Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 03:59:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eyes Wide Open at Walmart  (Read 3297 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2014, 08:24:43 PM »

Works good Bruce think about it those stores are 3 to 5 acres under the roof it has to be good I like it no info need to log on either

Life is short drink the good wine first
Lostranger
Sophia

Gillig Low Floor

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2014, 05:40:06 AM »

The Lowe's stores in NC have a big sign near the entrance door "WiFi Available".   They're making a feature of it - makes sense, somebody can search part numbers, etc. on a smart phone if they have access to WiFi.  I didn't know that it was really good in the parking lot, too.

After we got the Gillig and before we had cable internet at home base, I used to drive the bus to Lowe's occasionally and spend a few hours doing research, surfing, updating my build thread. We had a hotspot device from Verizon Wireless, but Lowe's WIFI was much better, even in the parking lot. I would go in at least once during each visit and buy something, if only a candy bar. Never asked permission, but I did not do it often and never stayed overnight at that location. Did not realize until recently that asking permission is protocol at Wally World. I'll remember that.

Anytime we use a business lot, including truck stops, I try to get as far out of the way as possible. We never sit outside, and we never stay longer than it takes for me to rest. Wife does not drive the bus, and I usually pull out before daylight while she's sleeping.

Lowe's WIFI times out after either one hour or two. Can't remember. Doesn't matter, though. No problem to log back on.

Jim in NC

Jim Huskins
Marion, NC
1999 Gillig H2000LF
Yes Virginia,
You CAN convert a low floor.
Audiomaker

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2014, 08:53:17 AM »

On the trip to Walmart that started this thread, a big class A was parked off in the overflow lot (toad and all), and 3 feet in front of it was the "No Overnight Parking" sign.  Curtains drawn... I wanted to take photo so bad, but I figured whomever was in there didn't really wan't some dude outside taking pic's of him there.

I dunno about this asking permission thing.  We all want to do the right thing.  Once in my life I was a security guard and I know if it were me on duty, I really wouldn't want 5 RV'ers coming up to me every day asking for permission and making it a topic between me and the boss.
I'd know they were there, I'd know why they were there, and I'd just want them not to make a mess or make themselves obvious, or stay too long.
Beyond that, I don't think they really care, and the signs are up for a city ordinance made by people who get paid to make rules even when rules don't need to be made.

I'm sorry, but I for one *won't* be asking for permission to park in a Walmart.  I've done it too many times in my life.  If it's a problem, then security will generally circle the lot, and then smaller circles around your rig letting you know.  When I've had this happen, I usually jump out and talk to them saying something like "I'm having an electrical issue and if it's ok, I'd rather see what parts I need to buy in the morning", or even "I just drove 700mi and I don't think I can get back on the road without causing an accident tonight".

If they aren't looking at you, they probably don't want to be bothered either.  They have other security tasks at hand.

That's just my take from both being a lot sleeper, and a security guard.
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2014, 09:23:45 AM »

Sean - It never hurts to ask.  We've been in situations where signs have said no overnight parking but the manager has said its okay as long as we move on in the AM.  Its also helps to build a "repoire" with the management (as RVers) whether you plan on staying or not.  As soon as you meet them and they know your prerogative they typically leave you alone.  9 times out of 10 if someone doesn't ask it sort of implies a lack of respect...and I'm pretty sure the ones that are "camping" in the parking lot with a grill and lawn chairs and staying for a few days are the ones not asking. 

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Audiomaker

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2014, 09:48:02 AM »

Sean - It never hurts to ask.  We've been in situations where signs have said no overnight parking but the manager has said its okay as long as we move on in the AM.  Its also helps to build a "repoire" with the management (as RVers) whether you plan on staying or not.  As soon as you meet them and they know your prerogative they typically leave you alone.  9 times out of 10 if someone doesn't ask it sort of implies a lack of respect...and I'm pretty sure the ones that are "camping" in the parking lot with a grill and lawn chairs and staying for a few days are the ones not asking.  

-Sean

I agree about the grill, and I think people's experience with asking generally ends up being pleasant but I think that's from the RV's perspective.
You stay one night... so do 4 others...maybe more, but the manager is there *every day*.
I can tell you that if I were a manager of something like a Walmart...even if I were cool and overlooking city ordinance... that 5 or more times a day getting pulled aside by a stranger and being asked if they could park in the corner of the lot would become very tedious.
I think they are either going to let you, or you're going to be approached by security.
My own take is that I would not find it disrespectful if an RV'er didn't interrupt my job so that I might focus on his world for an answer that I've already decided in advance and given dozens of times that month.

As a former bar owner I suppose it's not much different.  I got asked the same questions every night, and eventually delegated the answers to my security staff.  "I'm drunk...can I sleep it off in my car for awhile?".   The answer was yes, but not only was I tired of being asked, it also involved me in giving permission to do something that was against city ordinance.  The morality of it forced me to allow it, but I'd really rather not know... or pretend not to know.

Different perspectives.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:53:07 AM by Audiomaker » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: