Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 03:04:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breakdown insurance?  (Read 714 times)
Audiomaker

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2014, 10:05:16 AM »

Hey all, I'm sure this have been covered, but things in the insurance would change a lot so...

Can you get insurance on the mechanicals of your bus?

Also, while we're here... What other pieces of insurance advice do you have?

Thanks!
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »

Insurance ?  My mechanical insurance is good proper maintance, if you take good care of all the mechanic issues (not wash & wax) your need for insurance to save your dumb butt on the road goes way way down.  For the small items like tire changes etc, use Good Sam road side type insurance, there are others too.
I have 25+ years RV/Bus playing, not the first need for outside help as no issues yet.

I do plan on every trip that I may need to be towed home on a hok or Landol.
Do it your way, good luck
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 10:54:17 AM »

My bus insurance actually came with a rider for trip interruption and possibly towing as well, but I have towing insurance with Coachnet.  My insurance is with a company called Aviva.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Audiomaker

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 10:56:20 AM »

Insurance ?  My mechanical insurance is good proper maintance, if you take good care of all the mechanic issues (not wash & wax) your need for insurance to save your dumb butt on the road goes way way down.  For the small items like tire changes etc, use Good Sam road side type insurance, there are others too.
I have 25+ years RV/Bus playing, not the first need for outside help as no issues yet.

I do plan on every trip that I may need to be towed home on a hok or Landol.
Do it your way, good luck
Dave M

Well I've never owned any kind of mechanical insurance and I've worked on my own vehicles my entire life, but my dumb butt is realizing that if I'm living in the thing and something catastrophic happens, I don't have 10k in the bank to get my home...home (maybe everyone else does, but I don't).
I never worried about it when I had a shop at home and could get my vehicles dragged there so I could fix them.
To that end, I was wondering about policies that might cover the mechanicals regardless of my best attempts to keep things in top working order.
brmax

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 11:35:41 AM »

I will like to following this topic!
retired here with 30+ as a field and on road mechanic over 100 pieces assigned 76 licensed agree it is definitely different when not in your area and logistics in another state is another game. Much less another country with language differences Undecided
Having said I could just be an hour away from that part!, so planning as mentioned above.
I thought I knew something with trucks tractors loaders anything construction, but the bus is top drawer and a different cabinet so lots of listening and favorites files if I could just remember, WOW im going to the garage

1992 MC9
6V92
Allison
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 11:39:06 AM »

We have coachnet for covering trouble on the road but that covers towing to a shop or replacing a tire.  I also share your fear of a serious breakdown, we don't have $10k sitting around either. One could easily say that we should not own a bus if we are in that situation but I'm thinking that good PM and a plan to tow it home if it breaks seriously is our choice.  Going over things this spring, I found a fuel leak and I knew my coolant hoses were 14 years old so I'm replacing all of them.

My biggest fear is overheating, we have a 450HP turbo 8V92 and that is always a worry in the summer for us.  

We have National Interstate for insurance and they also offer a discounted coachnet policy with the insurance.  

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
Audiomaker

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 11:53:11 AM »

My regular insurance company knows my circumstance.  My agent mentioned home owners insurance for the RV.
I told her I'd get back to her, but I'm wondering what that covers?

I'll find out, but I figured if something was offered, you folks would know the in's and out's of it.
Audiomaker

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 11:55:32 AM »

<snip> One could easily say that we should not own a bus <snip>

By that reasoning, one should not own a house either. 
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 06:02:18 PM »

My rv insurance has road liability and collision plus roadside service (towing, tires battery and fuel) essentially the same service as a car, just bigger.

Having said that I also have contents loss from vandals, theft, and fire.

and if you fall out my door because I let you visit, you will sue my insurance company, not me because I have nothing Smiley

I am reasonably certain that you will not find coverage for major or minor drive train ooops'. You can buy fly-by-night coverage for an out of warranty car....but I'm thinking Zombie Apocalypse Survival Nuclear Fallout Portable Shelter....ain't happening.
VISA is my catastrophic ooops coverage.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 06:13:33 PM »

Sam's keeps sending us the repair coverage for RV's of course you can or have to purchase extra. I ask why they keep sending this to me. They say to just apply and the minute I tell them the year of our Bus they say "oh its only for 10 years or newer RV's". I say it is a Bus conversion / motor-home. They say oh we don't cover Bus conversions except for towing and fuel and tires. I always just laugh and then tell them ,"can you not send all these offers then if I am not able to purchase them". well no we send them to everyone that is registered as a member.

So I told her with the printing cost you would save maybe you could afford to pay for repairs on Buses also?
So She says oh no we couldn't do that?HuhHuh??

We have Coach.net

Dave5cs

My personal skills are fine.. it’s my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
Audiomaker

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 08:18:22 PM »

<snip>...but I'm thinking Zombie Apocalypse Survival Nuclear Fallout Portable Shelter....ain't happening.<snip>

ZASNFPS??

Hard to say, but it would fit on a vanity plate Smiley
Scott Crosby

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 04:57:59 AM »

$1,000 per month premium and a $10,000 deductible and it still might not be profitable for an insurance company.   My insurance is an extra running engine and trans cradle in my garage.  I takes away a lot of stress and worry, plus I sleep much better at night knowing its there.  My fun schedule of what is about 3 hrs of preventative maintanence to every 1 hour of driving on the coach gets you very familiar with all the systems and helps spot problems before they become trip ending.   

61 GM Fishbowl TDH 4516 102" 35'
1947 GM PD 3751
www.busgreasemonkey.com
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 05:22:30 AM »

If I felt the need to have insurance to cover towing, I would have to rethink my plans to take the bus out of the garage.

It isn't the cost of towing that would concern me. If I was so concerned about reliability of the bus I would be far more concerned about ending up at the mercy of some distant shop and the cost associated with a major repair such as an engine or transmission.

Our bus isn't an adventure, it is our second home and if my wife knew I was worrying about buying insurance because I thought the bus might break down she would not be joining me on trips

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 08:18:46 AM »

Of course, down here South of the border, there is no such thing as break-down insurance o even towing insurance. When we finally get up and running and go to the U. S., we will probably sign up for CoachNet, as it seems to have very good reviews.

Our main focus is preventive maintenance.  We have replaced all belts, breaks, wheel bearings, air hoses that looked warn. Radiator core was replaced with a new one. (Old one was 31 years old and really rotten.) The 6V92TA received new pistons, sleeves, and the heads rebuilt. Air compressor was completely rebuilt, and an air drier added. Alternator also received new brushes, bearings and cleaning.

Rear end oil s replaced when we changed the bearings. There was water contamination in the oil, so that was a good thing.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: