Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 03:16:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Try to decide on new wheels Steel v Aluminum  (Read 1493 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 08:28:52 PM »

I had a steel wheel crack where the wheel was welded together under the tire.  The crack was causing my new tire to leak down overnight.  It took several trips back to the tire dealer before they found the problem.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Nineforever
Nineforever

100 klms south of Yellowknife NWT Canada

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 09:46:44 PM »

Good quality steel wheels maintained are the way to go fancy inserts are okay as long as your stud wheel nuts are not hidden   ,,,, Aluminum stud pilot wheels can be trouble be there done that .

Hyway 3 100 klms south of Yellowknife NWT Canada
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 06:00:19 PM »

I've wondered about chrome plated steel wheels. Anyone done that?

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 06:25:54 AM »

They say the tire bead won't seat on on chrome plated wheels I read an article on that 20 years ago in a truckers magazine, aluminum wheels are the way to go I saw only a few with center ripped out and have saw stacks of the steel wheels with the center gone FWIW

Life is short drink the good wine first
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 08:03:51 AM »

I can tell you first hand that the centers break out.  I was hit by one from another truck going the opposite direction once.  It was not pretty.  I also had one come off a trailer coming out of New Jersey and that one nearly hit a Buster Brown (UPS) truck.  Never did find that tire.  My boss was mad because he had to replace the tire.  He wanted me to pay for it.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 08:20:34 AM »

Never said the centers didn't break on aluminum wheels,I have a friend in the heavy haul business I mean heavy 100 tons + he said the aluminum wheels work better for him not for weight but endurance so I don't know as I ran aluminum wheels all the way around on my haul truck (8 axles) not for the weight it wasn't important as we were all ways a permit load to begin with over weight and over width
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:38:40 AM by luvrbus » Logged

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 08:42:59 AM »

The only real disadvantage to aluminum wheels is that if you kiss a curb, you can crack them (don't ask how I know). Steel wheels can bend. You can pound back a steel wheel if you bend it-been there done that with a big sledge. But-personally, all my trucks and bus have aluminum. Like the look and the vehicle does ride better without the additional unsprung weight of steel wheels. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 09:05:23 AM »

To each his own, some prefer the look of the steely wheels and some the alum ones. Since installing our Alcoa's we have received many compliments on them. We waited to get them til it was time to get new rubber, haven't noticed any ride difference yet since our bus rides on a cloud as it is   Grin The shine of the alum is what really turns on the curb appeal and charm.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:06:56 AM by Van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »

I don't believe you can even order a Prevost bus with steel wheels I notice even the dogs have aluminum wheels, aluminum wheels are standard issue on the Prevost and have been for years 

CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 10:50:12 AM »

According to the spec sheets, the PREVOST H and PREVOST X list steel wheels as standard equipment for seated coaches but aluminum is standard on conversions shells.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 11:37:53 AM »

That well could I never read the specs or pay much attention to seated coaches,I just walked by a Setra and Prevost one time in Needles and noticed the aluminum wheels on a dog never saw it before with that cheap outfit 

CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 12:55:45 PM »

It would be neat if those old DAYTON style wheels(spoke with demountable rim) were still offered. They never as far as I could tell were available on North American transit and over the road buses but were very popular on skookies until about the late 90's to early '00's and then steel disc and aluminum were and are the choices. With good reasons they stopped offering them but to imagine a MCI or PREVOST with those wheels would be interesting. Wheel covers could be used to cover up what many deemed ugly as far as wheels were concerned.
Connel
Eagle 05 w/Ser60 & HD4060PR

Day Eagle landed & before total rebuild.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 06:57:44 PM »

Am parting out my 05 Eagle. Replaced all the studs on my hubs but can not remember where they were purchased. Have the lug nuts you need and also have nine 24.5 alum wheels available.
papaseagle at g mail dot com

Central Oklahoma

Refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 05:48:59 AM »

Connel, Does that 05 have a control valve and a slave cylinder on the clutch system. If so I am interested in those parts.

Wayne

303-591-0372
shelled

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 11:41:25 AM »

I've wondered about chrome plated steel wheels. Anyone done that?

from Wikipedia :

"Hydrogen embrittlement can occur during various manufacturing operations or operational use - anywhere that the metal comes into contact with atomic or molecular hydrogen. Processes that can lead to this include cathodic protection, phosphating, pickling, and electroplating."

Chrome plating is done by electroplating.  If I remember correctly, unless special processing is done - as in OEM production - chrome plating structurally weakens wheels.

YMMV

edward

Rampside/UltraVan/Excalibur/4104/4107/etc -- Dallas Tx
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: