Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 23, 2014, 11:24:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI Wheel Well Liners  (Read 774 times)
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2006, 09:40:14 PM »

I've removed one of the rear drive wheel's fiberglass wheel well tonight so that I can re-seal it.  I'm planning on using a polyurethane sealer for the fiberglass.  Is there something better?  Most of that area is in pretty good shape despite a bit of damp insulation.  The only real rust is that thin piece of steel that covers the top of the fiberglass.  Does anybody know what this is for?  Have most just left it out when it really rusty, replaced it, or just used it like it is (with the rust)? 

I was amazed at how easy all those bolts came out - I think I only broke the heads off three.  Now how to access the wheel wells on the tag axles isn't so evident.  I'll tackle that one in a few days. Thanks for any input.

David
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 12:05:15 PM »

Now I KNOW some of you have dealt with this before.  What did you do (if anything) about the metal pieces that cover the fiberglass?  Thanks.

David
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 02:03:31 PM »

Yeah, I replaced that piece. They were totally rotted away. I bought some steel sheet, and bent the ends with a couple pieces of 2x4 clamped on either side.

I think they are probaby for to keep rocks from going through the fiberglass too easily. I'd recommend replacing them if you're in there. Easy to do.

I think I used polyurethane to seal, also. The downside is with changes in temp, poly will pull away. Butyl won't. You may need to do periodic maintenance, removing the old and recaulking every few years.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: