Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 04:40:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air Compressor Failure  (Read 2792 times)
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 01:36:19 AM »

Recall the CFM on the replacement was 16 or 17 cfm, the original was 15 I think. Its wonderful to get old.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 05:05:58 AM »

You guys need to get off your high horses and get over yourselves.

Other than the unethical act of returning the compressor, what he did was perfectly fine and legal. As he stated, he ran the line out the back window and aired up the coach, so he obviously plugged the compressor into the bus air and had the entire system at 120 psi, not just the brakes. This is more than enough air to safely operate the brakes. His service brakes and emergency brakes were not inoperative. The Home Depot compressor was maintaining proper pressure in the system and he was able to safely get his bus to a repair place (his home). Nothing he did was illegal or unsafe. Yes, I don't agree with returning the compressor, but that's not what this board is about.

I have personally done exactly what he did when my compressor broke (though I kept the compressor to install in the bus). That 120v compressor ran every 16 minutes to replenish the bus air to 120 psi. It kicked on at 100 and off at 120. There was nothing unsafe about it and it allowed me to get the bus to a place where it could be repaired.

For those of you chastising him for use of the portable air compressor, I expect to read that when you have a similar problem, that you paid the big bucks for a tow truck and professional repair. It would be unethical for you do anything else, and leaving the bus on the side of the road while you perform a repair would be illegal and dangerous.

Yes, some of you people need to get over yourselves.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 05:12:39 AM »

Boy oh boy does this thread sound familiar?

And that's all I gots to say about that! (except I too kept the compressor, well sort of I sold it to our mechanic as he wanted for his garage @ home)
Grin  BK  Grin
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 05:15:36 AM »

It is illegal in Ontario, where I held an air brake endorsement to my driver's license.  The incident happened on the 401 highway which is an Ontario highway.  The vehicle must be compliant with DOT regulations at all times when operated on a public road, including the air compressor.  Adding a non-DOT approved, non- CMVSS compliant air compressor to replace the installed one is illegal, operating a vehicle that cannot pass a daily air brake inspection is illegal.  If it's criminally illegal depends on the charge that an officer might place, and on what a court might decide.  The Ontario air brake course and air brake test covers this in detail.  

Licensed vehicle recovery operators are allowed to do things that ordinary drivers aren't allowed to do.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
digesterman

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 05:39:55 AM »

In any emergency common sense should have the preference. I really can not see a policeman stopping someone from moving a disabled vehicle off a busy highway by whatever means that appears to work safely, I'm with you grumpy.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Lee
Le Mirage XL 45E
Detroit Series 60
470HP
94,000 original miles (7-2014)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 05:44:59 AM »

I believe that has been done more than people admit to it Grin,Cole's 15 axle Talbert 250 ton lowboys all have auxiliary compressors from the factory

Life is short drink the good wine first
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 06:27:16 AM »

I believe that has been done more than people admit to it Grin,Cole's 15 axle Talbert 250 ton lowboys all have auxiliary compressors from the factory

They probably don't operate them on the 401.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 09:11:15 AM »

All I can say is wow. Treating someone rudely because they did something you disagree with is even MORE morally wrong, with what you said he did! I usually stay out of the politics on this board, but not when it involves a newbie asking for help! Remember what has been freely given to you without judging you, and give it back. Getting off my soap box, and checking to see how many people I have ignoring me now Roll Eyes

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1
BlakeWright

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 09:16:05 AM »

Thanks HARLEYMAN_1000.

I posted on this web site to get some help, I didn't expect to be chastised.

I took advantage of Home Depot's return policy and returned a compressor I didn't need or want, I didn't lie to them, they knew I used it and they took it back.

I want to thank LUVRBUS for his input and GUMPY for his comments.

I hadn't posted on this site in a long time and this is an experience I will not repeat.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 10:36:05 AM »

As far as the air compressor failing-things happen. Buy a rebuilt, or new compressor, put it on and go down the road. I would not carry a spare. But an electric is a nice thing to have. There are some really quiet oiless compressors made. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
shelled

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 12:44:12 PM »

I removed the compressor from the engine, it was seized.  The drive hub had sheared the key and was spinning freely on the compressor crankshaft.
On closer examination, it appears as if a piston seized in the bore, because the rods were loose on the crankshaft.

The question is WHY?  I don't want to put a new air compressor on and have the same problem.  There was lots of anti-freeze in the compressor, so it is being cooled.  The rods were OK, so it must be getting oil.  There is an alcohol system on the coach, would that wash to oil off the cylinder walls?

Any hints on re-installing the compressor i.e. aligning the drive.

All the posts and nobody answered the questions.  What's the point of a newbie asking a question here if there is no answer Huh

edward

Rampside/UltraVan/Excalibur/4104/4107/etc -- Dallas Tx
gus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 02:47:42 PM »

I believe Tom did answer one of his questions.

"The question is WHY?"

This question is impossible to answer by remote control!!

"There is an alcohol system on the coach, would that wash to oil off the cylinder walls?"

No. The alcohol system is downstream of the comp.

"Any hints on re-installing the compressor i.e. aligning the drive."

Maybe there aren't any answers, maybe it is self aligning! Maybe nobody knows!

He brought this on himself;
"I took advantage of Home Depot's return policy and returned a compressor I didn't need or want, I didn't lie to them, they knew I used it and they took it back."

This is a sad excuse for an excuse!! He did need it and he did use it. He had absolutely no valid reason to return it, it was not a rental. Sad!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:55:23 PM by gus » Logged

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 03:23:59 PM »

I get failed compressors from time to time,the water cooling is only at the head the little block is not water cooled the water has to circulate I see it where people have the in and out line tied to the same port on the engine the compressor gets hot there goes $$$  I would check the intake, oil supply line and the water feed that is common practice before installing a new compressor in the real world

Life is short drink the good wine first
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 05:29:18 PM »

I believe that has been done more than people admit to it Grin

I agree, at least on the use of the compressor for powering the air system.  Over the years I have seen a lot of people, myself included, on and off the forum, use some pretty hokey solutions to limp home.  It is appropriate to point out if something is illegal or dangerous, but also recognize that most here have done illegal things to get a bus home. Same goes with moral issues.  Quite a few bus nuts have done things that are morally questionable, or at least tricking the system to "get it done."   Whether it is registering a bus as an RV and then using it commercially, hacking in frame modifications but then telling the title office no modifications were made, misleading an insurance agent to get a bus conversion insured, creating a Montana business entity to save on taxes at home, moving the bus a few feet per month to beat the local laws about non moving vehicles, making that first bring it home trip with an unlicensed, improperly licensed, and/or uninsured bus, driving it without all external lights operating properly, running on bad tires,  taking the guts out of a catalytic converter rather than the expense of replacing it, ...  the list could go on indefinitely.  Virtually everyone here has done something unorthodox, morally questionable, or even outright illegal in the course of their bus ownership and in everyday life.  Anybody here break the speed limit?  (Maybe the easier question would be, anybody here that has never broke the speed limit intentionally?) Use a cell phone while driving?

One of the big problems this forum faces is that it is developing a bad reputation for being brutal.  There are people talking about it on BNO, Facebook, at rallies, and privately.  This is a shameful thing.  Just a few short years ago this forum was a close knit extended family that stuck together and supported each other online and off.  It was very welcoming to newcomers and the more experienced members guided us newbies along and helped us to become seasoned bus nuts.  Now there are many new bus nuts lurking because they don't want to risk getting attacked for asking the wrong question or mentioning doing something that wasn't "right."  There are experienced bus nuts that have stopped posting because they got tired of people arguing with them over their advice to others.

So everyone, let's please get back to helping, welcoming, and encouraging everyone.  Remember what your mama taught you, "if you haven't got something good to say ..."  Let's get back to being the forum that people flock to because they have heard it is "the place" to learn and get expert help.
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 07:33:52 PM »

Well, hightechredneck has made me feel appropriately guilty for expressing my opinion on the compressor return, I really didn't need to do that.  I'm also a newbie and need every bit of help I can get.

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: