Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 01:31:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daniel McMurphy's Bus Accident.. [2 more weeks sticky]  (Read 35910 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2006, 01:08:08 PM »

I also have a Mini Chopper that I was using for a promo on my web site. I drew the winner last night who chose a cash offer instead of the bike because of shipping costs. I plan to put it on Ebay tuesday to recoup some of my money. I have $500.00 in it and will give anything over that to this fund. It's original cost was $900.00. any of you interested in it make a reasonable offer over my cost in it and you can have first dibbs. the shipping can probably channel through some bus nuts going to Arcadia and payment through pay pal.
Be creative in your efforts to help others and you can have a win/win situation

I'd like to explore this a little more before you dump that chopper off on Ebay.....

Seems to me there's a big bike rally down in FL in the spring?  Is that right?  I'm not a biker, so don't know much about the stuff. But, is there some way that that little mini bike could be auctioned off at the bike rally in FL with the proceeds above your cost being designated for the benefit of Dan?  I have a feeling if it were advertised and happened on the last day of the bike rally that the turnout would be very good. That would make a fine promotional tool for some custom shop, and you might spark a bidding war between a few of them.

Just a passing thought to stir the creative juices in the crowd....

Comments? 

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2006, 04:51:20 PM »

I also have a Mini Chopper that I was using for a promo on my web site. I drew the winner last night who chose a cash offer instead of the bike because of shipping costs. I plan to put it on Ebay tuesday to recoup some of my money. I have $500.00 in it and will give anything over that to this fund. It's original cost was $900.00. any of you interested in it make a reasonable offer over my cost in it and you can have first dibbs. the shipping can probably channel through some bus nuts going to Arcadia and payment through pay pal.
Be creative in your efforts to help others and you can have a win/win situation

I'd like to explore this a little more before you dump that chopper off on Ebay.....

Seems to me there's a big bike rally down in FL in the spring? Is that right? I'm not a biker, so don't know much about the stuff. But, is there some way that that little mini bike could be auctioned off at the bike rally in FL with the proceeds above your cost being designated for the benefit of Dan? I have a feeling if it were advertised and happened on the last day of the bike rally that the turnout would be very good. That would make a fine promotional tool for some custom shop, and you might spark a bidding war between a few of them.

Just a passing thought to stir the creative juices in the crowd....

Comments?

This may be the bikers rally you are talking about in Key West. I would love to go this one somtime.
http://www.650motorcycles.com/
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
JerryH

« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2006, 04:55:17 PM »

Craig & Others...
You're thinking about the chopper thing ... I began thinking about auction (eBay) and stuff.

For example. I have a bunch of stuff here left over from kitchen and bath jobs.
I am sure we all have stuff from our conversions and so on.

Could we do something collectively through eBay. Establish an account specifically for the Daniel McMurphy Fund.
Maybe talk with eBay ... I know they've done charity stuff before ... worth a looksie?

Collectively put our (decent) stuff (which is likely gatherin dust) on the table for auction.
All proceeds to go directly into the PayPal account.

Your thoughts.
I have stuff like sink(s), faucet(s), microwave(s), etc.

Also ... I think they do a swap meet down there. Maybe something can be tied there as well?Huh

Jerry H.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2006, 07:40:51 PM »

I'm ordinarily a "lurker" but I had to comment on the outpouring of pledges and prayers for this family. Although I've only really just started converting my MC-7, I have learned so much from this board. I've learned that the hobby is loaded with very kind and generous people from all walks of life! The cost to convert a bus is worth the price, just for admission to such a great group. Diane and I look forward to meeting some of you when the bus is road worthy.
Dave Jensen Monroe, NC

Hi Dave, thanks for very kind words! One of these days I'm gonna drive over there and see what you're doing! You are only about 15 minutes from me...if I'm correct in my assumption. Is your bus inside a fence in your backyard?
Feel free to drop by over here too. I can show you what you don't want to do. Your idea of "lurking" and learning is a better approach than the convert-it-and-pray-method method that I used.
Good to see that you are still moving forward. Hope to meet you soon! JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2006, 09:54:40 PM »

Hey Gumpy please IM your address to me again. I seem to have lost it! U have a $ 100.00 check in the desk drawer I need to mail! Thanks. BK   Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2006, 04:54:52 AM »

Also ... I think they do a swap meet down there.  Maybe something can be tied there as well?

Yes, we do have a Swap Meet that goes on all week. Anyone who wants to donate all or part of their sales to the fund can do so. We plan to have a "Donation Box" also with photos of Daniel and the wreck attached to it. Bussin' 2007 will also make a donation of rally money left over after all rally expenses are paid. Jack
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 04:57:40 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2006, 04:59:25 AM »

Ok, this reminded me of something...

I have about 600 PEX fittings in my garage. I've previously advertised them on the swap portion of this board @ $2.00 each.

If anyone wants some of these, I'll donate $1 for every one sold to the fund.

If I can make it to the rally, I'll bring them along for the swap table.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Glenn MC9

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2006, 05:40:55 AM »

Hey Fellas,

I just got off the phone (8 AM) with Dan's sister Dee. Dan is in surgery this morning, hopefully for the final time. She said his spirits have been good considering what he's gone through.

I plan to get down there in the next few days to see him. Also, I told Dee that if there was anything that our singing group could do (benefit singing), please contact me.

Dan is still at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta. He is in room 635, section 6-B. The number for patient information is (404) 616-1000.

Glenn
Tallulah Falls, Ga.

1984 MCI-9 (Jersey Cruiser)
6V92-TA/Alison 740
Tallulah Falls, Ga.
www.tlmmusic.com.

Everywhere I go.....there I am.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2006, 05:50:42 AM »

Glenn,

That's good news.

I received a letter from his sister Debbie yesterday. She said they will be taking his parents up to see him on Thursday.

Please give Dan and his family our regards when you see him.

Craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2006, 10:58:55 AM »

Tracy,

Thank you for posting.

As I told Debbie yesterday in my email to her, what we are doing here is not much, in the whole scheme of things, and considering the challenges Danny faces ahead, but if it will help him and his family in some small way to get through this, it's all well worth the effort.

Please return from time to time to post updates of Danny's condition.

Craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

grow0441
Flying Horse

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2006, 11:28:48 AM »

Also ... I think they do a swap meet down there. Maybe something can be tied there as well?

Yes, we do have a Swap Meet that goes on all week. Anyone who wants to donate all or part of their sales to the fund can do so. We plan to have a "Donation Box" also with photos of Daniel and the wreck attached to it. Bussin' 2007 will also make a donation of rally money left over after all rally expenses are paid. Jack

I have never tried a post to this board.  Hope this works.

Jack, I was sitting here trying to think of something I could do to help with the fund when I realized I have more 24 VDC bulbs (markers, tail, turn signal, etc.) than I am going to need for my conversion.  They are left from when I owned and operated 3 MCI's.  I will be happy to bring them with me to Arcadia for sale and all the proceeds can go to the fund.  I have long ago amortised them out.  Maybe this need is why I kept them for so long!  I have no idea what the current cost for a 24 VDC bulb is these days.  I would like to price them reasonably close to market today so the fund gets the benefit, but also a "deal" for the buyer as well. 

Geary Rowell
Venice, Fl
grow0441

When the dream is big enough, the facts don't matter!
Glenn MC9

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2006, 01:53:42 PM »

Hey Fellas,

As things worked out, I was able to go and see Dan today instead of later like I thought. After I posted my other note this morning, I found out I had to go to the Atlanta area today for some company business. 

As I said previously, Dan was taken back into surgery early this morning. When I got there about lunch time he was back in his room. He was still drowsy but was able to talk some. He said he was in some pain but was OK. I didn't ask him any questions but I did let him know what everyone was doing for him on the board, and that everyone was wishing him a speedy recovery. He said he appreciated everyone and to tell everyone "thanks".

Dee (his sister) told me this morning that Dan preferred to listen to CD's rather than watching television. So I left him a couple of our groups CD's to listen to. I also told her if our singing group could be of any service in the future with "benefit singings" to please let me know. I think we all realize that his medical expenses have just begun.

I didn't stay to long, as the nurses were pretty busy trying to get him comfortable. They did give us time together to pray before I left. That in itself was worth the trip.

Along with the CD's that I left, I left my card so anyone in the family can reach me if need be. I live about 1 1/2 hours northeast of Atlanta.

Hopefully in the next week or so, I'll be able to see him again. If I hear anything new, I'll let you know.

Glenn
1984 MC-9
Tallulah Falls, Ga

1984 MCI-9 (Jersey Cruiser)
6V92-TA/Alison 740
Tallulah Falls, Ga.
www.tlmmusic.com.

Everywhere I go.....there I am.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2006, 03:35:36 PM »

Thank you for the update Glenn.

As of right now, the paypal donations total $2,840.58 USD and I received 3 checks today totaling $300, for a grand total of $3140.58.

I think the response has been really great. I'd love to double or tripple that amount, but, please be responsible in your donations. I understand that not everyone can afford to donate money, but your thoughts and prayers are still appreciated.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2006, 04:32:24 PM »

Hello Tracy and Dean,

We are glad that you wrote in. I hope you will stay as a member in our group and intice Dean someday to

convert his own bus...?? ??   We are just happy to hear that Dan is still with us and we are able to help him.

Hopefully in the comming months we can increase the size of the funds and contribute more.

Please keep us informed of Dan's progress.

Nick Badame

Hello,

I am Tracy McMurphy, Danny's sister-in-law.

Actually, there are quite a few of us in the McMurphy clan. 12 siblings, and all are married and a bunch of grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I am married to Dean, the youngest sibling.

We are a VERY large group, to say the least. You ought to see the family Christmas parties every couple of years.

My husband helped Danny raise the roof and weld on that bus many years ago at their uncle's house in Merritt Island FL. Dean is very proud of that, and is very close to his brother. I also feel Danny is the big brother I never had, being the oldest of 3 myself. I have been on that bus many times, and our oldest son, age 9, also named Daniel, loves that bus. He saw the accident photos and says, "Uncle Danny can fix that." Although we don't own a bus, Dean is also sort of a "bus nut". He has driven church buses and worked on them for years, and would just love to have his own bus someday.

I am just horrified by this accident and it has had a profound effect on all of us, that is for sure. We live in Florida too and it is a very helpless feeling when you know you cannot do anything for your brother, except wait and pray. We had just seen Danny and Heather and Hannah on Thanksgiving.

I will say I am impressed by you Busnuts. I have never seen such an outpouring of love and caring from a group before.

I want to say thank you. Thank you for being there for Danny and offering help to the family. It isn't just the money. It is the idea that total strangers (and a few friends) would be so generous, that just impresses me and Dean to no end.

What a blessing! Thank you all, so very much.

Tracy (and Dean) McMurphy

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
JerryH

« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2006, 05:36:20 PM »

Jack, Craig & Others ...

More thinking here.

We often have fund raisers at school which incorporate (I think they call it) "Silent Auctions".

Tables are set out and merchandise, services, etc. are placed on the table with a starting bid.  People then make a bid offer (with name, etc.) and place in container in front of that item.  High bid wins, ALL proceeds benefit Daniel.

In addition to BusNuts bringing "stuff", could larger companies be sought out to help?  For example (hey Luke ... if you're reading) ... a company like Luke's could (possibly) offer some sort of service or dollar amount towards a service at his place.

Maybe MCI Parts could offer up something ... or a Gift Certificate to their parts store.  The list goes on as to their possibilities.  This could be a Win-Win for everyone.  Larger companies can get involved for a very good cause, smaller organizations could help, BusNuts can do their thing -- both on the bidding and donating end.  Often times bidders exceed the actual value of the item being auctioned.  They feel good ... they get something for their efforts ... and the fund for Daniel (in theory) could do well.

Welcome your thoughts.

Jerry H.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: