Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 03:13:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WIFI repeater/bridge?  (Read 673 times)
Audiomaker

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2014, 08:56:48 AM »

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a solution to get external WIFI signal from truck stops and public WIFI sources into my rig.

Because of the construction of my truck, radio signals are significantly decreased in strength between the exterior and the interior.

I already have a personal hotspot for paid data through the cell network, and I will be getting an amplified antenna for that hotspot.

In addition, I will be getting a cell signal repeater so I can talk on the phone inside the rig.

...but what about WI-FI?

I need something that will pull in all the available WI-FI routers in the area and let me choose and sign in (if locked) just like my laptop normally does...except with bi directional amplification and both internal and external antennas.

What's out there?

Thanks!
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »

Check technomadia's web site.   

they are the internet wi-fi experts.

Also odyssey who is now on a boat  he is sharp also.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
DriverGT5

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 10:40:39 AM »

Because of the construction of my truck, radio signals are significantly decreased in strength between the exterior and the interior.

2" of lead isn't conducive to a strong signal?  Huh Grin

1968 Eagle Series 05 - 7616
8v71
www.tinyhouselife.com
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 01:11:39 PM »

This is who we bought ours from, works great!

http://www.wifiranger.com/

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
bs4104

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 02:43:40 PM »

You can used one like this Nanostation-M2 or Nanostation-M5
 Ubiquiti NanoStation M2 by Ubiquiti about $80

See the video on seting it up
How to get free internet connection with nano station loco m2

102A3 N14 Auto Shift
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 04:43:33 PM »

LOL we bought a NetGear from BestBuy while in Idaho don't waste your money on it the 2 beer cans I was using worked better and tasted better

Life is short drink the good wine first
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »

Go to the Escapees Club forum and click on the mobile internet section.  Every question you will have has already been answered there.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Audiomaker

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 08:43:33 PM »

Thanks for the links guys (and the humor Luvrbus Smiley).

I just spent 4 hours going down the mobile wifi rabbit hole... my head is spinning.
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 09:33:53 PM »

Sean - focus on cell signal not wifi.  70% of the public wifi these days is super slow and has horrible bandwidth shared with many people.  We find that about 90% of the time a solid cell signal is faster for data then most wifi hotspots. I should mention your focus may differ if you have to pay for bandwidth.  We have 2 plans with 2 carriers that both have unlimited data on cellular network.

Dependable wifi is usually a Library, Starbucks, Lowes or a McDonald's that has managed wifi but even in those cases the cellular network is often much faster.  Truckstops, Campgrounds and highly populated areas with unmanaged wifi networks are usually the worst.

That's my non-technical 2 cents worth.

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Audiomaker

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 09:35:09 AM »

Sean - focus on cell signal not wifi.  70% of the public wifi these days is super slow and has horrible bandwidth shared with many people.  We find that about 90% of the time a solid cell signal is faster for data then most wifi hotspots. I should mention your focus may differ if you have to pay for bandwidth.  We have 2 plans with 2 carriers that both have unlimited data on cellular network.

Dependable wifi is usually a Library, Starbucks, Lowes or a McDonald's that has managed wifi but even in those cases the cellular network is often much faster.  Truckstops, Campgrounds and highly populated areas with unmanaged wifi networks are usually the worst.

That's my non-technical 2 cents worth.

-Sean

Thanks Sean,
Yeah... it's a bandwidth issue and I'm a data hog.
I'm also shopping for external antennas for my hotspot (ATT Unite Pro).

I was on an unlimited data plan (grandfathered) for my iPhones and iPads, but going mobile prompted me into getting a hotspot and trading  out my unlimited data plan for what is currently a 15g/month shared data plan.   I can almost get by on that if I don't stream much or update my software.

The more that I use a free wifi source, the more data reserve I have on my hotspot for the times when I might not be able to connect to wifi.
This includes unsecured wifi at people's houses and such....where I might update an app' at off hours...etc.

Before anyone freaks out about that, I always left a guest connection unsecured at my house for just that reason (WAN was open, LAN was secure). 
Having been around the net since command line BBS's, I've always felt that it would be a better world if people left a guest channel open and didn't get so possessive about it.  I have no problem if someone wants to check their email or grab an important update while traveling.
The problem is when your neighbors forego getting their own net in favor of "borrowing" yours 24/7.
Most modern systems have ways to prevent that however.... timeouts and bandwidth limits...etc.   I just left mine open an monitored the connections occasionally to look for squatters.
If everyone did this, we wouldn't be looking for a Starbucks to get online, and it would be a small price to pay for the convenience of being able to get online most places you are traveling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: