Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 12:02:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for porch light; Starlight?  (Read 569 times)
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2014, 08:31:33 AM »

I am looking for a motion detector porch light that looks like it was made for an RV, not the back door of a my house.

Are any of you familiar with Starlight's SL-1000? It doesn't look too bad, but I wish it was led.

Any info or other ideas appreciated.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 09:04:17 AM »

John, if you are looking for an LED fixture you might consider these:

http://www.rvledbulbs.com/category-s/47.htm

And if you end up buying from them, that carries the added perk of supporting one of the advertisers that supports BCM.  (So if you talk with them, be sure to let them know you found out about them from BCM.  It always helps to let advertisers know that.  Otherwise they don't know that there advertising with BCM is money well spent.)
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 10:34:42 AM »

John, if you are looking for an LED fixture you might consider these:

http://www.rvledbulbs.com/category-s/47.htm

And if you end up buying from them, that carries the added perk of supporting one of the advertisers that supports BCM. ... 

I bought a couple of dozen LED's for the ceiling "puck lights" in my bus.  Among the best things I ever did -- they were quick, helpful, knowledgeable; just everything you want in a supplier.  Prices were good, too.  Yeah, "shop with confidence"!

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
sparkplug188

1979 Model 5 Eagle - 45/102 8v92 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »

Any light can be wired to a motion detector switch.  eBay and Amazon have 12v, 24v, and 120v motion detector modules from $5 to $25.  If you go this route, the motion detector can be wired to trigger the marker light relay in addition to the porch light.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 11:55:17 AM »

... the motion detector can be wired to trigger the marker light relay in addition to the porch light.

One problem there.  The marker lights usually are run off the chassis batteries, not the house batteries. When parked, the chassis battery master switch is usually cut off.
sparkplug188

1979 Model 5 Eagle - 45/102 8v92 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »

True.  Also, the motion detector will need to be automatically disabled when the ignition is in the on position.  There are ways to make it function correctly, safely, and not look completely hacked.  If needed, I can post a schematic-- it just takes time to draw one up.
baker4106

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 04:18:35 PM »

Not sure if it is a starlight but I have a motion sensor light on my 4106.   They are now available with LEDs.   Saw them this past week at an rv show.
John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »

Yeah, I haven't figured out how to wire my turn signals to work as four way flashers so I won't be controlling my marker circuit with a motion derector.  But using a separate detector for the porch lights may work. Have to think about that.

www.silverbrook-mn.com

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 04:51:07 PM »

Yeah, I haven't figured out how to wire my turn signals to work as four way flashers so I won't be controlling my marker circuit with a motion derector.  But using a separate detector for the porch lights may work. Have to think about that.

I can probably help you with the flasher problem. Do you have a schematic for you lights?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 08:20:28 PM »

Thanks Craig, for the offer to help. How you guys doing down there? Looks to be getting pretty wet. Any flooding in your area? Bet the skeeters are loving it.

No, I don't have any drawings of the wiring. Been redone and added to, way too many times. I suppose I could go out there and draw one up.

www.silverbrook-mn.com

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 08:40:23 AM »

We're good. Some flooding in the area. We're not affected. Yes, mosquitoes are rampant!

It really would not be difficult to rig up a 4 way to your blinkers. A switch, a flasher and a couple diodes connected to the blinker studs in the electrical panel would
suffice. Should even be possible to use the existing blinker flasher, and just add a switch and a couple diodes to the connections. 

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 10:10:27 AM »

Hey Craig, thanks again. Last night I ordered a turn signal switch with flasher (and instructions). So after that arrives I will let you know if I still need help. Keep your powder dry!

www.silverbrook-mn.com

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 10:21:32 AM »

Hey Craig, thanks again. Last night I ordered a turn signal switch with flasher (and instructions). So after that arrives I will let you know if I still need help. Keep your powder dry!

That actually might be the easiest way because the switch should have the 4-way built in.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 10:48:01 AM »

Thanks high tech redneck. I bought the porch light from rvledbulbs. And I thanked them twice for being an advertiser.

If anyone is looking for an led motion detector porch light, be aware that "led" does not show up in their title or listing for the SL-1000. But in the description a line has been added to the front end saying it now comes with an led. A very nice looking light and it fits the space I have for it. I could not match their price anywhere else with led.

www.silverbrook-mn.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: