Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 04:43:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dina Bus  (Read 1316 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 06:47:51 AM »

Those had add on dash units like the ARA or Red Dot or other brands had a small compressor on the engine and 80 ft of hoses Roll Eyes

Life is short drink the good wine first
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 07:53:27 AM »

Hey guys, how would you describe a Dina, MCI like, or more like an Eagle, GM, in what way? Good point, bad? Lvmci...

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
shelled

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 12:08:47 PM »

Hey guys, how would you describe a Dina, MCI like, or more like an Eagle, GM, in what way? Good point, bad? Lvmci...

Roundaboutly -- In about 1904, one of the founders of Flxible was Charles Kettering who was also a founder of Delco and went on to become "Boss Kettering" at General Motors and the guiding light behind development of 2-stroke Detroit Diesels and Yellow Coach/GM busses with angle drives.  His involvement with both GM and Flxible was a big part of the DOJ antitrust suit against GM.  Flxible ended up with a lot of GM technology which passed on to Dina.

So there was a lot of both Flxible and GM heritage in Dina but by the 1990's and thereafter I suspect it would be hard to find.

edward

Rampside/UltraVan/Excalibur/4104/4107/etc -- Dallas Tx
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »

BK...What kind of fuel milage you get loaded with people,? got to way more then this conversion and two old people...

Box Elder,S.D.  Battle Mountain,NV

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 03:24:51 PM »

The suspension is similar to a Eagle with the Torsilastic difference is Eagle uses a round tube for a better ride where the Dina has a square tube torsilastic,the tag is similar to a MCI it operates on air,they are a tough bus made for Mexican hi ways  
I think the bodies are made in Spain for some models,not much S/S used in construction so rust is a  problem and the Roto Chamber brakes are expensive to replace so most are converted over to regular chambers by the owners really not a bus I would care to own  Grin

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 03:22:35 PM »

Yes, I have converted all of my brake chambers from rotochambers to regular brake chambers for cost reasons.  Parts and labor to convert all four of the rotochambers to regular brake chambers was about the same as one new rotochamber.  The Dina Viaggio 1000 body was made by Marco Polo.  I thought they made them in Brazil.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 03:37:20 PM »

I think they were made in Brazil I also changed the Roto to regular pods on the schools Dina here,MCI wanted over 900 bucks each for the type 30 Rotochambers it made the DD3 look cheap the diaphragms were 80 bucks each for the Rotochambers
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:42:35 PM by luvrbus » Logged

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 07:50:16 PM »

MCI's prices for the rotochambers are sky high.  I had the brakes serviced once and a rotochamber was bad.  The garage found one locally, but it was $500.  Still much less than MCI wants.  I wasn't aware at the time that I could have regular brake chambers installed on both wheels for way less money.  I was having trouble with brake chambers not returning fully so I finally had all of the remaining brake chambers replaced last year including the drive wheel chambers.  I still have a nearly new rotochamber sitting around if someone wants it.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 06:26:36 AM »

Dina has torsion suspension kinda like an Eagle.  Airbags on tag axle only.

Good:
Series 60 engine
Allison B500 transmission
One of cheapest buses with factory Series 60
Flat floor front to rear except riser in back for rearmost seat.
Pretty good MPG for a large bus
There is a frame in back so easy to add hitch
Walls and ceiling spray foamed (Not the best job)
Bus has modern euro look
Skin is heavy aluminum

Bad:
Air intake can be plugged by bird nest easily.  (Need to add mesh over intake.)
Dina specific parts are mostly obsolete except windshields and the like
Tag and front axles use expensive rotochambers (Can be replaced by regular chambers)
Entrance door requires air and is hard to keep adjusted due to being very tall (No hinges)
Windshields are hard to replace since there is no lock strip
OTR air conditioning ducted through luggage bays
MCI sold these in USA, but MCI tech support knows nothing about them.  (They know more about an MC-5 than a Dina.)
No cradle for engine so hard to remove
Weird mix of metric and standard fasteners
Battery disconnect does not disconnect 12 volt draws
Bathroom is difficult to remove due to being fiberglass with tons of spray foam underneath
Frame is galvanized, not stainless
Buses used in salt will be rusty.  Aluminum skin will corrode with enough salt
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:41:11 AM by belfert » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: