Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 09:05:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daniel McMurphy's Bus Accident.. [2 more weeks sticky]  (Read 34693 times)
steve5B

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2006, 08:16:30 PM »

Fox news here in Indianapolis this evening showed a bus that hit the back of a tractor-trailor in the state of GA.
Mentioned that it was a passenger. From above it looked like a conversion, the driver was taken to the local hospital, condition unknown at this time. Hope it wasn't a busnut. Pray everyone will be alright.

Steve5B
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 07:41:08 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 05:34:07 AM »

That's definitely a conversion. Appears to be an Eagle. Photo don't look good.
Says the guy is Daniel McMurphy of Union, Mississippi, age 52.

http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=88579

Removing the photos due to copyright concerns. Will repost if I can obtain proper permission....
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 06:16:31 AM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 05:46:00 AM »

And another link. These are more graphic...

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/10459572/detail.html

Removing the photos due to copyright concerns. Will repost if I can obtain proper permission....
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 06:17:08 AM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Moof

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 08:03:08 AM »

These pictures illustrated the similarity between buses and aircraft.  The bus driver and pilot are always first ones at the scene of the crash.  Sad   Slow seems to be the key.  There is a lot of metal behind you pushing, and not much between you and whats up ahead.  Safer and better mileage.   

Thanks for the pictures Gumpy. 
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 08:39:20 AM »

Slow seems to be the key. There is a lot of metal behind you pushing, and not much between you and whats up ahead. Safer and better mileage.

The truck was obviously slower than the bus & it didn't keep him out of a wreck.

It occurs to me that keeping pace with traffic & a safe following distance is the best way to avoid collisions.
People going too slow cause problems by bunching up traffic which allows the idiots & steering wheel huggers ample opportunity to stir up trouble. This is when an otherwise good driver gets into real trouble from one brain fart.

Amazing he survived, I hope he pulls thru.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Dreamscape

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 05:15:49 PM »

Does anybody know the gentleman involved and has anyone heard how he is doing?

This is a tragic accident.

I see bad things happen everyday on the I-5 going through Los Angeles to Orange County.

If people would just slooooooow down and pay attention when they drive!

Both hands on the wheel at all times here.

Paul

Dreamscape
Foolsgold

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 05:28:48 PM »

Hey I DO know this guy! He's the guy that re-wired my eagle and then moved to Ms after he got married. That's his eagle that he converted here in Bushnell Florida.

Going to try and find out more!

Ace
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 05:38:14 PM »

more info....
Bus, Semi-Truck Crash On I-20

POSTED: 2:05 pm EST December 4, 2006
UPDATED: 5:10 pm EST December 4, 2006

ATLANTA -- A bus and tractor-trailer collided on Interstate 20 just west of Atlanta this afternoon, trapping the bus driver.

Officer Joe Cobb, spokesman for the Atlanta Police Department, said the driver was the sole occupant of the bus. The accident happened in the eastbound lanes of the interstate.

The driver was freed by rescue workers and sent to Grady Memorial Hospital with critical injuries.

Officials identified the driver as 51-year-old Daniel McMurphy of Mississippi. It took at least 30 rescue workers over an hour to free McMurphy from the wreckage. Officials say McMurphy may have lost a leg in the accident.

News Chopper 2 showed the front of the bus crunched into the rear of the tractor-trailer. The bus bore Mississippi license tags.

Cobb says he has no details on how it happened.

Hope he's ok.
Devin

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
Foolsgold

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 06:05:30 PM »

Just talked to a real close friend of his and he said that he thinks he lost both legs. When i talked to the hospital staff they told m eis is in ICU and stable. Nothing else I can add other than they were moving from MS to someplace else. He was driving the bus alone and his wife was behind him in their car. She passed by in the other lane as traffic was slowing in his lane. When she got to the next exit to wait for him, he never showed up and she tried to go back to see what the problem was and couldn't because of the traffic back-up due to the accident!

If I hear any more I will let you know!

Ace
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 08:05:29 PM »

The fact that he's alive is a testament to the strength of his bus. The bus was stuffed in soft places. Missed the bumper and RH door post....so it would appear. Had he been driving an S&S, they'ed still be removing parts of him.
Do hope he survives...leg injury can be dealt with. One must wonder what other insults he suffered...steering wheel must have broken something. A good thing (you must look for the good) is that the accident happened in Atlanta..a location that is equipped to handle major medical entrapments efficiently. And several top tier trauma hospitals available.
Do something like this in a small town and you'll die from lack of suitable care.
Do most buses have shoulder restraints? Mine doesn't. The pix below make one think of these things.
Thank God that his wife was not in the bus with him. She will be a prized caregiver once he's stablized. He will need complete care for a bit of time.
Anyone in Atlanta that could help his wife get around, maybe help get some of their stuff from the bus?
Their things may be cannabalized once the bus hits the storage lot. Only his wife would have access to the coach. 
The bus needs a cover over the front end to try to save the contents from water damage...if this would be allowed. 
Please post an update on his condition when known. At the risk of being redundant, I'll say again, Daniel's wife may welcome some local Assistance.
My thoughts are with Daniel and his wife...JR

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 08:09:38 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Foolsgold

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 08:17:31 PM »

Good points JR.

It would be nice if anyone in the Atlanta area that could or would offer to help his wife.

I know the bus had a full size upright piano in it and it was near the passenger side front. dan was/is  a very good bus mechanic and i would trust him with any part of it. the only part that isn't inviting is that Dan never liked to say NO to anyone for anything and that almost always kept him behind schedule which made him very slow to get the jobs done and out of the shop! He specialized in electrical wiring and wired many tour coaches during their conversion process for a local converter.

It's really hard to believe this has happened to a guy that is so talented and happy about being recently married to a girl he met in church. Don't know exactly where they were moving to but this has to hurt and set them back pretty bad!

If there is anyone in the Atlanta area that would be willing ot help out, let me know and I can get all the information I can!

His pastor has been in contact with people down here on a regular basis so info will be posted as it comes in.

Thanks again...
Ace
JerryH

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 04:29:30 AM »

All good points, suggestions and comments.

When I was training for driving school bus, my instructor taught to watch vehicle in front and essentially time the distance between them and me using a point of reference as they pass it.  Then count 1/1000, 1/2000, and so on up to 6/1000 and see if I got there first.  If I did, was to back off and give at least a 6000 count between them and me.  This has stuck with me and has been a decent suggestion.

I do hope (is it?) Daniel will be ok.  It would be nice if someone local to whereever the coach is stored to empty and retrieve the contents for the McMurphy's and cover the front with a tarp.

Jerry H.
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 04:31:51 AM »

Ace, I'll be glad to help any way that I can. Please email me at 14bama@bellsouth.net. I am 30 miles west of Atlanta. Chuck

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 04:42:30 AM »

Chuck,

Thanks for stepping up to offer to help Daniel and his wife. I'm sure they will appreciate some help getting the coach and contents squared away.

I know there are other busnuts in the atlanta area. It would be great if you all could organize and help them out. Most likely, they'll need a place to store their stuff for awhile as he recovers. She'll probably need a place to stay, also, as she'll no doubt want to be near her husband.

I don't know these people, but they are part of our family. I'm willing to help if I can, but we need someone local to coordinate with them.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Foolsgold

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 09:06:13 AM »

Ok latest news I got after talking directly to Dennis, Dan's brother, is he is in ICU and stable. All vital signs are very good and he was just about to go into final surgery as of 10am to close up everything they opened yesterday. They did a scan and found no other problems anywhere. The biggest thing is he did lose both legs right above the knees.

He also said his wife WAS behind him in their car but a little ways back and saw a lot of debri and knew from the look of it that it was Dan that was involved. The bystanders would not let her get close enough and sent her directly to the hospital. Dennis said that he is still very sedated and they expect him to start communicating sometime this evening or tomorrow, though he has responded briefly to conversation from family members.

Dennis also said that they were moving from Ms to, I think he said Blairsville Ga, and this was their final trip, because of lack of work and income in Ms.. and they have NO Insurance of any kind! A fund will be started at Wachovia bank but has not been done yet so he thought!

His mother who lives here in Bushnell Fl. will be going to Atlanta Ga next Wednesday to be with him!

As for his eagle Bus and their personal belongings, a friend in Ga. and his trucking company have made arrangements to tow the bus to a safe and secure storage yard nearby and his wife and brother have already received help with their personal belongings, again, so he said!

Seeing as how the couple were a little strapped financially, and had no insurance, is this something the busnut community would want to get involved in with a $$$ fund of some sort, or maybe we can put something together at the bus rally in Arcadia? I've never done anything like this so i'm open for suggestions!

Thanks again and if anything else transpires, I'll let you know!

Ace

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: