Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 03:12:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turbo clamp  (Read 217 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2014, 07:23:41 AM »

I don't often find myself looking inside those rear doors of my coach.  There's too much big, noisy, dirty stuff back there for me.  But this week I installed an air throttle and found myself elbow deep inside those doors.  While I was musing at all the unusual things attached to that big chunk of cast iron I noticed a loose clamp.  Now I'm no mechanic, but I figure it probably was there to hold something important. 

So, today I'll stop at NAPA and ask if they have one, if not I'll call Luke.  But, when I install the new one how tight do I torque the bolt?  It looks like it would be rather easy to break that little t-bolt, but I certainly don't want to be too gentle.

Thanks

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
georgemci102a2

1988 MCI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 07:58:58 AM »

Dave, Thats a common clamp,I found mine broken just like yours the other day when doing the new exhaust on mine.Went to the local truck supply store and picked one up for 12 bucks.Dont know bout torque i just snugged it down....George

1988 mci 102a2/6v92ta/Grovetown,Ga.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 08:06:04 AM »

RG Ray is the best clamp there are others a lot cheaper but I pay the 75 bucks for the American made s/s Ray you won't break the 5/16 tee bolt in a Ray clamp and don't buy a cheapo stamped V band clamp unless you buy 2  Grin and fwiw a OEM clamp from DD cost over a 100 bucks for S/S, the Ray with the S/S tee bolt torques 40 lbs for the 5/16 bolt size 1/4 inch around 30 lbs
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:41:53 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:07:08 AM »

NAPA quoted me about $28 bucks but it will take 4 - 5 days.  He didn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling that he found the right part so I left.  I sent Luke an email and tried to call but no answer.  I'll let you know what I decide to do when I talk to him. 

Luvrbus, I know you're right - you usually are, but 75 bucks for that clamp makes me squirm.  I hope you're wrong this time (like that will ever happen Smiley )

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 09:21:20 AM »

looky here....measure what you have first....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=v+band+clamp&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xrg+ray+v+band+clamp&_nkw=rg+ray+v+band+clamp&_sacat=0
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 09:23:44 AM »

Dave you can buy cheaper clamps I just don't like steel clamps because with the heat they stretch see the nice clamps you have on the pipes those are 40 bucks each,wait and see what Luke charges when he gets back on Monday he may have a good replacement for less money lol I am set in ways as you can see and to old to change now  Cool

Life is short drink the good wine first
krank

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 10:00:39 AM »

As you are tightening the clamp give it little taps all around, tighten a little more, tap a little more, you get the idea.

Jim A.
1996 MC12
(Sunchaser)
Winnipeg, MB.
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 10:06:52 AM »

Paint around both lips with antiseize and the clamp will slide up nice and snug without torquing the H out of the bolt. Just tight; don't go crazy. NAPA clamps are all right, I've used them. You could probably go to a truck stop/ repair location for one if you're in a hurry.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: