Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 03:51:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tires???  (Read 391 times)
solodon

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2014, 06:46:24 PM »

OK, I'm finally getting around to trying to move this thing, and want to go to a place to spray the underside in the axle area.  The bus is just a shell and about as light as it can get.  I've already left the tag axle tires off but it's been suggested that I only put on outer tires so there is more access in the area of the axle.  Is having only one tire per side on the axle safe for speeds under 50 mph???  Will be driving city type streets to a wash and back.  BTW the tires are all about 10 years old but I shouldn't be heating them up at all.  Total distance wouldn't be over 40 miles probably.  I do not have adequate water supply where the bus is to use a pressure washer there.

Thanks, Don

Don
1979 MC9
8V71,Automatic.
Indianapolis, IN
Just getting started. Bags are in, interior metal out ready to insulate and cover, then do the floor
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 07:17:01 PM »

To me that would be a roll of the dice with the tag tires off I don't think I would try it myself,the rear is the heaviest part of a bus with the tag tires installed I would try it JMO

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:50:38 PM »

It doesn't take many miles or high speed to heat up a tire. I have watched my tire pressure monitor when first driving and after just 4-5 miles the pressure has increased from the temp going up.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:42:52 PM »

Hi Don, the heat of the day, is probably your worst enemy, next to the age of the tires, friction created heat from speed. Cant they just take off the tag axle tires? Bring rv tire covers to protect your tires,  get a couple of used tires that are newer, lvmci...

Mci 102C3 8V92, Allison 4 speed 740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
solodon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 05:29:30 AM »

Thanks for the responses.  I'm not going to do it.  Just seems too much weight for only 2 tires. 

Don
1979 MC9
8V71,Automatic.
Indianapolis, IN
Just getting started. Bags are in, interior metal out ready to insulate and cover, then do the floor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: