Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
August 31, 2016, 09:17:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anything to do if I don't use bus at all for nearly two years?  (Read 883 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2016, 08:11:10 PM »

It is looking like I won't be using my bus at all this year so it will probably be two years between uses.  Anything special I should do this summer to help the bus?  I really would like to avoid the $700 for yearly oil change, greasing, and what not if I can help it.  I would have to get insurance turned on for the bus to take it anywhere.

I am down to only three of us to make our annual trip and that just isn't enough drivers to pull it off. 

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
DoubleEagle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 05:23:29 AM »

At the least, you should have a trickle charger (smart type) on the batteries, and you should start it up in place to circulate the oil and get it warmed up, but do not idle it for any long period (use fast idle). Check the tire pressure, and move the coach a little if you can, to change where the tires sit. Cover the tires with something to keep the sun off. I am sure others will suggest additional things, but basically it will suffer if it just sits without any attention.

Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 spd Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, HT740
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 07:41:35 AM »

Diesel engines are remarkably resilient to sitting (have a Onan gen that sat for 6years that started up like I had started it yesterday). Smart battery charger, or just plainly take the batteries out. Put Diesel Service fuel conditioner in it and run it to get the fuel through everything. I'm under the opinion it is better to let it sit, then run in place-especially a 2 stroke Detroit. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 08:47:51 AM »

Get the weight off the tires and your suspension,some folks put carpet under each tire it's supposed to slow down the aging process and help with flat spotting I don't know if works or not but it's worth a try 2 tires will cost over $700   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:00:35 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 04:34:59 PM »

Clifford should it be Shag or indoor outdoor!... Wink

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 06:32:55 PM »

It is a Series 60, but I have always heard diesel should either stay shut off, or taken out on the road to warm up.  I already keep a smart trickle charger on the batteries.

I am hoping I can still round up enough guys to go this year, but not looking good right now.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 06:47:23 PM »

Clifford should it be Shag or indoor outdoor!... Wink

LOL you got me I never paid any attention to the ones I saw,a ugly shag should work fine though 

Life is short drink the good wine first
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 05:45:52 AM »

My 1991 8V92TA hadn't been started in 7 years when i bought about 6 years ago. Stored in climate controlled bus barn. Put batteries in the puppy and drove it home 400 miles after getting it serviced and putting new tires on. Never have had a problem with engine. Now getting everything else working was a biotch.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 04:20:21 PM »

Another important thing to consider and address is a very close, slow and detailed INSIDE inspection of the Bus Conversion.  Two, (2) years is plenty of time for unwanted visitors to take up residence inside in the most non likely places.

Particularly if any sort of edible food, crumbs or food smells were left inside.

Not only the usual suspects like ants, mice and rats, but also all kinds of smaller and perhaps not so small critters taking a liking to live and thrive in tight snug spots.  Most will be harmless .... wasps, skunks and rattlesnakes less so.

If you see zero evidence of either mice or rats, consider asking yourself why.  Snakes and skunks come to mind.  Both make nice pets, but one must work at it.  Please do not ask how we know this to be true.  Embarrassing and stinky.  Smiley
DoubleEagle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 06:43:29 PM »

Yes, it is amazing how small a hole some creatures need to get in. Even if the hole is not big enough, they will try to make it bigger even if it means chewing the insulation off wires and some of the wire as well. Mice seem to be the most pervasive of all, but small snakes (when they get in) do pretty well.

Walter
Dayton, Ohio
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 07:31:25 AM »

Consider the implications of the brakes rusting solid to the drums.

Back them off for storage, or periodically build the air somehow to release them.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
DoubleEagle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 01:49:41 PM »

Consider the implications of the brakes rusting solid to the drums.

Good point! Beyond releasing them, I would move the coach back and forth enough to scrape the rust off the full circumference of the drum, if you can't take it out on the road. Condensation from humid air and temperature changes can get them wet enough without ever going through a puddle.

Walter
Dayton, Ohio
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: