night where they tested a number of home-grown remedies to get rid of skunk odor. The one that worked best was a concoction of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and liquid dishwashing soap. They sprayed it all around, and it killed the skunk odor dead in its tracks - and did not leave another odor in its place. Maybe it will work on other things too.

As an aside, quite a few years in the Alaska freight business taught me that you should never ever backhaul fresh cannery bound salmon in an enclosed trailer, but it happened anyway once in awhile. The tubs tended to slop over as the ice melted. The only thing that would kill the odors left behind by spilled fish slime was fresh coffee grounds, and lots of them. It made a superior floor-dry too, albeit expensive.

tg
JerryH

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 05:57:49 AM »

To get rid of skunks, throw some lutefisk into the area. Now all you have to do is figure out how to get rid of the Norwegians that show up.
tg

Hey TG:
I hear that Norwegians can't stand the smell of disel fuel.
Jerry H.
John E. Smith

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2006, 09:54:41 PM »

Too bad I saw this one too late...

We have some stuff that we use when servicing coaches -- two items, actually, but one that gives the scent you smell in a freshly serviced charter bus.  I can't think of the name of it right now, but tomorrow I will post the name of the chemical and the source.

This stuff is a "spray & forget" item.  You simply saturate the A/C evaporator with it; the natural sweating of the evaporator rinses it off -- and provides the nice clean smell, too!

John E. Smith
John E. Smith

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2007, 08:57:56 AM »

Sorry I kind of forgot about this... I finally got the name of that stuff.

It is called "Evap Pow'r C" and is produced by Nu-Calgon of St. Louis, MO.

You simply spray it on the evaporator coils and forget it.  The condensation from operation washes it -- and the dirt -- off in use.  It leaves that nice, new freshly-serviced smell for months, too.

John E. Smith
gus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2007, 03:34:41 PM »

Listen to Dr Dave, anything that is acid or caustic is death on Al and almost as bad on steel. As I remember there was a not recently on Simple Green damaging aircraft Al so be sure to read the label closely if you use it. I think Simple Green came out with one especially for Al.

I wouldn't use baking soda or hydrogen peroxide either without doing some careful research.

Sort of one the same subject, I read somewhere that the fabric softener sheets for your home clothes dryer keep away mice. I tried them and they work-they also make the bus smell pretty good too. Only downside is they don't last very long and have to be replaced but that is a lot better than mouse $^&(($$ and *&^&$#.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
steve5B

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2007, 04:48:05 PM »

Hi Nick,

What you might want to try is a Ozone Generator. If you don't own one, the local Tool rental companys usually have them for rent.  Turn on high and in about 5hrs the smell will be gone!

Good Luck

Steve5B....

WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 07:43:26 AM »

Hi Steve,

Thanks. Now that I have my orriginal tank repaired and back in the bus, I don't seem to have the diesel

smell anymore. But, when I fire her up next month and run her down the road I'll see if the smell comes back

or not. I've seen the ozone generators at a supply house. I guess they really work. I'd like to try that. And

maybe I can create enough ozone to patch the hole in the sky.  LOL...

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 05:58:02 PM »

Ozone and rubber products don't get along.   Tires don't like ozone.
Cannot think of anything inside a bus that's rubber...but?  Maybe window seals?  I dunno.   
We have had a couple motorcycles that one of the tires showed signs of major dry-rot way before such failure would have been expected.  Found to be sitting next to large electric motors...air compressors.   Anyone else familiar with this? 
My idle thoughts for the day!  Wink   JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: