Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 09:34:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some locksmith help  (Read 794 times)
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »

So our door latch is at the end of its life.

It was actually built/hacked into the door by someone at sawyer bus sales and its not really a replaceable part.

I'm looking to replace the latch all together and add a deadbolt to the door as well.

The door is a welded 1.5" steel frame with aluminum siding rivited to the outside of the door. I was hoping to just drill a hole in the 1.5" of steel for a latch to slide through and be able to mount the lock on the inside of the door frame.
Problem is that I can't seem to find a lock/latch that has a latch long enough to go through the 1.5" of steel. 

Maybe I am approaching this the wrong way.  I'm hoping to not have to cut and reweld 4" of steel to make a simple latch fit in the door.

What say you?  Any ideas?

-Sean

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Audiomaker

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 08:43:42 PM »

Would something like this work?

Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 09:19:31 PM »

Sean - here is a picture to describe it...Ill take a few pics and post them later...

-Sean

1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org

'Cause you know we,
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 09:20:31 PM »

this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BARGMAN-L-300-DOOR-LOCK-HANDLE-LATCH-VINTAGE/331159641853?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23772%26meid%3D7813348541027315034%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10164%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D380926013746&rt=nc

and this:http://www.doorhardwarecenter.com/schlage-b60-single-cylinder-grade-1-deadbolt

Works well and will fit a 1 1/2 inch thick door, not sure how the inards of your door are...

were I to leave my coach in storage or unattended for a period of time I would add this to prevent someone trying to pry the Bargman handle with a bar.. which I had happen once...at 140$ for a used and 3004 FOR A NEW ONE Bargman I'd consider it....

here's a new style http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Motor-Home-Door-Lock-Replacement-for-Bargman-L300-Lock-Black-NEW-FIC-/380926013746?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b0f5b132
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:25:21 PM by eagle19952 » Logged

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 09:27:30 PM »

pictures of your jamb/frame and current latch would help....old freightliner latches work pretty well too...

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
BusCrazyinFL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 04:46:33 AM »

Sean, this is what I've done to mine (and I'm a locksmith by trade).
You will have to scroll down on the page once it loads to read/see about the lock I installed on my Eagle.

http://www.eaglesinternational.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=247&start=170
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 07:31:27 AM »

Hi Sean, just the simplest of install, a standard deadbolt of the thin variety,  the door latch came from the previous owner, BusCrazy, that is impressive, lvmci...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:00:21 AM by lvmci » Logged

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 08:05:25 AM »

Manny -  We will be in FL from Dec-Feb.  Do you want some work?  I'd love to bring the bus to you and get this door done right.

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 08:07:42 AM »

Here is a pic of the door.  Its not the thickness of the door itself but rather the frame.  You can see in the picture how the rightside frame of the door has been all hacked up.

I'm thinking that easiest way to do this would be to drill a hole through the frame where I could insert a latch with a 4-5" backset.  I would like to reuse the existing RV style handles that I currently have.  At least on the exterior of the door.

I'm trying to keep it simple but its not looking too promising if I want to get it done right.

-Sean

1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org

'Cause you know we,
Audiomaker

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 09:43:09 AM »

Honestly if it were me, I'd try to repair it (or un-hack it).

If I weren't in the process of packing my shop into dry vans, I'd invite you down for a fun day of metalworking.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 10:00:11 AM »

oh my..... Huh

Donald PH
Wants Paint Smiley
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »

Manny that Eagle doesn't look anything like it did when Tom Stinnett RV had it in Clarksville IN.  You have done a fantastic job with that Eagle.

JCB
Louisville KY
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 04:18:29 PM »

JMO take a lesson from Prevost they have some nice latches I used one of their deadbolts on Matt's Eagle and never looked back or replaced it with kids you need a sturdy lock and latch they RV crap will not last   

Life is short drink the good wine first
BusCrazyinFL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 05:57:28 PM »

Sean, sure I will help you when you come to Florida. I love my RV lock and have had no problems but if it should break I will just replace it. The Prevost dead bolt is actually a mortise lock made by Corbin Russwin and they are good locks. I have worked on them also, but they too will eventually wear out - especially on entertainer coaches. I previously had a dead bolt on my door (as you can see on my post on EI) but it did not keep the door tight - it's  not meant to. The RV lock is meant to keep the door tight...what can I say?

Eagle, if you have ANY information on my Eagle I would love to hear about it! We had quite a long blog going on a fews ago on the Eagle's Intl Board titled "Trailways Red"  We were on a quest to try and find out the original VIN of our Eagle. Pretty sure I did locate it, but not 100%. When they converted it, they did a real good job of stripping it of its identity. We did title searches and called various agencies, but they said it went back too far. Contacted someone from Hercules Coach, but the owner had died and most of the records were destroyed.

We bought it from a man in Ft. Myers, FL, who bought it from Tom Stinnett RV in Indiana. The guy in Ft. Myers only had it for about a year and maybe had it on the road six times. We talked to a few people at Stinnett RV, but they weren't much help either. If you want to read that blog...here you go:
http://www.eaglesinternational.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=242&hilit=Trailways+Red
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 08:50:07 PM »

Looks like the door has been raised to match the roof line if so the top moves on the Eagle doors we have all fought that and they beat the RV latches apart,

The miles you put on the bus you may have some work to do we drove ours from 12 to 20 k miles a year and the latch was always a problem I carried one for a spare and it wasn't a cheapo either, Manny can probably fix you up but if the top is moving under way fix that problem 1st

John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 07:16:33 AM »

My bus came with an old style Bargman RV door lock, that worked but was missing the key. It also had a home style deadbolt that was used to lock the bus. Problem was after aligning the door, the deadbolt didn't line up perfectly with the hole in the door frame. To lock the door it had to be left open a half inch. Only yesterday, after 7 years, did it occur to me that maybe I could have a key made for the old Bargman. Brought it to locksmith shop and was told "good luck. We can't make keys for that". Went into a small glass/paint/lock shop in a little neighboring town. He smiled and asked where I got that from? After saying he couldn't make a key, he wrote a name and number down and said "give this guy a call". Turned out to be a guy who works out of his van. I tracked him down working in a new strip mall in Duluth and drove over. Fifteen minutes later, i left with three brand new keys for my Bargman. Cost me 23.00 bucks! Its so nice to run into these kind of craftsmen.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 07:24:06 AM »

Doors on a Eagle can be a mess most came with bi fold doors and people welded both 1/2's together making a 1 piece using the old frame it can get interesting to say the least

tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 01:30:21 PM »

Sean's door was actually built from new materials by Virginia Custom Coach when I bought the coach in 1998 from Sawyers Bus Sales and was built to replace the old double door. I never had the inside plate off of the door but the latch was a part of the door build.

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: