Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 08:06:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MC-9 Air Tank  (Read 315 times)
rydrman

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2014, 11:12:19 AM »

Hey Folks,

My coach is in the shop right now getting safetied and they are telling me it needs a new air tank. The problem is that the tanks on the 9 are short and fat compared to the regular truck tanks and the mechanic is having trouble finding a replacement... I was going to try and see if I could get one from MCI but I don't have a part number. Anyone have a source for something like this near Ontario, Canada or is feeling nice enough to look up the part number for me (I don't have a parts manual).

Cheers!

grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »

There are a few tanks on the bus, which tank are they suggesting needs replacement? I would think you could find a used one from Sam Kaylor? He has always had several 9s in the bone yard.

I have a parts book and can help one we know more about which air tank.

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
krank

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 04:30:31 PM »

Phone up a couple of semi-trailer supply stores. They are larger than truck tank usually. Some of those tanks air larger in diameter to accommodate Rocky Mountain Double or triple/quad axle set-ups (increased volume).

Jim Eh.
1996 MC12
6V92TA / HT741D
(Sunchaser)
Winnipeg, MB.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 06:06:04 AM »

There are four tanks on the MC-9.  these numbers are from my MC-5C parts book but they are probably the same part numbers for your bus.

Accessory (up front under the driver's seat) 4B-19-1
Dry tank (rear of the rear luggage bay, driver's side,maybe behind the bulkhead wall) 4R-19-1
Wet tank and Park/Emergency tank (front axle bay, rear wall) 4R-19-2

I would try to get an MCI tank.  There is an MCI depot in Montreal, I would call there first.  They used the same tanks on almost every thing, probably up to the 1990's.  The PPV and the air filter are mounted on the parking brake tank, so getting the right tank makes the plumbing a lot easier.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
rydrman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 08:47:49 AM »

Thanks for the info, you have no idea how helpful that is (well actually you probably do).

It's the passenger side, main tank at the front (behind the axel) so looks like part number 4R-19-2, can someone confirm that?

My mechanic is used to truck work but not buses, I seemed to have twisted his brain too much with this one. Hopefully I'll find one not too far from here...

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 08:53:07 AM »

I would just phone up MCI in Montreal and ask them with that part number, you never know...  The tank you speak of is called the parking brake tank, btw.  The driver's side one is the wet tank, same part number.  http://www.mcicoach.com/service-support/serviceCenters/serviceCenterMontreal.htm

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: