Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 05:38:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for 30' bus conversion  (Read 2126 times)
straycatboat

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2006, 07:33:02 PM »

I am looking for a 30' + or -  bus conversion  You know with the usual stuff... air ride , air brakes rear diesel pusher.  What Manufacturer vehicle options should I be looking at.  I noticed GMC built a 30' 4106. Was it a seated coach or just for the conversion industry? Any others ?
Rick Huh
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 09:04:20 PM »

there were only a couple of those 30 foot 06's.....used at Pikes Peak.

there si a van Hool 30 footer with a man pancack midship diesel but I think parts may be an issue

Other than that your looking at transits or some med duty truck chassis thing ie schoolie
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 01:56:11 AM »

If you're looking for a 30ish foot 'coach' then by definition there are few around because a coach operator needed a very good reason to originally buy a vehicle that would cost the same to run as it's bigger brothers, but wasn't capable of earning nearly as much. If you are looking for a 'bus' (transit in the US) then there are many more options.

I don't know about the American market for short coaches, but in even in Europe (where we have much less space generally) they are still fairly unusual - it took me quite a while to find mine. But if you do find one it will make a great conversion. European coaches generally have the chassis and body from different manufacturers - I have seen very similar short coaches (usually 8m - slightly under 30') from Volvo, Dennis, Mercedes and Bedford, with bodies by Plaxton, Van Hool and Duple. I'm not suggesting you buy a bus from Europe as it would obviously be very expensive (especially with the current very weak dollar), but I know that Mercedes, Van Hool and Volvo, and maybe others, have been imported to the States in the past, so you might try looking for some of those names.

When I was looking for a coach I kept coming across what are called 'Midi Buses' here - not as big as a full size transit, but not a minibus either. They are usually around 28 - 30' long, often with very stylish coach-built bodies - in fact some of them look just like modern coaches, but are based on Japanese van chassis', and share no components with a 'proper' coach. They make a tempting base for a conversion, but in the end I decided to go with the more tried and tested route with mine.

Hope that helps

Jeremy

Example 'Midi Bus':

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
belfert

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 09:16:15 AM »

One of those 28 foot Van Hools just sold on Ebay for $14k.  It does appear that the engine is midship.  Parts for a MAN engine are probably an issue which is why most American Van Hools have Cummins engines.

Brian Elfert
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 09:27:23 AM »

I am looking for a 30' + or -  bus conversion  You know with the usual stuff... air ride , air brakes rear diesel pusher.  What Manufacturer vehicle options should I be looking at.  I noticed GMC built a 30' 4106. Was it a seated coach or just for the conversion industry? Any others ? Rick Huh

Rick -

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.horizoncoach.com/index.cfm?go=main.inventoryView&inventory=517

HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 11:01:42 AM »

Is that 4 cylinder or v8?
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 12:43:13 PM »

Is that 4 cylinder or v8?

Brian -

I'm assuming that you're asking about the coach in the link I provided.  If you scroll thru the pics, you'll see the engine compartment, which will answer your question.

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Dallas

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 01:56:29 PM »

While Living in Spokane, Wa. I often went to the refrigerator late at night for a snack.

One early morning, about 3 AM, I got the familiar gnawing in my tummy, so decided to raid the fridge

I opened the door on the fridge and there was a duck sitting on the top shelf, happily quacking to himself and snacking on various goodies around him, (you know, pickled herring, Lutefisk, among other delectable tidbits).

Well, being amazed at the sght of a mallard in my fridge, I stood there with my mouth both slack and agape!

Finally, I got the ability to speak back and asked him what he was doing in there.

He looked at me like I was totally insane and said,

"Isn't this  a Westinghouse"?

When I answered in the afirmative, he immediately answered, "Well, I'm Westing"!

**********************************************************************************************************

Shhhhhh..... Be VEWY, VEWY, Quiet!..... Weuw hunting WabbitS!!!!!
BusCrazyTom

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 02:41:30 PM »

Right after that experience, Dallas, I take it you found Prince Albert in a can....

Tom
Dallas

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 03:21:09 PM »

Right after that experience, Dallas, I take it you found Prince Albert in a can....

Tom

That's weird!!!
I posted on the topic, "Joke of the week 26"

Now I'll see if I can move it.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 04:10:49 PM »

Tom

That's weird!!!

Hmmmm. Thought you might have been smokin' something. LOL
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 04:24:28 PM »

I have played around trying to do that and have never been successful and I ended up copying it, then deleting that post, then making a new post where you want it and pasting it in. Or am I telling you too much? LOL
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 04:32:53 PM »

That's weird!!!

Ya ya sure ya did! what was it you and that duck was smokin'? BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dallas

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 04:50:55 PM »

That's weird!!!

Ya ya sure ya did! what was it you and that duck was smokin'? BK  Grin

Smoked duck,

What else?HuhHuh??

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 12:49:08 PM »

This thread's hijacking is driving me quackers. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 02:11:45 PM »

Quack, Quack!
Richard

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: