Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 01:08:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cruise control or throttle position holder  (Read 1580 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2014, 02:15:23 PM »

I found after a long drive (now even a short drive) the position of holding my heavy accelerator pedal begins to cause long-term back pain.  I doubt I can afford a cruise control, unless there is a affordable solution.  I looked at a bus like mine once that simply used a handle on a rod that secured the pedal in a consistent position.  The idea intrigues me but it needs to release withy the brakes.  However, maybe someone here has already invented the wheel and I can learn from you.  Is there an affordable solution so I can take my foot off the pedal on a longer drive?

Dave
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 06:51:47 PM by Tikvah » Logged

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »

Dave, my MC7 was a mechanical linkage from the foot pedal to the governor on engine, found it was easy to hold, so am wondering why yours is so hard, maybe needs lube or is binding.
Could be the return spring is too strong, check it over.
Dave M
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:42:43 PM by wg4t50 » Logged

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
sparkplug188

1979 Model 5 Eagle - 45/102 8v92 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 02:54:45 PM »

You can get throttle lock mechanisms, but they are only intended for keeping the engine at high idle.  There is no safety release mechanism as such shouldn't be used while driving--

VCGTX15 15' Foot Vernier Locking Adjustable HD Control Cable PTO Dump Truck

Consider installing an air throttle.  I had to stand on my mechanical throttle to get half throttle on the governor.  The new air throttle takes very little foot pressure and completely opens and closes the throttle.

http://www.coachconversioncentral.com/airthrottle.htm

Those prices are on the high end.  If you are patient, you can source new parts from Ebay for half as much as that site.

Last time I checked, 45' throttle cables were about the same price or slightly cheaper than an air throttle.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:25:17 PM by sparkplug188 » Logged
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 03:26:14 PM »

I also had a problem with throttle foot fatigue.  I did thoroughly lube the linkage as much as I was able, but this did not make any real difference in my case. I decided that the problem was not so much the force required, but rather the unnatural angle that I had to hold my foot; the foot had to be somewhat extended.  I therefore cut a wedge about the length and width of the pedal and taped it to the throttle.  This kept my foot in a neutral position while cruising, so I have not had any problem since.

I was talking to Ed H. at one point, and he said his 5a came from his PO with a block added to the peddle.  He also was happy with it.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 05:45:15 PM »

I love the air throttle idea but it's awful pricey... I don't see any on eBay or any google search.
If anybody sees one give me a shout

Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
sparkplug188

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 06:54:37 PM »

Accelerator Pedal Assembly currently $125 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Williams-Controls-Accelerator-Pedal-Assy-air-WM-453-109-117527-/171353379135?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item27e575113f&vxp=mtr

Check your PMs, I have an extra throttle actuator I can send you that will work with that pedal.

If you have an automatic transmission, you can use your existing throttle position cable or use an air modulator instead.

Allison Modulator currently $85 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILLIAMS-CONTROLS-MODULATOR-PART-WM-775-B-NEW-OLD-STOCK-/231234047860?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d69f8f74&vxp=mtr
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Williams-Controls-Accelerator-Pedal-Assy-air-WM-453-109-117527-/171353379135?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item27e575113f&vxp=mtr

Check your PMs, I have an extra throttle actuator I can send you that will work with that pedal.

If you have an automatic transmission, you can use your existing throttle position cable or use an air modulator instead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILLIAMS-CONTROLS-MODULATOR-PART-WM-775-B-NEW-OLD-STOCK-/231234047860?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d69f8f74&vxp=mtr   

I have a "pieced-together" air accelerator control on my bus, assembled from parts bought from Nick at NimCO, back in those days.  The parts are Williams -- it's a wonderful system.  Also recommend it highly.   Bruce Henderson,  NC   USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 04:50:15 AM »

I sent you an email.... I'll take your part and I'll take your suggestions on these other parts. 
The air throttle makes sense to me, in addition I know some folks who have fabricated an automotive type cruise control that will work with the lighter pedal from an air throttle.  So my hope is to kill two birds with one stone.   My other thread about cleaning and replacing the throttle cable is void now.

Thanks,
Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 04:54:32 AM »

Friends, Talk to me about what this means.  What is the best action?  Where does this go?  Is it worth it?

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 06:59:23 AM »

I have air throttle which makes for a light pedal. Since (like you) I have an Allison transmission, the throttle position modulator for the transmission works off the air pressure of the air throttle. Hence, when I installed my King Cruise, I simply made a medal extension on the gas pedal and ran the cable looped under the floor to the right side under the windshield. So the King Cruise just pulls down on the gas pedal. It works well except going down a hill where I get some surging. But on the flat and going up a hill, it is great-keeps the speed well in check. Not cheap, but worth it. As you've discovered all things with a bus are expensive. Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
sparkplug188

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 10:33:36 AM »

If you have an automatic transmission, there is a cable running from the governor on the engine down to the transmission.  The air modulator takes the place of the cable.  The output air from the accelerator pedal goes to a "T" then to both the transmission modulator and the governor actuator.

Keeping the existing cable modulator will save $85 for the air modulator and the cost of the DOT "T".  To keep the cable, just cut the existing throttle linkage where it enters the engine compartment and attach the air actuator to the linkage.  It will push the transmission cable and open the governor without modifying any of the linkages on the engine.

Some people say the air modulator shifting is more responsive.  Truthfully, there shouldn't be any difference between a properly adjusted cable and an air modulator.
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 03:37:43 PM »

If you have an air throttle, you can use a Rostra automotive type cruise control which is around 200 bucks insteadbof spending big bucks on a King unit. One of the members on the other forum use to sell them and was available for problems the unit might possibly experience. You can also get them on the web.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »

I was thinking of an old Chrysler car type cruise and a friend suggested the GM truck cruise also.

I'll check into the Rostra, never heard of it.

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 08:53:38 AM »

Dave - The previous owner of my bus screwed a piece of 2x4 to the floor at the bottom of the throttle pedal.  I was going to remove it cause it looks silly but after lots of driving with it...I realized its purpose and its actually comfortable.  Puts your foot at the top of the pedal and makes it easier to push.

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 09:03:45 PM »

Before you start buying parts the the pedal and the actuator on the engine need to match you may need to change the spring in the actuator to make it work right. Ron the bus Nut had some new pedals not long ago but no actuators.

The King will cost you about 600 bucks but is the best unit on the market for a mechanical engine also the Williams throttle is widely used in the marine and construction world I have paid 25 bucks for the complete set up at used equipment yards before fwiw

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: