Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 10:06:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paint prep  (Read 348 times)
krank

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2014, 11:52:14 AM »

I found a neat little tool to make prepping for paint a ton easier. It is a spot blaster, which is a siphon (or gravity feed) hand held sand blaster with an assortment of rubber boots. One of which is a round one that works great for removing loose/peeled paint from around rivets, duzs fastners, and the dreaded mono bolts. The edge of the sand blasted area around the rivet could use feathering but I always say ... nobody will never see it at 60 mph. I would much rather have a small line in the paint around the rivet than to have the new paint bubble and peel around the rivets in a year of so.

Jim Eh.
1996 MC12
6V92TA / HT741D
(Sunchaser)
Winnipeg, MB.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 02:15:32 PM »

I found a neat little tool to make prepping for paint a ton easier. It is a spot blaster  ... 

Oh, yeah, I see that being useful LOTS of places.  Thanks for this.  Do you have a URL with info on specs, where to buy, etc.?

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
krank

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 03:13:58 PM »

In Canada, Princess Auto, in the US probably Harbour Freight or most any auto parts place. I usually wait for the items I want to come on sale but my timing was out on this one so I paid around 50$. On sale I heard they were down to about 30$. Worth whatever you pay.
I just used shop air which is running at about 125 psi on a 120 gallon tank and used a chair or small ladder so the compressor could keep pace. The boot catches a lot of the blast media and dumps it into the catch bag for re-use. There is some that drops to the floor when you relocate the gun. I was reusing the media about three times then put in fresh stuff. The kit comes with a very aggressive coke media which works very well ... almost too well. I switched to a glass bead and the rivet surface was a lot smoother but it did take a bit longer to clean fully. The nice part was the I could do it inside an active shop without bothering anyone, no dust (as long as I kept the gun tight to the surface).

Jim Eh.
1996 MC12
6V92TA / HT741D
(Sunchaser)
Winnipeg, MB.
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »

Jim:

Awesome! How much air pressure do you need to operate this?

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: